Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:33   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I don't understand how people here are still giving global gyan of recession. Like I've said before, please factor Diwali!
Even WITH DIWALI, October 2008 sales tanked 7% compared to the NON-DIWALI October 2007. Now, if we are to factor in a "Dhanteras swing" of 20% (your number), without Diwali, October 2008 should have witnessed a 27% crash. Pretty much in line with the number of this thread title, wot?

Motorcycle sales - a favorite Diwali purchase - tanked 18% in the Diwali month of October 2008. And yes, Luxury cars tanked 31% in the same time too...Diwali notwithstanding.

Would you also attribute the major loss leaders - M800 -60% and Logan -80% - to Diwali too? Remember that Diwali purchases are a matter of timing....where a potential customer will adjust the timing of his purchase / delivery. No one buys a car just because of diwali. They time their purchase around Diwali, a purchase that would have taken place anyways. The problem with the current situation is lack of customers altogether. Not Diwali timing.

Yup, we do need to wake up and smell the roses in here.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:00   #17
BHPian

^^Brilliantly said GTO, u saved me a long type, thanks :-)
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Interestingly, the sedans SX4 and Dzire witnessed a rise in sales by a huge margin! Now what is the exact trend here? Looks like they actually did not suffer any drop overall and in fact had a 10% + growth in sales.

One reason could be that the Dzire was not launched at that time and some of the swift buyers would wanted to go for the Dzire sedan instead of a hatch with some little extra amount. That is the reason swift's sales were down even though there is a demand.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:01   #19
BHPian

When will the anti discount (car dealer) cartel break in Mumbai ?

Cheers
M M
Old 2nd December 2008, 17:30   #20
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
Maruti should start offering the cars which are spacious, as always there is a constraint in terms of rare leg room.
I guess you meant rear leg room On second thoughts, I think even rare is the right word, leg room is indeed rare at the back seats!
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I don't understand how people here are still giving global gyan of recession. Like I've said before, please factor Diwali!

DIWALI was 9th November 2007, and 28th October 2008. Kindly take out the diwali factor and you will see a much lesser drop.

Can someone please wake up and smell the roses in here?? Or atleast adjust seasonally before such grand pronouncements are made? I mean some basic math before ten lines of Gyan? and like I said, last ten days of Nov 08 versus Nov 07 - that will show up the true picture - guys here have database access no?
If that is the reason, then this October sales should be much higher than the last October. I dont have the data, request somebody post the figures Oct - 07 Vs Oct - 08.
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:59   #22
BHPian

Nano, Any one can hazard a guess...?

If we conclude that the most price sensitive segment will get affected the most by the slow down, then what will happen to Nano?

For sure, it will sell in large numbers. How large will be large? Will it meet Tata Motor's expectation.

Roses come with thorns. And this one has it even in its petals
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

As far as the Nano is concered this downturn will play into Tata's hands.
The present temporary production plans will in no way fulfill the demand for the Nano and they risk losing customers due to delivery delays.

If the demand is reduced, Tata can shorten the delivery periods. Once their dedicated facility in Gujarat comes up and running, hopefully the market would have recovered.

I also believe like the Ace, Nano will play an important role in reversing Tata's falling sales numbers, although the low price and margins of the car will not help its financial turnover.
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:26   #24
BHPian

A-star is a true winner, definitly Suzuki is going to storm the scene when the over all market condition improves.
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
A-star is a true winner, definitly Suzuki is going to storm the scene when the over all market condition improves.
In which sense / area A star is a winner?
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yes,

that's indeed the case. Indeed, dhanteras adjusted sales have tanked 20% yoy (Oct-Nov) for Maruti - but I was never arguing against the economy, just that it wasn't AS stark - Nov fall has been 16.5% versus the 27.4% in this thread. Totalling up full seasonality, the numbers would be even less stark.

Can provide the numbers if anyone wants.

And please, there were enough motherhood statements in the thread before I challenged the assumptions and not even a mention of seasonality - yup people need to smell the roses before motherhoods like:
Quote:
I guess its high time Maruti improves the production times and churns out more cars, for there is never a dearth in demand. The recession and all do play its part, but I guess somewhere, Maruti is losing the plot.
Quote:
Maruti should start offering the cars which are spacious, as always there is a constraint in terms of rare leg room.
- the compact (spacious) segment fell 3% inspite of Diwali.

And yes, some more accurate numbers - there's enough statistics and english floating around - the last thing expected would be Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, no?
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Honda actually gained some market due to city launch, they have sold 43xx units of city :o ..... just saw it in todays newspaper
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
In which sense / area A star is a winner?
Pricing is aggressive, styling is fresh. And couple with that the fact that its got the Maruthi reliability. This car is directly pitched against the Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks