Team-BHP - New Maruti Omni (Van)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New Maruti Omni (Van) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/4997-new-maruti-omni-van.html)

Maruti has just launched a new version of their popular omni.
Just saw the ad on TV -

It has a new clear lens headlamp -

along with side graphics (below) and a new face (1st pic)

[url=http://www.imageshack.us][/URL

The interiors have a new dash and 2 tone upholstry.

The prices are - 197813 - 252274
Ex showroom mumbai.

Source - maruti website, TV ad.

Frankly, i do not like the front grill.
I am not sure if the prices are new or not as they were for the EII versions.

Maruti would do very well to increase the safety aspects of the omni, by providing advanced safety features like air-bags, infact one needs airbags for the feet too.. Coz in case of a frontal collission, the driver and the front passenger is more than likely to lose their feet.. The price hike is not worth it. The original japanese models of the wagon-r and the omni were more appealing visually as well as designed aerodynamically.. Although they never made it to the indian markets..

The front end looks ugly... and, yeah, it definitely needs some serious makeover...... make it more safer, more upto the mark, interiors are downright terrible... But, then for 2.5 lac.... one couldnt expect more than this.

Today in traffic I was stuck behind an Omni ambulence... rl:
If an injured or very sick person is carried in an Omni, based on it's horrible ride quality, the patient may die much before reaching the hospital.

I think they brought in many changes in Omni specially the Servo assisted disk brakes, new dashboard & standard radial tyres.

IMHO they should have put the servo assisted brakes in the M800 too as it desperately needs them, more so in the E-II & E-III models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
Today in traffic I was stuck behind an Omni ambulence... rl:
If an injured or very sick person is carried in an Omni, based on it's horrible ride quality, the patient may die much before reaching the hospital.

I totally agree with on this Samurai!! Worst still... what if the "ambulance" meets with an accident??(touchwood) the results will be totally devastating....
I always have mused at the thought..... an Omni, the worst car in terms of safety, as an ambulance!!

i dont know why people keep cribbing abt Omni's safety, what about safety in auto rickshaws which millions travel, what about the old matadors. am comparing these vehicle coz even an Omni is MPV & ota family vehicle(remeber the maruti ad)

Also we had an Omni for almost 4 years & we had no issues whatsoever with the car. If you say accidents then even the Merc couldn't save our Dear princess Diana :(

But guys,
For a bare basic vehicle the OMNI is quite expensive.
The Versa is just a lakh more and is bigger, safer, faster and more comfortable.
Maruti should think about replacing the higher version of the Omni with a 1.0 Lt Versa that is completely stripped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat
i dont know why people keep cribbing abt Omni's safety, what about safety in auto rickshaws which millions travel, what about the old matadors. am comparing these vehicle coz even an Omni is MPV & ota family vehicle(remeber the maruti ad)

Technocrat,

I've been an OMNI supporter all my life, untill last week when i saw an accident.. The accident was not very serious as such.. Its just that the front of the vehicle was completely devastated and the driver lost his front legs.. My intention was that Maruti should have included better safety measures for the drivers legs even if they charge a premium for it..

The other fact is that our OMNI is much much faster than the auto-rickshaws and the old matadors.. Making it that much vulnerable in case of accidents..

In my opinion, its one of the most economical and family friendly vehicles in india if you leave aside the safety aspects.. The ride my friend is not all that bad on city roads..

Manish.

i'd still consider my safety while choosing a car. the omni (or van as it is popularly called) is definitely not a safe car.

Hey Kavit,
I agree with you.
Given the conditions of our roads, it will be wiser to spend a L more on a safer Versa then an OMNI which incase of an major accident will cause lots of pain.
BTW, does the Baleno come with crumple zones because the lancer guy was telling me that it did not.

Lambo, baleno Monocoque body

In the event of a collision, the impact is distributed throughout the vehicle body and the affected portion of the body collapses progressively along the in-built crumple zones. This enables the car to absorb the shock, saving passengers from injury. The monocoque body also makes the car extremely light, which contributes towards higher-fuel efficiency and a quicker pick-up.

Baleno's side impact beams are made of heavy-duty steel tubing rather than steel sheeting. This combined with thicker door construction and reinforced cross members provide extra protection for the cabin and its occupants in the event of side collision

HE HE copy and paste from maruti site.

If god forbid i had to be rushed to a hospital in an Omni Ambulance, i would probably be more scared of being driven in that rather than my health. This car should be discontinued honestly its a Terror! And now that they r makin it better they cant use their head and atleast put broader wheels to make it a bit safer. I personally HATE this car, the only time i am driven in it is on the way to the hotel from goa airport. So thats the only good news for me that my ride to the hotel will be more comfy with the new seats but i still will have my fingers crossed until i reach my room.

Hey Vulken thanks.
The lancer dude told me that the Baleno (infact no maruti car) had crumple zones and i remember reading about it so was just asking.