Team-BHP - Will Tata take over bits of Rover ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Will Tata take over bits of Rover ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4995-will-tata-take-over-bits-rover.html)

Have been following the collapse of Rover - my guess is that, at the right price, Tata might pick up the Powertrain (Rovers engine plant) + Rover 45
replacement plans (let the chinese keep the old designs)

Move powertain to India, use rover r&d team to develop engine and finish r45 prototype. Retain them for euro inputs. Launch r45 in india as a tata and let it be assembled in birmingham as a Rover probably as a niche vehicle. City Rover replaced by new model on similar lines. Tata is also setting up a plant in south Africa and looking at emerging markets.

Then you get the volumes + reasonable costs -

Tata his gaining experience like this from taking over with Daewoo trucks which is not doing too badly.

wotsay ?

Interesting.

Rover has been like the ugly puppy that nobody wanted. Bought and sold by BMW, then went who knows where and is now bust. Their model range is well past their prime and a major overhaul was too large an expense for their parent company apparently. The Rover image is really lousy as well, putting rest to any plans of a takeover and revival.

However, while the powertrains may be a bit old in tooth for the Western markets, they could be the stepping stone Tata needs to make a serious foray into the petrol engine market in India, Africa and other emerging markets. Once Tata have the building blocks in place, the hardest part is over. If they can get hold of this for cheap, they could very well go for it.

Makes sense IMO, but then again, what do I know about running a business.

Makes perfect sense - they could use the technology and designs for the new 45, since the rest of Rover doesnt make economic sense to invest in.

Once you strip the name, the rest of it should come pretty cheap too. I'm sure Mr. Tata has something up his sleeve, since he had shown interest in Rover earlier. Ditto with Daewoo - he showed interest in Daewoo's Indian plant but ended up making the smarter deal buy picking up the Commercial Vehicle unit.

We also do not know what else is 'hidden' in the Rover entity - some of the older British brands may well be part of the deal, which could probably be picked up at a lower cost for a renewed foray into the Euro zone. Remember the Austins, the Morrises, the MGs (was that sold to BMW?), to mention a few...

This would be a perfect opportunity for the Tatas to pick up the bits they want.

If i am right,
The 45 is the corolla sized sedan right.
I dont think anyone will pay a premium for it unless Tatas pricing is spot on like.
I like the looks of the 75 though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini
If i am right,
The 45 is the corolla sized sedan right.
I dont think anyone will pay a premium for it unless Tatas pricing is spot on like.
I like the looks of the 75 though.

Tata needs a Corolla-sized entry, unless they decide to revive the Magna project. Makes more sense to pick up the 45 and badge it as the Magna for the Indian market.

The 75 is nice, but with those specifications its going to be over the roof as far as pricing is concerned. It costs you at least 50%-plus over the Camry around here, with its V6 engine, Tiptronic transmission, SatNav and all other gizmos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid

Once you strip the name, the rest of it should come pretty cheap too. I'm sure Mr. Tata has something up his sleeve, since he had shown interest in Rover earlier. .

BMW have kept the rights to the names. They leased it to Rover and Ford (Land Rover) for free as part of the deal/ goodwill. Knowing them, they'll do the same for any rescuer to enhance the goodwill of the brand

IMHO that tata's take over the Rovers and make some cool off-roaders for indian conditions. Of-course they can leverage the Rovers' Badge and sell Sumos in Europe, Africa and central Asia too..

But the bottom line is that this is an opportunity waiting to be grabbed..

But guys,
How many of the general public would pay 8 - 10 L for a TATA SEDAN?
I think TATA should also sell the Safari under the Rover name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini
But guys,
How many of the general public would pay 8 - 10 L for a TATA SEDAN?
I think TATA should also sell the Safari under the Rover name.

I dont think it depends on the badge. I would buy one, if the product is right. I'm quite comfortable with the Tata badge.

Maybe I'm overly patriotic, but thats the way it is. I have tremendous respect for the way the Tatas do business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
I have tremendous respect for the way the Tatas do business.

We all do but the brits think pretty low about the Indica / CityRover. Maybe Tata can do some good brand revamping as a "saviour" playing fair. Rover will not be used for Tata SUV otherwise Land Rover/ Ford will go bananas

Guys,
i am not talking bout us enthusiasts only but the general buyers who know zilch bout cars.
Look at Fiat products, ruined because of the name.
Even better eg is the Vitara, Elantra, mondeo.

Guys,

Aren't we all being a little too hasty. Let's not jump the gun. This is election year in the UK. Govt comes with rescue package. Check out the link below:-

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1074951.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover
Guys,

Aren't we all being a little too hasty. Let's not jump the gun. This is election year in the UK. [/url]

I don't think the government will votes if they are seen sinking good money after bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
I don't think the government will will votes if they are seen sinking good money after bad.

The Brits are very sentimental and think they're the best at everything, so the Government bailing out Rover might actually win votes.

Come to think of it, there are very few 'British' entities that are big in any field. Except for the likes of Vodafone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
Rover will not be used for Tata SUV otherwise Land Rover/ Ford will go bananas

The current Rover company does not have rights to the names of Landrover, Rangerover, Discovery, etc.. These were sold a long time ago.. also, the contracts that go with such deals will make sure that teh buyer of Rover cannot use that brand for off-roaders..