Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 21:08   #46
Team-BHP Support

True I would be looking at comparing the Civic to the RS. Both are priced in the same bracket. The RS is more powerful in stock form and has more features.

I see no harm in comparing. When the accord and Laura/Jetta can be compared then why not the civic with the RS.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Its no use comparing the Skoda RS and the Honda Civic or any other car because its not on sale anymore... And price wise also, the Civic MT is under 12lakhs while the vRS used to sell and 13.5lakhs+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
A turbo charged 1.8 Civic will leave vRS miles behind
That might be true, but lets not forget the vRS has been detuned a LOT for India.. The vRS engine which is also used in the old Audi TT produced some 250bhp (i think) in stock form so actually this engine is meant to be churining out that much.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Actually, performance wise the Civic is quite slow IMO.

DEFINITELY slower than even a OHC Vtec, from 1-100 and quarter-mile as well.

RS to door ki baat hai.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

@Manveet..
Can you post the quarter mile figures of the Civic & vRS

The top speed of the Civic is ~185kmph and the vRS does ~225kmph even though its got only about 15-20bhp more and being atleast 100-150kgs heavier as well.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

The 1.8 TPi with nice alloys & tyres would suffice for most "enthusiasts". The potential for modding the TPi is the same as the vRS.

Some fo the overprices features on the RS are the Zenon Projector setup (try getting a replacement). The sunroof is of no great use for the climate in our country & is an expensive option. The rear disc brakes make sense. Climate control is nice.

I think if they had the pricing right on the RS - it would have resulted in far better sales.

All & all it is / was a great catr, but a tad overpriced I thought.

As for the Civic.... I am considering a "reliable" turbo for the Civic as & when it is available. BUT the key word is reliable. I hate to have a car which I am always worried about in dependability terms. The Civic should make more power in the turbo Avtaar than the stock 1.8 TPi. The option of the 235 Bhp Civic is mouth watering BUT as I said the reliability factor is Key. So till such time that happens - RS rules !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 13th December 2008 at 10:45.
Old 13th December 2008, 21:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
@Manveet..
Can you post the quarter mile figures of the Civic & vRS
Sorry, I don't have such figures.

Quote:
The top speed of the Civic is ~185kmph and the vRS does ~225kmph even though its got only about 15-20bhp more and being atleast 100-150kgs heavier as well.
That's not how you compare car performances, i'm sure you know that. For e.g., an OHC VTEC at 106 bhp is wayy faster to 100 kph and quarter mile than a Civic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The 1.8 TPi with nice alloys & tyres would suffice for most "enthusiasts". The potential for modding the TPi is the same as the vRS.
good point Ricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The rear disc brakes make sense.
1.8 TPi also comes with rear discs.
Old 13th December 2008, 21:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
That's not how you compare car performances, i'm sure you know that. For e.g., an OHC VTEC at 106 bhp is wayy faster to 100 kph and quarter mile than a Civic..
if this is true, it is also possible that OHC VTEC had better power to weight ratio than Civic?

Last edited by Guna : 13th December 2008 at 22:00.
Old 14th December 2008, 00:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have such figures.

good point Ricky

1.8 TPi also comes with rear discs.
1.8 Tpi currently sold is a rider. Hence only drum at rear.
Old 14th December 2008, 00:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
1.8 Tpi currently sold is a rider. Hence only drum at rear.
No baba, it's called the Ambiente and HAS disc brakes in the rear.

Here's a screen-shot from their website !
Attached Thumbnails
Why did Skoda discontinue vRS-untitled.jpg  

Old 14th December 2008, 00:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

FYI, ALL the Octavia petrols came with All round discs and ABS, even the older 2.0 liter cars had them. The diesels had both of these deleted, and thus the price of both the cars were same initially.
Old 14th December 2008, 01:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Lot of information is biased here.

Quote:
The official speed of Civic is 205 kmph. I have myself done 209 kmph in stock Civic with a video posted else where on this forum.

Quote:
That might be true, but lets not forget the vRS has been detuned a LOT for India.. The vRS engine which is also used in the old Audi TT produced some 250bhp (i think) in stock form so actually this engine is meant to be churining out that much.
That is a different engine, not the one which is there in vRS. And by the way all cars incl Civic and Octavia are detuned for India. Civic abroad also comes with K20 engine.
VW 1.8T is pretty old block now and does not compete with latest engines at all, both in terms of power and FE. Unfortunately, same is true for the whole car, the design dates to more than 13 years back - long time in today;s age.

For me vRS and Civic were amongst the shortlist, and I did high speed testing in both the cars before making my decision... At end of it, it;s the overall package. No wonder Civic hammered the final bolt in vRS's coffin.

Sorry to stir a debate here... obviously this is a skoda fan thread.
I was a vRS fan too till Civic came in.

PS: these are only my view point, your's may differ
Old 14th December 2008, 13:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No baba, it's called the Ambiente and HAS disc brakes in the rear.

Here's a screen-shot from their website !
OOps! my bad!
but they eliminated rider from their variants list.??

But 2.0 petrol did have drum brakes right. Please clarify.!
Old 14th December 2008, 13:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
OOps! my bad!

Nope, the 2.0 Petrol also had rear Disc brakes....I owned one previously.
Old 14th December 2008, 13:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Lot of information is biased here.

The official speed of Civic is 205 kmph. I have myself done 209 kmph in stock Civic with a video posted else where on this forum.

That is a different engine, not the one which is there in vRS. And by the way all cars incl Civic and Octavia are detuned for India. Civic abroad also comes with K20 engine.
VW 1.8T is pretty old block now and does not compete with latest engines at all, both in terms of power and FE. Unfortunately, same is true for the whole car, the design dates to more than 13 years back - long time in today;s age.

For me vRS and Civic were amongst the shortlist, and I did high speed testing in both the cars before making my decision... At end of it, it;s the overall package. No wonder Civic hammered the final bolt in vRS's coffin.

Sorry to stir a debate here... obviously this is a skoda fan thread.
I was a vRS fan too till Civic came in.

PS: these are only my view point, your's may differ
Whislt no one can doubt that Civic is a newer and better overal package but its very far from being an enthusiasts package as vRS was touted to be. The amount of detune on Civic is also much less compared to the vRS. Civic internationally is sold at 138 bhp and in India at 130. So the overall difference being 8 bhp. Whereas vRS has been detuned quite a lot more (I dont want to get in to debate whether its 180 or 200 bhp). In other words vRS with an ECU remap alone has a lot more potential than a Civic with an ECU remap.
Civic turbo is out of question as realiability and cost of an aftermarket turbo are questionable.
In addition from simply a drivers standpoint vRS is a hoot to drive with turbo kicking in. I dont care about the number of seconds it takes to 100, I am talking about in gear accererlation and torque. Lastly the gizmos in vRS make Civic look quite basic in this dept.

Dont get me wrong Civic is a great car, I love it too. But its a question of heart over mind. Civic is a educated decision, one you cant go wrong with, be it A.S.S, FE, resale. Civic scores in all depts. But vRS is a hearts decision, its expensive to maintain, low FE, low resale, but it simply gives you the driving pleasure that no other car southward of 20 lakhs can.

vRS is something you always wanted to have... Civic on the other hand is like a good sensible decision. You only live once, live the dream!!!

Last edited by aseem : 14th December 2008 at 13:40.
Old 14th December 2008, 14:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OOps! my bad!

no it had discs all round i noticed this recently at Skoda's A.S.S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks