Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2005, 12:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Why didn't u go for Viva CRDi ?? was it not there that time ??

Also i think ABS was present in petrol versions.

Again i am not blaming you & this is not personal.

Its just that come what may, safety is the last criteria while selecting a vehicle in India, its always about FE, Space provided & may be power but never Safety offered by the car. Those rare few who really care go for the limited cars which have the Safety features like ABS, Air Bags etc.

So till then cars like Omni will keep selling.
Old 14th April 2005, 12:37   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I read somewhere in some issue of OD that indians do not loose as many lives in road accidents as other countries so i guess they were wrong.

I say the accent is not safe because when i was playing cricket, the Rubber Ball hit an accent and it got dented, it has got 1.5 stars in the NCAP ratings.
Apart from these reasons, we did not go for the CRDi because last year while getting the merc, i went for a TD of the viva and with my driver in front, it was cramped, uncomfortable in the back.
Old 14th April 2005, 12:41   #48
BHPian

i dont think the NCAP ratings make any sense in India since when these cars are rated they do have abs, airbags etc which we dont get here. a classic example would be the opel astra which has an NCAP of 4.

MOD- sorry for going a little off topic but its got to do with safety!

Last edited by adilshah : 14th April 2005 at 12:42.
Old 14th April 2005, 12:59   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

But still,
1.5 stars with ABS (available here) is bad.
The accent has no provision for a passenger airbag. (i dont think so)
Even the ikon has gotten 3 stars.
We will however only come to know the truth once ARAI decides to test the crash worthiness of cars (i wonder what Santro ad will become then?) and the Omni and 800 are sent of the road for not being safe.
Instead of a head lamp leveller it would make more sense to make ABS compulasary.
Old 14th April 2005, 14:03   #50
BHPian

is ARAI actually gonna start crash testing cars. i wonder when. but my guess is once it does about 15% of the current cars being manufactured would have to shut shop.
Old 14th April 2005, 17:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.5 stars with ABS (available here) is bad.
I think that was for the year 98 accents. And not the current ones.

Quote:
Why didn't u go for Viva CRDi ?? was it not there that time ??
Yeah it wasnt launched then...and it didnt make sense...it wasnt offering any additional safety features either.

Drifter
Old 14th April 2005, 17:46   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Then why did OD print it.
But then again, ours is the 98 accent which was launched here in 99.

I hope they start te crash testing soon.
I can bet that the zen, 800, omni and some others will be the ones to go.
Old 14th April 2005, 23:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given the conditions of our roads, it will be wiser to spend a L more on a safer Versa then an OMNI which incase of an major accident
Lambo, I know 1L is not much for many of us, but to the buyer of the Omni who pays 2L, it means increasing the budget by 50%. Its the same as someone with a 20lakh budget looking at a 30 lakh car. He may not be able to afford it.
Most Omni customers come from 2 wheelers and to them it seems much safer and ........it is.
Having said that, its the responsibility of the government to make sure cars are safe. Seatbelt law is a step in the right direction. The govt can do things like give tax breaks for cars with airbags. Lastly Omni should be banned from all highways (esp. undivided)
Old 14th April 2005, 23:31   #54
BHPian

the front grill with all that plastic around the headlamp... somehow it looks like darkcircles under the eyes of that darn van.
Old 14th April 2005, 23:47   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

But guys,
if you notice government employees like traffic cops and all you will notice that they never listen to the law.
No helmets, seatbelts, bikes on the expressway and all.
If the cops do not set an example who will.
The government may enforce laws but if the people who are appointed to safe gaurd the law do not do it then why should the general janta?
At this point, an improvement in road quality and signboards ( a cop died recently after his bike slipped and fell into a ditch) along with the implement of tubeless tyres and Power brakes (surprising isn't it. 21t century and cars still do not have power brakes), ABS, 3 point seatbelts and crash test, manufacturers of unsafe cars will continue selling the car.
Tax breaks or something to those who buy a car with 3 star rating or more will help people buy safer cars which are crash tested and do not mislead the public by saying that our car is safer because we have 5 seat belts.
In the end, its upto the government to uptake the safety issue.
Old 15th April 2005, 02:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

how ever safe or unsafe the car its the driver that is the cause of accidents MOST OF THE TIME.most of the accidents are caused because of a drivers mistake.

there is a turn up ahead and the truck in front of you is moving really slowly.you decide to overtake him .you do that and the next thing you know is your on the curve , to the left is the truck , to the right is a drop and right in front of you is a speeding car or bike , what do you do and then BANG !!! If he was just patient and waited to clear the turn before overtaking it would not have happened.thats just one thing that comes to my mind right now.

so is the ford ikon safe or not.i guess it is but then again i guess not.remember the worli incident where the car broke into two. banged into a pole and split.REASON: yound inexpericed kid at the wheel trying to show off daddies big car.Result: we all know that and lets just leave it behind.

what im tryin to say here is not that omni is a safe car just saying that if driven properly and respected , it wont meet with an accident which will test the safety of the car.most of the omni owners will agree with me on this.

my dads been driving since over thirty years and i swear to god i dont know how hes done it but hes never scraped or damaged the car not even i minor one.only twice my car got bruised once by my driver and once by my mom. besided that never got dented or anything !!
most of youll wont believe me but its true so all im saying is you drive safe and wont need to talk about how unsafe the omni or any other car is !!!!
Old 15th April 2005, 07:37   #57
BHPian

wow man i have now planned to buy a new omni!
Old 15th April 2005, 10:16   #58
BHPian

Agree with RevTech, most accidents are because of extreme impatience and horrid on road manners. Staying in lanes is not considered to be wise, and to get ahead of the vehicle ahead at any cost is the dogma - little realizing that inconsequential time is saved.

I bet Indians can never be relaxed while driving!
Old 15th April 2005, 10:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
I bet Indians can never be relaxed while driving!

I think it should be - Indians can never be patient while driving or resist showing off. :(
Old 15th April 2005, 12:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then again, ours is the 98 accent which was launched here in 99.
Ours is not the 98 accent...98 accents had a sadder shape...i'l get u a pic if u want.

Drifter
Closed Thread

Most Viewed