Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 15:32   #1
BANNED

Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009

Note from Mod: This thread has been closed. Ritz discussions may continue on the Ritz Test-Drive thread located at this link.

Suzuki Splash is renamed as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in India. It may be launched by early 2009, with a new 1.2L 4-cylinder petrol engine and the famous 1.3L DDIS engine, in the price range 4.5 - 5.5 lakhs.

The reason for the name change is that the name 'Splash' is already reserved by some other manufacturer.

By the way, one question - is it good for Maruti to use a different name in India, when Suzuki is using the name 'Splash' for that car all over the world? Won't it affect the brand image of that car in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009-005.jpg  

Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009-019.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2009 at 15:51.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:48   #2
BHPian

Looks like it. MarutiSuzukiRitz.com has been registered by maruti.

Will this exist alongside wagon-r ?
Old 1st December 2008, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Now this looks like a genuine i10 competitor. However Maruti has to be careful! because me thinks with its engine options and price it just might eat into Swift!

Elito
Old 1st December 2008, 15:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Should have been named as the Ritz Arch-back.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Now this looks like a genuine i10 competitor. However Maruti has to be careful! because me thinks with its engine options and price it just might eat into Swift!

Elito
Being more spacious and practical than Swift, i guess Maruti wants it to be i20 competitor as well.

Yes it will eat into Swift. Just like A-Star will eat WagonR, WagonR eats Estilo, Alto eats M800, and so on.
As long as a Maruti sells, they(MSIL) are happy.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:56   #6
BHPian

The back looks rather fussy, I think.
And btw, isn't Ritz a trademark name of a hotel chain?

Last edited by MalluDude : 1st December 2008 at 15:58.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well i dont think it would affect the brand image . Santro is sold in some markets as Atos. But i dont like the name Ritz. Its got too much zzzzz in it.

@Elito- The rear is more spacious than the Swift. I think young people would still prefer the Swift , Middle aged group would prefer the Ritz for the rear space. Would like to know if Ritz has better boot space than the Swift after seeing its shape.

I think Wagon R would continue for time being. Maruti is just increasing its range but i dont think they are bothering much if their products are competing with each other. They gotta be careful since Dzire has eaten SX4 sales. They better not try to spoil Swift sales!!!
Old 1st December 2008, 16:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking car. The name doesnt matter much. The engine options look impressive too!

All chances for this car to eat into Swift sales if it comes with the DDiS!
Old 1st December 2008, 16:09   #9
BHPian

Earlier Maruti 1000/Esteem in India was known as Suzuki Swift in other markets.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:21   #10
BHPian

Nice Looking Car

Rear is something very different from the regular cars, was thinking of having one, any exact dates for the launch ?? the DDis, if priced right then it would sell like hot cakes. But for Maruti needs to take care for the insane waiting period for Swift & DZiRE DDis.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:40   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
The back looks rather fussy, I think.
And btw, isn't Ritz a trademark name of a hotel chain?
Yes, it's a Swiss hotel chain. The word 'Ritz' means 'Elegance'.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 1st December 2008 at 16:41.
Old 1st December 2008, 17:39   #12
BANNED

Rear looks a bit Santro'ish. Hope it is a genuine WagonR replacement, and not yet another product in their line up.

PS:- M1000, Baleno, and the best selling old-type Zen. What else has Maruti discontinued after beign introduced into India?
Old 1st December 2008, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Yes, ACI has also reported about the Splash being renamed Ritz in India. I don't think the name would make any difference. Not many people in India knew about the international existence of SX4 hatch/Swift when they were launched in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Being more spacious and practical than Swift, i guess Maruti wants it to be i20 competitor as well.
It's probably more spacious than Swift, but the reviews don't suggest it can compare with the likes of Jazz, etc.

BTW I wonder why Suzuki is being so stingy on the boot space in their hatches? The A-star has a puny boot. I read the Splash boot space is only 178L as compared to i20 which has a boot close to 300L and the new Jazz whose boot is approx. 400L (who needs a sedan if I can get so much space in a hatchback!).
Old 1st December 2008, 18:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it good for Maruti to use a different name in India, when Suzuki is using the name 'Splash' for that car all over the world? Won't it affect the brand image of that car in India?
Well this not new various generations of Suzuki Alto were sold as M800, Zen & the Alto. even the latest A-star will be sold as Alto outside India.

Quote:
Rear looks a bit Santro'ish.
Yes & is kinda ugly.
Quote:
PS:- M1000, Baleno, and the best selling old-type Zen. What else has Maruti discontinued after beign introduced into India?
Well Esteem, & also Alto VXi if at all it can be called a separate modl.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The reason for the name change is that the name 'Splash' is already reserved by some other manufacturer.
Name used by another manufacturer? Suzuki is the other manufacturer. And, the name Splash wont spoil the brand image, because Swift is one such original car which shares absolutely the same spec as the Suzuki Swift. I believe that is the big reason for its success.

I believe the Ritz(not splash) will have several features different from the original Splash. Do not wanna comment anything more than that.

This is how MNC companies work in India. For example Fiat India just shares the name Fiat, but really its just an indian company which buys and sells goods in india or provides outsourcing. It will have a separate managing director, and the original Fiat is no way responsible for any of the misfortunes or profits made by Fiat India. But, Fiat international will be prompt to collect its money in case of patent/design copies. Also, if Fiat International makes a salary hike to all its employees, it wont reflect in Fiat India, not even in the Management level.
And, Fiat Palio stile is not same as the original Fiat Palio. Its a customized car done by the Indian company.

This is my thought, and feel free to dispute and comment on it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed