Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 12:57   #61
BHPian

If only the Sonata had done better on the IIHS and EuroNCAP tests, it would have given the Laura and Accord a run for their money.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:08   #62
BHPian

looks like a possible winner here. the gearbox might not be the best auto tranny in the market today but the service network, reliability and less OTR price can give the transform some edge. interiors looks more than decent to me and quite some features also.
waiting for a TD call now.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

The new Sonata seems like a really good deal for the price. Im very tempted. They've addressed what I didn't like about the older one - interiors, just two airbags.
If I do buy one I'd likely keep it for ten years. I wonder what the Sonata costs in maintenance - parts and service.
Separately, people have said the Laura is a better deal. I think just the opposite. I would trust Hyundai any day in A.S.S. compared with Skoda even if the resale of the latter is better. Some of the horror stories I've read here from Skoda owners are scary.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:44   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
looks like a possible winner here.
The Embera, as well, was a winner. It actually was a pretty good sedan. The problem lies in Hyundai's handling of the product (marketing, pricing etc.) and our resistance to any Hyundai over 10 lakhs.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:02   #65
BHPian

@ GTO : couldn't agree with you more. i personally also liked the Embera. dont understand why does hyundai always be soo shhhh about their products when they have potential in them?
went to my nearby hyundai showroom and the car wasnt there. they said display car should come by march.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:57   #66
BHPian

Service Cost

Here is the list of service costs for hyundai vehicle. This does not have parts cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The new Sonata seems like a really good deal for the price. Im very tempted. They've addressed what I didn't like about the older one - interiors, just two airbags.
If I do buy one I'd likely keep it for ten years. I wonder what the Sonata costs in maintenance - parts and service.
Separately, people have said the Laura is a better deal. I think just the opposite. I would trust Hyundai any day in A.S.S. compared with Skoda even if the resale of the latter is better. Some of the horror stories I've read here from Skoda owners are scary.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform'-hyundai_service1.jpg  

Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform'-hyundai_service2.jpg  

Old 17th January 2009, 19:20   #67
BHPian

Got a call from the Hyundai dealer today. He informed me about the new Transform, and quoted ex- showroom prices similar to those in Delhi. CRDi A/T is around 15.90L. Said all Vehicles will be '09, and must be in the showroom by February latest. I shall see the vehicle, get a TD and then decide on the purchase.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:37   #68
Team-BHP Support

This is a pic of the new interiors. The colour scheme is good, instead of brown for the top they have black for the india spec. Also another good thing they did from the pics is the black carpeting compared to beige in other countries.

Name:  sonata.bmp
Views: 1603
Size:  528.6 KB
Old 17th January 2009, 20:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
6-speed Manual for the CRDi is a necessity given the small displacement with turbo-lag for such a large car.

Way to go, Hyundai. Now do something about the marketing (HINT: COTY Awards, unbridled praise in television shows, etc).

I wonder if they will have TD vehicles for the 6-speed CRDi?
They did any changes in the performance or gear ratios? if not then embera's TD is available at hyundai plaza, mathura road (only if you are in delhi) lolz. As i had a TD of Embera CRDi from there itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Embera, as well, was a winner. It actually was a pretty good sedan. The problem lies in Hyundai's handling of the product (marketing, pricing etc.) and our resistance to any Hyundai over 10 lakhs.
I somewhat don't agree with you regarding the price.
Why Embera is not selling decently?
1. Brand Hyundai.
2. People go for the brand name if they are heading for this segment. How many of them actually go for the performance thingy? 1 out of 100 people infact may be 1 out of 200. Most of them were chauffeur driven accords. Now talking of Laura again brand name SKODA. I had seen tons of people praising even Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi in terms of Performance especially on highways over my Elantra CRDi without driving Elantra or Octavia. Just because it is a SKODA. come on man after all Skoda Octavia is Skoda and Hyundai Elantra CRDi is Hyundai. Gosh Janta. So Brand name have a major role in it.
3. Marketing: Hyundai really have a terrible nincompoop marketing team in India.

Now Price... Superb VFM in it's class. Best Price for Sonata Embera if compared with Accord, Laura, Camry......
Old 17th January 2009, 21:09   #70
BHPian

Hyundai Sonata Transform related information - Truveo Video Search
Old 17th January 2009, 21:20   #71
BHPian

woha! 1 year old ad.

What the hell... these fools are not giving AGCS or ESP in it? grrr
Old 17th January 2009, 22:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
T Now talking of Laura again brand name SKODA. I had seen tons of people praising even Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi in terms of Performance especially on highways over my Elantra CRDi without driving Elantra or Octavia. Just because it is a SKODA. come on man after all Skoda Octavia is Skoda and Hyundai Elantra CRDi is Hyundai.
3. Marketing: Hyundai really have a terrible nincompoop marketing team in India.

Now Price... Superb VFM in it's class. Best Price for Sonata Embera if compared with Accord, Laura, Camry......
Well, I've owned both the Octavia and the Elantra in the past. The Elantra has good performance, and is luxurious inside, all right. But people rate it lower than the Octy because the Octy feels more solid and substantial when you actually drive it. It's not all about performance alone. And, the FE of the Octy is also a plus point. But if you sit in the rear seat, the Octy aor even the Laura is a poor deal. I've done several 100km+ drives in all three, and after the day, you are left tired if you happened to be in the backseat of either of the Skodas. What let down the Elantra, IMO, was its styling and the knee- jerk price corrections.

Let us not go OT - we're discussing the Sonata here. If you don't mind the badge, I strongly feel the (Diesel) car is a better proposition than the Accord, Laura or the Jetta, if you are looking at space& comfort. If brand value and resale are your concerns, look elsewhere.

I am seriously contemplating about making myself a guinea pig and buy a Sonata Transform CRDi A/T. I'll decide after seeing the actual car. That'll make a good upgrade from my Verna, instead of the Linea I've been looking at.

Regarding Hyundai marketing, the less said, the better we are off.
Old 17th January 2009, 22:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This is a pic of the new interiors. The colour scheme is good, instead of brown for the top they have black for the india spec. Also another good thing they did from the pics is the black carpeting compared to beige in other countries.
Those interiors are lovely and very desirable. Well done, Hyundai!

Thanks for sharing it, Vid.
Old 17th January 2009, 22:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

the new transform is on display at Hyundai motor plaza, mathura road, delhi, in white and black colour, both diesels. interiors are fantastic and hugely improved over the embera.
Old 17th January 2009, 23:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
Here is the list of service costs for hyundai vehicle. This does not have parts cost.
Thanks for posting that exhaustive list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I am seriously contemplating about making myself a guinea pig and buy a Sonata Transform CRDi A/T. I'll decide after seeing the actual car.
Good, good, keep us posted. There are others here who may follow in your footsteps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks