Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 15:12   #61
BHPian

Petrol Linea comes close to Aveo 1.4. Although Aveo generates a similar at but lower rpm levels. But given bigger tyres and body Linea certainly seems to be underpowered. Certainly not for enthusiastic drivers. MJD is better but when you see ANHC launch, Linea excitement fades. Which side of the C segment would it belong to?

BTW great job sid!!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I was just wondering, where does the front registration plate go? Does one drill holes into the bumper, or are people expected to hang it from the grill a la "don't park in front of this gate" signs?
Its the same in new Palio Stiles . You need to drill holes into the bumper. One wouldn't like to hang it from the grill unless you specifically want!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Nice scoop sid, thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see what the pricing will be like.
List of features is impressive, but I am disappointed they didn't get a more powerful engine. The 1.9 Turbojet being used in the Bravo (that Fiat import and sell in India) could have been on the list of variants. I would have been very interested in one.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Its the same in new Palio Stiles . You need to drill holes into the bumper.
Very True....
Guys check out this link this ll answer most of your questions.- Fiat Linea -
Old 11th December 2008, 15:30   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Even the petrol variant is not powerful just another 94 bhp.
I think 94 BHP is enough for a C-segment car. Baleno was a 95BHP car, and was powerful enough. Previous Honda City had a 77BHP engine, and people were happy with it. If Fiat give a 150 BHP Linea, these people will then start complain about FE.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think 94 BHP is enough for a C-segment car. Baleno was a 95BHP car, and was powerful enough. Previous Honda City had a 77BHP engine, and people were happy with it. If Fiat give a 150 BHP Linea, these people will then start complain about FE.
Well said. I've been reading this thread & trying to figure out why we sometimes crib just for the heck of it! The NHC & Baleno figure very high on the same set of people's lists yet the Linea is castigated before even a Test Drive has happened.

LOL!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_2cool View Post
Wow this is a very nice information passed on ....
Watch Out For 16th DECEMBER Guys its the next big thing in Blore...
Got an invitation from Concorde Motors to come down at their Mysore Road Showroom for a test drive ....ll update more once I get my Hands on the beast .....
I thought they are not launching on the 16th DEC
Old 11th December 2008, 15:38   #68
abk
BHPian

Sid does it. Again Scoops ought to be your alias

Reading through all the posts on how underpowered the 1.3L MJD engine of Linea potentially is, I wonder if many of us are still somehow stuck on the high CC figure engines from yester years. NHC in the same segment did superbly well, at least in the sell numbers, with an engine which was called underpowered by a significant population of car enthusiasts. Lets face it - a vast majority of the car buyers and prospective Linea buyers would not be too bothered about the power specs so long it is a good car well packaged together. It is forums like TBHP where the auto knowledge (& wisdom) of members are wider and deeper and consequently, higher demans & expectations and the tendency to favour power & engineering over other factors. All extrapolations and real life driving characteristics of the Linea engine apart, I am happy just with the power and torque figures. Too high is actually more dangerous on our roads and traffic conditions and the sensibility of animals and humans on the road! LOL
Old 11th December 2008, 16:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop again Sid

Btw I wonder why are they bringing in new 1.3/1,4 engine for Linea when they already have the 1.6 on the Palio? Shouldnt that help them keep costs lower?
Old 11th December 2008, 16:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well said. I've been reading this thread & trying to figure out why we sometimes crib just for the heck of it! The NHC & Baleno figure very high on the same set of people's lists yet the Linea is castigated before even a Test Drive has happened.

LOL!

and add the 90bhp OCTAVIA to that list !

and I think FIAT might have avoided the 1.6 that comes in Palio for the fact that it gives relatively poor FE

Last edited by narayan : 11th December 2008 at 16:49.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Great job Sid(though now i expect this from you)
I am quiet impressed with the list of features and as for the power if 75bhp of Swift Vdi is good enough for me then Linea would do great(also Pete's box can take it to 105bhp so no sweats about power).

Also i would like to add more power is a disadvantage in India, i learned that when i was doing 160kmph and avoided a fatal accident in which definitely would have lost mine and my families life. That day on i prefer 100-120 which is relatively safe and controllable speed.

Anyways back to topic- Pardon me for my ignorance and explain me these features please-

fire prevention system
engine and gearbox shield
Fiat CODE system
follow me home headlights
heated outside rear view mirror

Thanks and any idea about the prices as well SId?
Also expected FE?

Last edited by harry10 : 11th December 2008 at 16:52.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:05   #72
BHPian

Thanks for the informative scoop Sid!

Even thought the engine specs seem to be on the lower side, I am sure that the Linea will be far from underpowered.
Anyways, we are so used to the Palio and in the 1.6 avataar that it seems that another FIAT car (C segment especially) should be more powered. However, the 1.6 has specs that even shame a lot of other C segment cars including the Octavia! Bottom line, the car should not only be judged by the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Fiat CODE system
@harry:
follow me home headlights --> the headlights stay on till a specific time interval, even after switching off the car and the headlights, to allow the owner/driver to open the garage doors using the lights of the car. (this is obviously used at night when one is fumbling for the cellphone to shed some light to help in opening the locked garage door with the keys.)
Fiat CODE system --> engine immobilizer. Does not allow the engine to be cranked/started without the correct key. (saves the car from being hot-wired)

If I've got it wrong, someone please correct me

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th December 2008 at 17:15. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 17:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways back to topic- Pardon me for my ignorance and explain me these features please-

fire prevention system
Fiat CODE system

Also expected FE?
From what I know (me not an expert in any of them though):
fire prevention system is to cut off fuel in case of fire accidents (through some sensor)
Fiat CODE system is the immobilizer. If someone tries to break in or use duplicate keys, it will cut off the fuel and computer will not allow the engine to start or whatever.
Follow me home headlights will keep the lights on after you shut down the engine and lock it, thus allowing you to get out of the garage in the light.
Heated outside rear view mirror is to avoid fogging on the rear view mirror. This is pretty much a nuisance in cold and/rainy days that your outside rear view mirror is fogged and hazy.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also expected FE?
fire prevention system
Its been on all Palio Models. Its a system that cuts off fuel in case of any hard impact so as to minimize the possiblility of fire.

Must be a guard under the engine to protect the engine and gear box from impacts if at all you scratch your butt!!

Fiat CODE system
Its another way of calling an immobiliser that we find on new cars

Its a quite simple yet "feel good" feature where the park lights and the roof lamps come 'on' when you open the car (using the remote in most cases). It helps you locate your car in the dark and walk upto it in light. Its quite inviting in the night.

This should be heated outside rear view mirrors to avoid fogging of the rear view mirrors. Not sure how much it would be required in india.

F.E is said to be around 14-15 on an average.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Opendro, Prateek and gemithomas
Guess i knew about the Immobilzer but thought maybe some coding is added into this.
These small but 'feel good' features are what i like in any car and i feel Linea has the best features in the 10 Lac segment. Correct me if i am wrong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks