Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 11:35   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I read somewhere that HM is planning to launch a new car in a new platform in December? any idea about the new car?
I think that's the HM-Mitsubishi Outlander they were pointing to. Also they came up with a minor facelift of Cedia. But can't say if they are working on a new platform!
Old 30th November 2008, 12:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Forget the looks, bumpers, styling etc.
not so sure about it. Amby looks have a legacy - and i am fairly certain that its not a legacy most customers in India would not like to be associated with.

They can provide a thousand lame excuses for running an age old design and engineering but in the end its just excuses. And speaking about nostalgia - we would like to speak about it - but save a select few - nobody want to put money down on Nostalgia.

just my 2¢. I agree to disagree on this
Old 30th November 2008, 15:04   #18
BHPian

I have been driving an Avigo Petrol, and after having completed 4000 km's on the same, I can tell you this, it's not very expensive to maintain and nothing actually goes wrong with it, it's quite reliable actually, the power is quite good, and it can sure overtake a couple of morden jap cars. I havn't driven any disel amby's though so really can't comment, but they would be more economical for sure. Lately I have been noticing more new disel amby's on the road, and seems like people are realising a VFM factor in the same.
Old 30th November 2008, 15:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
sorry but i dont know wether the latest amby has engine coolant in it s radiator and wether it has an alternator to charge the battery . Then it can be a super hit !!

Kolkutta yet has a huge share of it yet !! It does nt carry enough snob value for mumbai and delhi . ( NO OFFENSE TO ANY BODY PLEASE )
Please take care to write the name of a city properly. I see this repeatedly that Kolkata is misspelled and see no reason for it. Being aware is a virtue. Either write Calcutta or Kolkata any other variations being offending, even if unintentional.

Coming to the tpic here, having a coolant in the radiator is no big deal. Its a different matter that Amby's have it, likewise for the alternator. Its not a recent development either.

For your information, Premier Padmini's phased out in 1999 had both of these "features" even years before that, so did the Ambassador.

What works for the Ambassador is easy repairability and availability of spares which would offset any reliability setback that the car might have if at all any. Driving dynamics and highspeed stability not being its strong point, which I guess, is better than its rivals as seen in these pages, that are seen mostly toppled or bashed up or having taken some lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I have been driving an Avigo Petrol, and after having completed 4000 km's on the same, I can tell you this, it's not very expensive to maintain and nothing actually goes wrong with it, it's quite reliable actually, the power is quite good, and it can sure overtake a couple of morden jap cars. I havn't driven any disel amby's though so really can't comment, but they would be more economical for sure. Lately I have been noticing more new disel amby's on the road, and seems like people are realising a VFM factor in the same.
Yup agree with you. Although, I am not a big Amby fan, as our family never bought one. But I hear the phrase too often these days amongst family circles "Apna Ambassador hi achcha tha". Those are not commercial owners, but people who have owned cars for generations. One important context of that discussion was spare part prices of modern cars past the warranty period being over and ofcourse the increase in fender-bender experience on our roads that has congested leaps and bounds in the last few years. The general perception is that, a little hit here, a little hit there, nothing happens to an Amby, whereas a little "touch" on the modern padestrian friendly cars makes a hole in the pocket.

When those holes are being made, the frustration does not really console one with crash safety ratings that has been received by some of the modern cars at some other countries.

Last edited by 1100D : 30th November 2008 at 15:15.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2008, 12:20   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its sad, but at the same time sarcastic why Ambassasdor has not opted for any radical design change.
It is this old design that contributes to the cars USP. Except for a fab backseat, the Amby has nothing going for it in the current market scenario. The Amby is terribly over-priced too. I say, axe the car (alongwith the old Lancer), HM, and move on.
Old 1st December 2008, 13:48   #21
BHPian

I'm still dreaming of an amby with heart and technology coming from its partner, mitsubishi... 3 lt V6, fully independent suspension, limited slip differential and all the modern goodies... I was wondering ...has anyone modified amby into a power house apart from DC Designs....
Old 1st December 2008, 14:13   #22
BHPian

What an ambassador lacks is fit and finish . And the new amby lacks the strength once it was famous for. It is because of the use of tin to lighten the body. Revival will be difficult for ambassador , but it will live in our memories forever.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpursuit View Post
I'm still dreaming of an amby with heart and technology coming from its partner, mitsubishi... 3 lt V6, fully independent suspension, limited slip differential and all the modern goodies... I was wondering ...has anyone modified amby into a power house apart from DC Designs....
DC design Ambierod was inpiring. Especially those very modern seats which save space and provide low back support.

Yes got to accept that Amby is way behind in technology. Those things you pointed out are very essential.

Amby's suspension upgrade would be a costly one. If we use the cheap individual Mcpherson strut with torsion bar, the car will lose its comfy ride quality on rugged roads. Amby suspension(leaf spring) is similar to what we see in trucks like Ashok leyland, matador vans etc. The leaf spring suspension is very old but is still good for 4 wheel drives, and off-roading. For the smooth city roads(not the Indian city roads), all cars need excellent handling and maneuverability at high speeds. Amby will perform really poor in these conditions.

Limited slip differential is a must else Amby will not drift at high speed turns and will topple.

Amby is the best car for villages and places where there is no roads. These are places from where most of our Indian politicians come from. Now, anyone could guess why politicians own so many Amby's.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:37   #24
BHPian

something like the evolution of mini cooper should be done to amby.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Search through the forum, you'll find a red drag-spec Amby fitted with a 3.0L straight six engine and pimped with visual embellishments and a thumping in-car entertainment system.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You can dream and HM can day dream! But there is an image what the Amby cannot overcome – and for what it is today it is overpriced. So what HM should do is to reduce costs, so that bring down the Amby in 3-3.5L range instead of adding goodies (& price)
Old 1st December 2008, 22:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
You can dream and HM can day dream! But there is an image what the Amby cannot overcome – and for what it is today it is overpriced. So what HM should do is to reduce costs, so that bring down the Amby in 3-3.5L range instead of adding goodies (& price)
dude, I think you get amby for less than 4 lakhs. Some basic variant cost very less
Old 5th January 2009, 12:18   #28
BHPian

HM should keep the current amby and work on a contemporary body style, may be as a different version.
Old 5th January 2009, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Amby is a great car to drive on indian roads with pot holes. You just dont feel them.
Old 6th January 2009, 00:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

I pray for the day this eyesore breathes it's last and is given a decent burial, eulogies included.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks