Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 12:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Hindustan Ambassador revival

Take one look at Hindustan Motors and you'll be sure HM is going nowhere. Easily the most dysfunctional site ever.
Also, did you know they market something knows as the 'winner' ? I had no idea. I've never seen or heard about this 'truck' before.

Edit: Opens a little better on IE but still very very boring.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 8th May 2011 at 12:55.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:56   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Some news about the Ambassador for Amby lovers- Penguin India has chosen the Amby as its mascot to celebrate its 25th year in India. The car, specially painted in the Penguin scheme of colours is scheduled to travel to many cities in India to commemorate the occasion.
The link and picture here:
http://www.carwale.com/news/8673-pen...ts-mascot.html
Hindustan Ambassador revival-8673_l.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th February 2012 at 20:58.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:25   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Was browsing through this nearly two year old news item in The Economic Times about reviving the Ambassador.
Guess the things are not going as planned for HM and the monthly sales are down to 200 units only (June 2012). But its is only this car that is selling the best from among the line-up in the HM- Mitsubishi stable.

The link:

Can new Ambassador pull HM out of quicksand? - Economic Times

I also found an interesting news item about the bullet proof Ambassadors. The Ordinance Factory, Medak, A.P. (this was a constituency represented by Mrs Indira Gandhi in the early 1980's) produces mine and bullet proof vehicles that includes Ambassadors, Maruti Gypsys,Tata Safaris and Tata 407's.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-bulletproof-ambyofmedak.jpg

(source msn. news)

Ordnance Factory celebrates 25th anniversary; to enhance ICVs production

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th July 2012 at 20:36.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:03   #64
BHPian

And this came in new. At least the MD says he is AWARE of the situation. Right.
Sales of the HM Ambassador fall; BS4 engine on the way

A car that came in first on the big scene and still got great potential being dumped to horrible depths. sad.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:51   #65
BHPian

A very interesting discussion on Ambassador and its imminent death. I am saddened at the state of HM motors and what they have done to the Amby.

My driving classes started with a Mark 2 Amby and i pretty much drove it for about 7 years before my dad decided to invest in a premier padmini. Some of the design aspects of the Amby seems to be missing in the new age vehicles. I still miss the single bench in the front thanks to a column shift. Actually, I do miss the column shift. It was quite a bit of fun. The other thing i miss is the steering horn circle. The Mark 2 had a nice metal circle in the inner part of the steering which served as the horn. This was probably the best horn position. Irrespective of wherever your hand was your thumb was always resting on the horn.

I guess i can go on about the vehicle. But anyways, here is a thought. Can some of you help me in a Amby project. I am not much of a mechanical engineer or an automotive person. Can some of us get together and get an Amby, preferably the Mark 2 and then do a restoration/modification job on it right from the engine unit to interiors while retaining the exterior with more chrome

Let me know guys
Cheers
subra
Old 27th August 2012, 18:29   #66
BHPian

Just visited the HM site and came across a shocker.

HM Veer - A Pickup truck based on the Ambassador.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-veer.jpg

PDF URL below

HM Veer-Leaflet.pdf

I really want to the folk in HM who thought over this so called Innovation. Why is GM hell bent on ruining the legacy of once splendid vehicle?

Last edited by shantanumishra : 27th August 2012 at 18:30.
Old 27th August 2012, 18:56   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Just visited the HM site and came across a shocker.

HM Veer - A Pickup truck based on the Ambassador.

Attachment 976298

PDF URL below

Attachment 976297

I really want to the folk in HM who thought over this so called Innovation. Why is GM hell bent on ruining the legacy of once splendid vehicle?
The one on the left looks like the result of a torrid and passionate love affair between the original Amby and the Tata Ace .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 27th August 2012 at 19:02.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 20:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Just visited the HM site and came across a shocker...
Well, am surprised you are seeing it only now. It's been an year since launch, haven't seen one on the road,that's another thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
The one on the left looks like the result of a torrid and passionate love affair between the original Amby and the Tata Ace .
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 20:45   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Some news about the Ambassador for Amby lovers- Penguin India has chosen the Amby as its mascot to celebrate its 25th year in India. The car, specially painted in the Penguin scheme of colours is scheduled to travel to many cities in India to commemorate the occasion.
The link and picture here:
Penguin India has chosen Ambassador as its mascot - CarWale News
Attachment 884716
Which other car can match the Indian ethos and depict India like nothing else?

Hindustan Ambassador revival-amby-germanambassador.jpg

German Ambassador Matussek with the specially painted Ambassador car for the Year of Germany in India, along with its designer Jyotika Seghal, Cornelia Pieper and Heiko Sievers.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-graffitiamby.jpg

Another picture of the car for Year of the Germany in India!

(source German Embassy in India website)

A You Tube video dedicated to the Ambassador with some quite apt comments!

Two comments on You Tube:

"the car with a character... whatever may come whatever may go amby is always amby... hats off to the king of indian roads."

"Its a shame how Hindustan motors had to shut down. I blame the Indian Government for that. In Germany govt and the police uses German cars, In USA the govt and Police uses American cars like ford and GMC but then we have India where greedy ministers uses our tax money to buy BMW's and Mercedes. Its a shame that the govt failed to support India's FIRST car manufacturer. A big part of Indian history."

(note from me: HM has not yet shut down or stopped production of the Ambassador but the writing is clear on the wall. With 200 cars sold a month, can the company sustain ?)

Some ownership reviews of the Ambassador:

Ambassador Reviews | CarDekho.com

It is felt that the government should step in a bail out HM from the financial whirlpool in which it has landed.
Most Americans are so proud of GM, Ford and Chrysler. America's health and well-being depends on the health of the Big Three.
The US government in 2009, bailed out GM and Chrysler, or else these entities would have perished after declaring bankruptcy. Now both are doing extremely well. Chrysler has even preponed repayment of the bailout packages.
HM needs funds to invest in R&D and upgrade the Ambassador to meet the present day needs. The Ambassador is now out totally of sync with the present times, that deters buyers from its showrooms.
Our National Car needs a fresh lease of life and only a government bail-out can help.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th August 2012 at 20:47.
Old 27th August 2012, 20:59   #70
BHPian

^^ Big difference between big three and HM is innovation. I maybe wrong here but , HM apart from Ambassador and Contessa has not put up a single product of its own . It got a lease of life with Mitsubishi but that they could not hold on to. If govt wouldn't have been there whatever sale of HM would have dwindled out.
Old 27th August 2012, 22:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hahahahahaha.... sorry!!! How can you compare GM and HM? Only thing common between these two is Motors. And why is Ambassador being called our National Car for god's sake? Do we wish to be still called a Nation with animals on the road and snake charmers? Lets be honest. As of even 20 years back the Ambassador was not roadworthy in any developed country. Hindustan Motors in its heyday too never bothered to innovate or modernize.

I am not questioning any of our member's sentiments on the car, neither is my intention to hurt anybody, but please lets be realistic on this forum and not paint nostalgic tales of some supreme achievements by Hindustan Motors.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 15:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

The One Car COMPANY could not reinvent itself.

HM had ties-up with foreign car makers but did not make any effort to introduce contemporary, capable models.

I read somewhere HM makes engines, gearboxes for quite a few models of other companies and they might have thought this route is a good bet and a lot safer than risking a launch of all new model.

I had an Amby for eleven years. Let us face it, its days were over a couple of decades ago.

Last edited by simplyself : 31st August 2012 at 15:51.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:31   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

HM Ready To Rollout BS4 Diesel Ambassador.

Quote:
The HM Ambassador featuring BS4 compliant diesel engine is likely to rollout from June this year and the company expects to sell 5000-5500 units in 2013-14. Apart from the BS4 diesel engine introduction, Hindustan Motors will also come up with a sub 4-metre Ambassador early next year. It will be priced aggressively over the full length Ambassador, enjoying lower excise duties. Hindustan Motors is expecting a bright future with these two introductions lined up.

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 10:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Instead of dolling up the old lady and shortening its hemline (that's sub 4m), HM should try to bring in something new.

Actually the Trekker platform can give birth to a good product. The Trekker however aesthetically challenged it may be , was pioneering in many ways as it had brought the concept of a low cost, bare basics, no-nonsense MUV for affordable rural transportation. That was then.

Cueing forward: Why not take the Trekker platform (which is a shade over 4metre), chop off the excess length, style a snazzy upper body,(that is a new "top-hat"), plug in the ISUZU diesel engine with a bigger turbo for more power and you can have a serious sub 4m SUV competitor from HM. And that too on an existing platform which will keep costs low.
If Ford can palm off the 2003 Fiesta to us as a "new" Figo, Ssangyong can do the same with the Rexton (1st gen Merc M-Class), according to media reports the upcoming Datsun will also be based on a two generation old nissan micra; well then, HM can also jolly well do the same!

Who knows, they may even hit the jackpot!!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 00:04   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Instead of dolling up the old lady and shortening its hemline (that's sub 4m), HM should try to bring in something new.

Actually the Trekker platform can give birth to a good product. The Trekker however aesthetically challenged it may be , was pioneering in many ways as it had brought the concept of a low cost, bare basics, no-nonsense MUV for affordable rural transportation. That was then.

Cueing forward: Why not take the Trekker platform (which is a shade over 4metre), chop off the excess length, style a snazzy upper body,(that is a new "top-hat"), plug in the ISUZU diesel engine with a bigger turbo for more power and you can have a serious sub 4m SUV competitor from HM. And that too on an existing platform which will keep costs low.
If Ford can palm off the 2003 Fiesta to us as a "new" Figo, Ssangyong can do the same with the Rexton (1st gen Merc M-Class), according to media reports the upcoming Datsun will also be based on a two generation old nissan micra; well then, HM can also jolly well do the same!

Who knows, they may even hit the jackpot!!
As many know, the Trekker is actually HM's version of the Mini Moke.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-196720austin20mini20moke20002.jpg
Hindustan Ambassador revival-hindustantrekker1.jpg

It was somewhat successful as a people carrier. I think HM has completely ruined it now, by horribly restyling it and they've also named it something else.

What they should do it bring out a retro version, with a roll cage and removable doors (to meet the new norms), the Isuzu 2L diesel and GB, and it would make a fine RV, if configured and positioned right. Imagine a Trekker with reinforced frame/suspension, 2L turbodiesel, fat tyres on alloys and lots of retro bling!

Hindustan Ambassador revival-minipminimoke09.jpg

If they want to survive and make their mark, they can still function as a small custom car firm, focusing on quality and building small number of vehicles to customers' exacting standards and requirements. Remember the old Ambys you used to see in the late 90's, with Gypsy wheels, fat tyres, rich custom interiors (Koyas Seats!!!) and Matador diesel engines? Something like that is what I have in mind. Oh, and give the customer an option for either the standard Amby exterior, or a Classic version with Landmaster front and rear!

But I've got a feeling none of that is going to happen, since HM doesn't seem to do anything like R&D, or market study nowadays. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to know that they don't even have or know of the internet.

Last edited by vivekgk : 17th March 2013 at 00:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks