Team-BHP - Why did Skoda discontinue vRS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why did Skoda discontinue vRS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50443-why-did-skoda-discontinue-vrs.html)

Now the way things stand now, unless I migrate to a different country, I probably wont own an Audi TT, at least not in this life. The only thing that can come close to this dream would be to buy a Skoda RS with the same heart as previous gen Audi TT. A great engine at stock and even better to mod. Now this brings me to the point, why the HELL did Skoda discontinue the closest thing to a sporty car in a budget we Indians had???:Frustrati

Now I know there are second hand cars to be found. But the point is that Skoda A.S.S. is costly and an old car with turbo, which has mostly likely been ripped can be quite expensive. Timing belt, electronics, to even simple parts, things can go wrong and leave a big whole in the pocket, spcly for a second hand car which you dont know how has been used. I know we have the no frills rider.. but thats really not in the same league. With all the gizmos missing and possibly a different suspension setting, its certainly not a RS replacement.

Does Skoda have any plans to reignite the Indian scene. Can we see the RS back.... please:

It was discontinued due to the low sales. That's what the skoda dealer told me.

Luckily I got the last vRs of the nation :D

I think there is something even better on cards, Laura RS. But it would be 20+

Yeah, but they are brining the Laura vRS is Diesel form only......

what i don't get is that they stopped the RS which was slow selling whereas they still have the 1.8 TPi which sells in even lower numbers!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclipse78 (Post 1087877)
Yeah, but they are brining the Laura vRS is Diesel form only......

That's what i thought but when i went to the Autocar Expo in Delhi they said they had no plans to bring the Laura Vrs diesel, only the petrol. Even that now looks bleak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 1087888)
what i don't get is that they stopped the RS which was slow selling whereas they still have the 1.8 TPi which sells in even lower numbers!!

Some of these companies arent exactly known for their handle on the pulse of the client base. Besides in this case, Skoda probably thought they were doing themselves a favor by retaining a cheap version of the Octavia

I think for the simple reason, at that cost it did not sell good numbers, moreover Octavia Diesel killed the sales of all its petrol siblings.

Skoda was experimenting with the market

Basic diesel - works
Loaded diesel - works
Basic pretol - not worked
Loaded petrol - ditto
Fast loaded petrol - worked a little
cheap loaded petrol - not worked
Combi - failed

Fast diesel - might be but timing is now all too wrong

also big brother VW is angry that Skoda has stolen a lot of its limelight globally

I think the Vrs was discontinued to make way for the Laura Ambiente Tdi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1088560)

also big brother VW is angry that Skoda has stolen a lot of its limelight globally

Yeah.. they have a problem that other car companies would love to have. Cheap perception in their home land, luxury car in India!

if they bring Laura VRs... ill be one of the first buyers of it :-).

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 1088652)
I think the Vrs was discontinued to make way for the Laura Ambiente Tdi.

I highly doubt a potential vRS customer will switch over to the Laura Ambiente just because it's priced at the same level.
A vRS consumer is all about performance and sporty looks, which the Laura Ambiente isn't so it wouldn't create any conflicts.
vRS discontinued because of poor sales. Period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 1087888)

I find this highly confusing as well. The majority of the people who opted for the vRS wanted to go fast and look good doing it. The TPi goes fast but looks bland. Ideal for a sleeper car, but then not many going for the vRS were looking to hide the fact that they drove a sporty car.
Skoda could have taken out some of the gizmos/luxuries in the vRS like the xenons, full leather upholstery, moonroof etc whilst retaining the trademark vRS skirts, colours, Recaro style seats, sporty steering etc. This would have knocked the price down, but the car would still have retained its individuality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem (Post 1087817)
Now the way things stand now, unless I migrate to a different country, I probably wont own an Audi TT, at least not in this life. The only thing that can come close to this dream would be to buy a Skoda RS with the same heart as previous gen Audi TT. A great engine at stock and even better to mod. Now this brings me to the point, why the HELL did Skoda discontinue the closest thing to a sporty car in a budget we Indians had???:Frustrati

Now I know there are second hand cars to be found. But the point is that Skoda A.S.S. is costly and an old car with turbo, which has mostly likely been ripped can be quite expensive. Timing belt, electronics, to even simple parts, things can go wrong and leave a big whole in the pocket, spcly for a second hand car which you dont know how has been used. I know we have the no frills rider.. but thats really not in the same league. With all the gizmos missing and possibly a different suspension setting, its certainly not a RS replacement.

Does Skoda have any plans to reignite the Indian scene. Can we see the RS back.... please:

Aseem, you can buy the 11 Lac Skoda 1.8 TPI, 150 bhp, same heart as the RS.

RS had additional features viz : a sunroom, leather seats, climatronic ac.. . . . and yes upgraded suspension, but if u looking at a car with a good heart. there it is. the 150 bhp Skoda 1.8 TPI beast. According to me, one of the best cars for its price.

Cheers,
AC