Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 22:18   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hindustan Ambassador revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Dear sir,

The unions and the courts are the ones keeping the Ambassador alive. If Mr CK Birla had had his way, HM would have been closed down by now. Uttarpara is a big land bank with a lot of wealth attached to its re-development, read apartments and malls.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...h-erosion-bifr

HM has gone to the BIFR to prove that it's sick and to shut down, not to keep the Amby going on, and on, and on.

As much as I would like to see the icon motor on, like say a Mini or for that matter a Camaro, the parent company's slothfulness to succeed seems designed to hasten the legend's march into oblivion.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Cheers,

Jay
Quite progressive ideas, but beg to disagree with you.
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:34   #137
Senior - BHPian

The Amby is roomy and comfortable, but nothing else.
If we want to make it Indias Mini the only way to do so is design a completely new car which looks like an Amby.
I often feel that if the Amby had evolved the way other cars evolve with minor but functional changes every year it would have look somewhat like the first dzire.

How do we go about.
Use the platform of an already successful car with a comparatively upright seating. Two platforms that seem viable are Indigo/Indica and Dzire/Swift.
Both have used the Fiat engine so so continue with it. The Amby look alike front end should look the same, but the same chrome bumper should be absolutely flush with the body, no air gaps. Indicator cum parking light should also be sunken and fit flush on the front panel. The headlamp can continue but the rim around it should also be flush, ie Bullet enfield type.
Do away with the rain gutter, and beading for glass fittings. The Windshield as well as side windows should fit flush without the current protruding frame. Side windows can also be given some amount of curvature.
Follow that with sunken door handles, flush rear bumper, tail lamps and boot handle. Same size tail lamp assembly should have turn indicator, parking and brake light, and reverse on LH and rear fog on RH.

A CS as suggested by our other members will not do justice, but a Mini look alike hatch back should get it under 4 M length (but do we know weather the 4 M limit is continued by the next Govt) . A leaf from the Tatas book. A longer version XL can also be made.

Rahul
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:45   #138
Senior - BHPian

On the contary, I have different ideas. I'm waiting for the Multi-Jet version to come.

Then, easy! Make a 1954 Landmaster out of it! It'll be a marvel!

If the new Amby is good enough, it might actually substitute our Punto.

The main problem, in my opinion, lies with the marketing of HM. They can do better, and instead of making half-hearted attempts to revive the Ambassador, if they can actually engineer the MultiJet version properly, I'll promptly buy it!

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 22nd February 2014 at 14:46.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:23   #139
BHPian

Don't know how long this dream will continue but I have a feeling that one day we would wake up harshly.
Old 13th May 2014, 20:13   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

HM is again making news. The top brass have changed places and HM is again talking of restructuring its Uttarpara plant.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/h...shuffle-130064

In the recent years HM's roadmaps have gone nowhere. The fate of the present day efforts can only be a matter of debate as of now.
Old 24th May 2014, 20:12   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

The HM Uttarpara (W.B.) plant has been temporarily shut down w.e.f. today. Citing mounting losses, paucity of funds,growing indiscipline,low productivity as reasons the shut down has become effective from today, 24th May 2014.
The link :

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/h...hutdown-131159

Tata Motors has also felt the pinch due to the unrest at Uttarpara.

The link:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/busine...e1-216048.aspx

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th May 2014 at 20:16.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The HM Uttarpara (W.B.) plant has been temporarily shut down w.e.f. today. Citing mounting losses, paucity of funds,growing indiscipline,low productivity as reasons the shut down has become effective from today, 24th May 2014.
Sad news. All this due to the quixotic obsession and perhaps unfathomable laziness of HM to stick to an absurdly dated design, shoddy quality and abysmal management. Sure, the car might have had some sentimental value to a few but what good has it done? 2600 workers are now without jobs and the last automobile manufacturing unit in West Bengal downs it shutters. One has to wonder why the owners refused to tie up with any of the leading global majors which it could have done about 15 years back and would have been doing much more comfortably. Tying up with Mitsubishi has done little as Mitsubishi itself sells cars in pitiful numbers.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 08:35   #143

That's indeed a very sad news. If HM would have evolved with time then this situation would not have arisen. People moved to other brands as their cars were more appealing than HM's Ambassador.
Praveer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 20:50   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The silver lining:

WB government wants the plant to start operations :

WB Labour Minister Purnendu Bose said "From the government side we want the plant to start operations as early as possible."
The link:

http://www.ehitavada.com/site.home/p...-25/page_no/11
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 09:53   #145
BANNED

For God's sake Mamata really loves dinosaurs. Let it die in peace.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:49   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Ah! Well, lets talk about contrasting, shall we?

Yesterday, was a day of many contrasting things, but lets talk about the cars, shall we?

Well, I was dropped to the airport, in a brand new Ambassador. What a change it was, from our Linea, and Audi A4. As the engine revved, it felt really nice, to notice the revvs climb up, and the downshifts. All I could think, this motor is really torquey. Sure beats the MJD in our Linea hollow. It required quite a bit of revving though.

Ah! The quarter glasses! Really! Nostalgic memories were bought back, of our 1958 Fiat 1100 103D-Select. The Ambassador really bought back nostalgic memories. The feel, the character, something lacking in our other cars. This one had a Jalwa horn, that too. Purrfect!

But, just after the Amby, I sat the 2014 W222. Ah! Well, the modern day W111, my all time favorite car. This particular W222, is a very recent import, from Sindelfingen, Western Germany. I need not elaborate on the car, it was faultless, to say the least.

What the W222, really did was to bring me back to my senses.

What was the 2014 Amby after all? Utter nonsense. Exposed wires. Nuts not present here & there. Oversized gaskets here & there. Bubbles in the paint. (Yes!?), Corrosion. Wayward H/Ls. Loose ends. All this on a car, that was only delivered on the previous evening. Did I mention an oil leak?

"Billions of blue blistering barnacles", as Captain Archibald Haddock would say, in the Tintin comics.

Though, as someone whose family has gone through a record number of Ambies, Italian Fiats (Never the Premiers, thank you very much), Standards (Some flying 8's, and 2 10's, Never the Herald),

It is perhaps good enough that the production has been suspended. Wait for an year. Engineer the Ambassador properly. (I'm not even asking for a new car, note that)

If you can properly engineer an Amby CS, and integrate the Fiat 1.3 MultiJet, in a 75 HP tune, it shall suffice.

What if a body of car lovers came together, and helped redesign the Ambassador? THAT, is a viable option.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 26th May 2014 at 10:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed