Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 15:06   #1
BHPian

Only Indica DLE & DLS to continue. All other Indica (Disel) varients phased out.

Just been to two Tata dealers in Pune. Got to know following at both the dealerships:

All the Turbo variants of Indica Diesel i.e. DLS Turbo, DLG Turbo, DLX Turbo are phased out. (to make way for Vista TDi) Only DLE and DLS are in production now.

Tata dealers are not allowed to sale Indica Vista under tourist passing by Tata Motors. One dealership in Maharashtra who did, was penalised for 2.5 Lacs by Tata Motors. (Source: Salesperson at Pune dealership)

I guess these two moves are connected. Seems they want Indica V2 to continue as tourist vehicle and Vista as a upmarket hatch.

There are hardly any Indica Turbos left in stock with Pune dealers. Is it wise to get one (for prospective DLS NA buyer) before they are sold out?
Old 26th November 2008, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I say Buy if you have a soft spot for the older gen indica, and not keen on getting a vista TDi - they should occupy the same price point nowadays. Between the NA and the turbo, its turbo any day!

Plus points - cheap, rugged, parts from the indigo will be available , and parts in general will still be cheap since the same will be needed by taxiwallahs. and will be faster ( in absolute terms) than the vista

minus points - wont be as refined, as you said, the TDi Vista has a cable operated gearbox,so less NVH and more space.

PS: check if there are any indica dicor's in stock, and get the DLG (unless you plan to use it only for city driving, in which case the lack of an intercooler wont be felt much, and the 13" wheels of the DLS turbo will be easier to steer)

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th November 2008 at 15:33.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

The DICOR engine of indixx has been a failure.
Stick to the TDi or the Quadrajet.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:45   #4
BHPian

Now all we need is ABS and Airbags on the Vista.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am getting an offer for a Indica Xeta at a very tempting price.We got few long trips in car(hardly 700kms) and I usually roam around in my Bullet.SO ,is it better to get a petrol indica rather than Diesel One?My friend is pestering me to choose this option.yes ,it is a 2007 model for 1.75lakhs!

Is there any problems with Petrol Engine of Xeta and/or for procuring spare parts?
What is the expected mileage?

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th November 2008 at 15:51.
Old 26th November 2008, 15:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

This means that those older Indica will on sale targeting the tourist market and the Vista will eventually be the new Indica that it was supposed to be from day one.

But how can TATA decide how the public uses its cars ? I think that this is wrong move that they dont allow tourist passing. If TATA wants its products not to be utilized as tourist vehicles, then they must do it with better products i.e. giving better petrol motors like Wagon R/Santro/Swift have.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:06   #7
BANNED

Tata should have sell the Vista with a new name instead of using the 'Indica' brand and position it well above Indica, because it is a completely new and better model. There they made a big mistake.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am getting an offer for a Indica Xeta at a very tempting price.We got few long trips in car(hardly 700kms) and I usually roam around in my Bullet.SO ,is it better to get a petrol indica rather than Diesel One?My friend is pestering me to choose this option.yes ,it is a 2007 model for 1.75lakhs!

Is there any problems with Petrol Engine of Xeta and/or for procuring spare parts?
What is the expected mileage?
Is this a brand new car unsold car? or is it a used one?
Old 26th November 2008, 16:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

^used one offer.It is(was?) for sale at 2 lakh inr earlier.I asked a motor consultant regarding this price.he said xeta dont get a good resale value.I am concerned about the maintanence part and the mileage part.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

how many km run/which variant/1.2 or 1.4L engine?

maintainence , wont be too hard, but mileage is ~10 in the city and 12.5ish in the highway, but the engine is very torquey, but coarse

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th November 2008 at 16:32.
Old 26th November 2008, 16:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Tata dealers are not allowed to sale Indica Vista under tourist passing by Tata Motors. One dealership in Maharashtra who did, was penalised for 2.5 Lacs by Tata Motors. (Source: Salesperson at Pune dealership)

I guess these two moves are connected. Seems they want Indica V2 to continue as tourist vehicle and Vista as a upmarket hatch.
If true (I have my doubts) I don't think that's a very good move on the part of Tata.

Most of the Indica taxis, especially in smaller cities are registered as private vehicles. How will Tata prevent their use as Taxi? By lodging complaints with transport authorities against the owners?

As a matter of fact, Vista should prove to be a better taxi than Indica: more space, better & more comfortable seats, more reliable engine with longer life, less tyre wear because of changed suspension, etc.

If Tata is indeed resorting to such a restrictive trade practice, the same is liable to be challenged under the MRTP Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The DICOR engine of indixx has been a failure.
Can you substantiate that statement?

Last edited by directinjection : 26th November 2008 at 16:51.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:05   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Super! Fantastic. In effect:

Tata Indica : Taxi, commercial / budget use

Vista : Personal use.

I only wish the Vista wasn't callled & didn't look so much like the Indica. That would make its positioning solid.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how many km run/which variant/1.2 or 1.4L engine?

maintainence , wont be too hard, but mileage is ~10 in the city and 12.5ish in the highway, but the engine is very torquey, but coarse
Knew Kms run is very low.claimed 20K .I dont know about the engine version though.
But it is a let down that the mileage is so low.I`m out.better hunt for the diesel one.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour recently bought a Xeta & he too said that the top end variant has been stopped & now there is only one (or was it 2 not sure) variant(s) of Xeta on sale.
Old 26th November 2008, 18:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If TATA wants its products not to be utilized as tourist vehicles, then they must do it with better products i.e. giving better petrol motors like Wagon R/Santro/Swift have.
Oh no..no. If Tata made Indica similiar to Wagon R /Swift/ Santro, I would have never bought it. I would miss out on the space or highway handling or rear seat comfort or wider tires or the independent suspension or roll-over properties or robustness of build or road cornering abilities or ground clearance or ...or...

Last edited by sridhga : 26th November 2008 at 18:13.

Most Viewed