Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 23:23   #31
BHPian

I've only once seen a Skoda Octavia RS on the road here in Chandigarh.. although the city is full of Skoda's 99% have to be diesel... for the simple reason of mileage...
The Honda Civic was (still is) the preferred Petrol car in the D segment, purely because it oozes sexiness!! The RS just could not compete with the Civic (although it is much much better car to drive and have fun with!)
Old 12th December 2008, 10:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I am just wondering whether the CIVIC had a role to play in accelerating the VRS demise..

the CIVIC could put out 137bhp without a turbo and i think the performace times are similar ? could some one confirm
Although civic is pretty competitive but still its next to impossible that civic could outclass vRS in performance. A person looking for pure performance would look at vRS rather then civic and also vRS is extremely tuner friendly.
Also i feel people had a general exception that vRS has very bad mileage. I myself get around 5-7 Kmpl when driven hard. And its very tough not to drive this car hard! , so obviously FE would always take a hit.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:33   #33
BHPian

Just to get clarity here does vRS & TPi have the same engine. Do they have the same power?
Old 12th December 2008, 14:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yes they do have the same power.

The vRS has in addition, a body kit, xenons, wide tyres and a sunroof.

Oh yes, a vRS badge too
Old 12th December 2008, 15:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Skoda was always and is still known for their diesel cars which are pretty good and probably the best in the segment. And the diesel skoda's can now also be modded to say around 200bhp i suppose so which means good power and economy

But the RS was only for the enthusiasts and those who are will probably afford the car but not the service costs. And the RS retailed at 14lakhs plus OTR, and for that money now you can get a Laura.

The suspension for the RS is surely a different from the one on the 1.8TPi. I remember reading it in the first Overdrive/ACI test drive of the RS a few years back. You can check it on their website i think. And the suspension is stiffer but not lower, it appears lower due the the low front bumper.

Last edited by karthik247 : 12th December 2008 at 15:12.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Can anyone give me a SOURCE that mentions that the 1.8 TPi and RS have a different suspension.

I am asking cause I've heard some people say that they are, and some say they aren't!
With my interactions with a person who owns RS, I am given to believe that RS has stiffer and lowered suspension set up. This guy always would have data and facts so I belived what he said.
I have read that Laura RS certainly has stiffened and lowered suspnsion.
I was checking test drive reports on Octavia RS in ACI and Overdrive but they seem to have contradicting views on this. Overdrive even writes that GC of RS is better than other Octavias due to bigger wheel. So, you can't take them seriously
Old 12th December 2008, 15:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
You're saying the rear spoiler and gaping front end LOWERED the Cd? Highly unlikely.
yes , the rear spoiler and the front air damn have reduced the cd , i think by .1 as compared to the regular octavia , there has got to be some funtionality in doin that , not just for the looks
Old 12th December 2008, 17:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

We live in a country where, when people see a 911 or even a CBR they don't ask about the 1/4 mile but. " bhai sahab iski mileage kya hai"?
Old 12th December 2008, 17:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
But the RS was only for the enthusiasts and those who are will probably afford the car but not the service costs. And the RS retailed at 14lakhs plus OTR, and for that money now you can get a Laura.
It is not right to compare an RS to a Laura; one is petrol and the other diesel. A fair comparison would be the L&K vs. Laura.

Quote:
The suspension for the RS is surely a different from the one on the 1.8TPi. I remember reading it in the first Overdrive/ACI test drive of the RS a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
I was checking test drive reports on Octavia RS in ACI and Overdrive but they seem to have contradicting views on this. Overdrive even writes that GC of RS is better than other Octavias due to bigger wheel. So, you can't take them seriously
Like I said before, I need a RELIABLE source. Nowadays, ACI and Overdrive cannot be called reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The vRS has in addition, a body kit, xenons, wide tyres and a sunroof.

Oh yes, a vRS badge too
Your sarcasm is misplaced. That's what Honda has done with the Civic Sports. In fact, the RS is one of the few cars having substantial difference from their basic counterparts.

You forgot to mention Bucket Seats, Climate Control and a smaller steering wheel. These things are difficult to get after-market.

Quote:
You can check it on their website i think.
Nothing like that is mentioned on their website. I have even gone through all the print ads that were issued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
With my interactions with a person who owns RS, I am given to believe that RS has stiffer and lowered suspension set up. This guy always would have data and facts so I belived what he said.
Human tendency is to say things that would add exclusivity to one's own possessions. If you are still in touch with your friend, request you to please ask him for the facts. I am genuinely curious in this aspect of their difference. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

The difference between the vRS and 1.8TPi
1.Climate control AC
2.Cruise Control
3.Body hugging seats, more padding on the sides
4.Sporty steering
5.Bodykit (front bumper, rear spoiler, exhaust tip)
6.Projectors with xenons and headlamp washers
7.Rain sensing wipers
8.16" alloys
9.Sunroof
10.Harder suspension

These are the main ones, there are a few more smaller differences like the foldable key for example
Old 12th December 2008, 18:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, no real sarcasm was implied up there. But yeah, Civic Sports was an eyewash to get rid of 1.8S stock. While everyone of my friends went gaga over it, I was trying to talk sense : "It's a bodykit on an S for cryin' out loud!".

Don't think I do not like the vRS. I went mad trying to find a new one before zeroing in on my current car. If my dad didn't have an aversion to second hand cars, I'd be in the vRS club instead.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The difference between the vRS and 1.8TPi
1.Climate control AC
2.Cruise Control
3.Body hugging seats, more padding on the sides
4.Sporty steering
5.Bodykit (front bumper, rear spoiler, exhaust tip)
6.Projectors with xenons and headlamp washers
7.Rain sensing wipers
8.16" alloys
9.Sunroof
10.Harder suspension

These are the main ones, there are a few more smaller differences like the foldable key for example
Also, what about the disc brakes, heard the 1.8Tpi has only front disc brakes wheras the RS comes with 4 (not sure about this and need somebody to confirm), and also are sure about the suspension, alot of people seem to be confused about the same, including me.
Old 12th December 2008, 19:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Check this out
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rs-1-8tpi.html

The 1.8TPi does have all wheel discs and abs standard. All other goodies are stripped off
Old 12th December 2008, 20:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although civic is pretty competitive but still its next to impossible that civic could outclass vRS in performance. A person looking for pure performance would look at vRS rather then civic and also vRS is extremely tuner friendly.
You are comparing a turbo charged 1.8 engine with a NA 1.8 engine.
A turbo charged 1.8 Civic will leave vRS miles behind. It still has better mileage than vRS and better Fuel economy to.
But yes it has to be an aftermarket option...

Last edited by ST7677 : 12th December 2008 at 20:50.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:05   #45
BHPian

thats fine ST7677 but i'm talking about these two car in stock factory settings. What we do after acquiring the car to make it more quick is unlimited. You will find many people who would want performance from their stock cars instead of getting into the headache of modding it later and doing all permutations and combinations. But in stock 'as built' basis vRS would outperform the civic. Modding civic to match or outclass vRS is no doubt possible but then it wont leave civic stock anymore and for some it could be an issue.
Also vRS would have an edge over civic at high speeds...

Last edited by ashish22 : 12th December 2008 at 21:07.

Most Viewed