Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Maruti reports 27% dip in November sales

LINK

Quote:
Country's biggest car maker Maruti Suzuki India on Monday reported 27.4 per cent decline in car sales during November at 47,103 units compared to 64,885 units in the same month last year.
Total vehicle sales during the month were down by 24.4 per cent at 52,711 units against 69,699 units in the same month last year, the company said in a statement.
Sales of compact cars, comprising Alto, Zen Estilo, Wagon R, Swift and A-Star, were down by 26.6 per cent at 34,976 units compared to 47,641 units in November last year, the company said.
Combined sales of sedans SX4 and Dzire during the month, however, grew by 40.3 per cent at 5,975 units compared to 4,260 units last year, it added.
Domestic sales were down by 26.9 per cent at 47,704 units compared to 65,216 units in the corresponding month last year. Exports during the month grew by 11.7 per cent at 5,007 units from 4,483 units last year.
So even the big Daddy is shrinking. Recession is full and final here?

Is there a place where one can see sales data for all manufacturers in one place?

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st December 2008 at 12:59. Reason: Font tags
Old 1st December 2008, 13:27   #2
BHPian

^^Sorry about the mix up. I don't recollect me using any fonts/ colors etc. Must have been in the quoted text, which I just copied-pasted from Website without thinking that it must have carried its formatting with it !!
Old 1st December 2008, 14:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

And MSIL stock has tumbled 7% today. I guess its high time Maruti improves the production times and churns out more cars, for there is never a dearth in demand. The recession and all do play its part, but I guess somewhere, Maruti is losing the plot.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:27   #4
BHPian

It is high time Maruti should re work on the models it has, as other than Swift diesel, and Dzire diesel, no other car is in demand.

Maruti should start offering the cars which are spacious, as always there is a constraint in terms of rare leg room.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

yaar, too much conspiracy theory here. Not just the economy - its the fact that Diwali was end Oct - so ALL purchases got preponed. consider last ten day of nov 08 vs nov 07 - that may not be AS stark.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:50   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy Cow, a near 30% fall for the GIANT of our industry has got to be a first. Sign of the times? Yup, fewer & fewer customers walking into showrooms. With the way that the economy is, everyone is holding onto their cars or delaying that down payment. Loan disbursal has gotten tighter too. The 800 - being in the most price sensitive segment - crashed like 60% last month.

Equally in a dilemma are those new cars lined up for launch : The A-Star, Honda City, Fiat Linea etc. couldn't have had any worse timing.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

How has the response to the A-Star been? I dont think it will help get in any volumes.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Equally in a dilemma are those new cars lined up for launch : The A-Star, Honda City, Fiat Linea etc. couldn't have had any worse timing.
These launches don't help the existing cars either. I mean, when existing cars are fighting to keep up the volumes, the new cars eat more into the market share. With the markets in red, nobody wants to spend money now.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How has the response to the A-Star been? I dont think it will help get in any volumes.

Its definitely not going to win any beauty contests for sure. The i10 has it beat on all aesthetic fronts including interiors.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! The recession surely has started biting everyone big time. 27% drop is huge by any standards mann! Thats more than 1/4th of the stock lying in the yards and showrooms. At this rate even Maruti may be forced to declare a couple of days of shutdown at its plants (manufacturing the A and B segment cars).

Interestingly, the sedans SX4 and Dzire witnessed a rise in sales by a huge margin! Now what is the exact trend here? Looks like they actually did not suffer any drop overall and in fact had a 10% + growth in sales.

Is it that many entry level car buyers decided to switch over to the next higher level? Sounds too good to be true, particularly in the current times. A more plausible explanantion could be that the recession is affecting the buyers of the A and B segment cars more than those who buy Sedans.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

The gaint has began to show the signs of downturn. But even now, the automakers are not reducing the cost of their vehicles. Though the prices of steel, plastic and rubber parts have come down.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand how people here are still giving global gyan of recession. Like I've said before, please factor Diwali!

DIWALI was 9th November 2007, and 28th October 2008. Kindly take out the diwali factor and you will see a much lesser drop.

Can someone please wake up and smell the roses in here?? Or atleast adjust seasonally before such grand pronouncements are made? I mean some basic math before ten lines of Gyan? and like I said, last ten days of Nov 08 versus Nov 07 - that will show up the true picture - guys here have database access no?
Old 1st December 2008, 21:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar, too much conspiracy theory here. Not just the economy - its the fact that Diwali was end Oct - so ALL purchases got preponed. consider last ten day of nov 08 vs nov 07 - that may not be AS stark.
I go with you. Spot On.
Last year Diwali was in November and this year, it was in October. That should be the reason for such a VAST difference. Though there is a slowdown, 27% is mainly due to Diwali last year and this year. We can assume a 5% reductions attributable to recession and rest on Diwali.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here's a preliminary number: Dhanteras was like 15000 vehicles (against the usual 3500 say)- the indian industry sells some 1-1.1 lakh vehicles per month. So swing Dhanteras ONLY from one month to another - that's a net swing of 11500X2 = 23000 ~20% right there. Factor in other Diwali dates and I think we have a more rational explanation.

Yes, the recession has impacted, but nowhere as much as people have waxed eloquent.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me or anyone else also feels that Maruti should focus more attention towards selling of existing hatches(2 many of them already) than just launch new ones and that too almost in same segment (like Splash is lined up next after A-Star).
Consider this - Maruti 800, Alto,Wagon R,Estilo,A-Star,Swift and now Splash! They should rather move their eyes on the ANHC and Linea segment and further on SUV segment to give more variety than just fight for the hatch segment all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks