Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 11:53   #91
BHPian

But then I fail to understand Fiat's point with giving the following items as standard in the 'Active' version:
- rear window defogger with timer
- 3 headrests for rear seat
- engine immobiliser
- tilt steering
- power steering

And then this:
power windows (FRONT ONLY)
manual remote fuel and trunk lid opener

Why not all round Power Windows ? When you are giving 3 head rests, why not the comfort of powering up the windows ?
Also why the manual fuel / trunk lid opener ? Even my 1999 Zen Lxi has a power option.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:55   #92
mxx
BHPian

sid, any chance we will get the 1.4 16v 120bhp engine, atleast at a later stage?
Old 12th December 2008, 13:37   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
manual remote fuel and trunk lid opener
What exactly deos this mean? Do they mean its cable activated, or else one needs to use a key to open the trunk lid?
Old 12th December 2008, 14:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What exactly deos this mean? Do they mean its cable activated, or else one needs to use a key to open the trunk lid?
As opposed to a electric boot release, which I presume will raise the hatch door at the touch of a button.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:54   #95
BHPian

Looking at the equipments in different trims, it looks to me that they have targetted the best equipped car, i.e. the SX4, both in lower and upper trims. Quality should be among the best. Power is not great, but nothing to complain about. The way the launch is delayed is the only thing to complain about. Whatever be the situation and circumstances, I say, there is a limit even for the number of times one can change his words on excuses.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
The way the launch is delayed is the only thing to complain about. Whatever be the situation and circumstances, I say, there is a limit even for the number of times one can change his words on excuses.
To be very fair, Fiat has changed the dates only once i.e. Dec-16.

Can you tell me any other date Fiat said about the Linea launch?

It was media that was speculating the launch dates, which went awry everytime.

Last edited by finneyp : 12th December 2008 at 15:07.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:17   #97
Senior - BHPian

Reading the below letter my respect for Fiat has grown. Lets not speculate it as an excuse of delaying the launch as it did looked they were all set for 16 dec launch and itsthe right move of delaying it as Media might had forgotten Mumbai incident people of the county haven't!
Old 12th December 2008, 15:18   #98
BHPian

Finneyp I did read an interview with Fiat MD in India in Jan this year where he talked about launcing Linea in June / July and GP by year end . This interview was published in Autocar however he did mention about high local content apparently we ended up reading both sentences separately instead of reading them together .
Old 12th December 2008, 15:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

to be fair to FIAT India, the worst affected place in the Mumbai carnage was the Taj, which is their partner's group company. So, they are doing the right thing by delaying the launch given the sombre sentiment right now.

otherwise,which company wants to produce a load of cars and have inventory pile up? There will not be much change in the business sentiment between now and Jan 09 in terms of the recession, so this delay seems to be for purely emotional and sentimental reasons, as a mark of solidarity, which is very laudable!
Old 12th December 2008, 15:40   #100
BHPian

[quote=gemithomas;1089123][

heated outside rear view mirror
This should be heated outside rear view mirrors to avoid fogging of the rear view mirrors. Not sure how much it would be required in india.

In my view it is quite useful when you are driving in rain, this will dry the mirror of water droplets which blur the rear view. Out here in Chennai, I would definitely use it during Oct-Nov.

My Civic does not have a number of features in the Linea, I think feature wise this will be a smashing product.

All the best FIAT !
Old 12th December 2008, 16:29   #101
Senior - BHPian

Anyhow there is little reason to whine regarding the launch. Since the Dec 16 launch was supposed to be a 'soft launch' like the Suzuki GSR 150 anyway .. launched in Dec and deliveries only in Jan.

So what's the big difference.

How much difference is the twin cam head going to make on the overall drivability can someone suggest ?

>> Media might had forgotten Mumbai incident people of the county haven't!

Right on. We shall never forget.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:36   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Great stuff!

@Sidindica- You ought to change your nic man. You are the breakthrough guy on TBHP.
Shold be awarded as TBhpian of the year.cheers:
Old 12th December 2008, 16:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
To be very fair, Fiat has changed the dates only once i.e. Dec-16.

Can you tell me any other date Fiat said about the Linea launch?

It was media that was speculating the launch dates, which went awry everytime.
Other sentiments apart, Fiat had never directly given a date. However, it had maintained in 2007 that Linea would be launched by mid 2008. I even have the response by email during my inquiry in 2008 May. During auto expo 2008 in Delhi, they mentioned as September or third quarter or whatever. But it was pretty well known fact that they intended as September, but never committed. Then came December. Even here, there was no official date from Fiat, but we all know again through media that Dec 16 was the date and again no names mentioned while quoting the date.

Theoretically, Fiat has never announced a date, except that we once saw December 2008 in an animated picture. Even during October, they still continued to say that Linea will be launched anytime between September and December!! Fiat CEO responded to some emails that Linea would be launched in this year, come what may, but not yet decided on the month and date then.

I'm pretty sure that even if any other company does this kind of launch, people would be agitated. If you say that people are not forgiving to Fiat, that is wrong. If it were Maruti, there would be even more bashing. I'm quite sure of that.

Keep all frustrations aside. All that we still want to know is the launch date. Jan 2009!! Again not through official news, but through media and user email responses. "Jan 2009" is knocking on the door, still the speculated date is a window of a full month!!! Sorry if you guys thought I'm just bashing Fiat. It is just pathetic handling by Fiat India people.
Old 12th December 2008, 17:00   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
This letter shows how much the company is connected with the people of the country. I am owe my heart to them. They might have not lost anything, but their close business associates have (TATA) - Employees, family, friends and probably a reason to smile.

Mr. TATA, I am saddened beyond words. She'll be back, Taj would be back.

Mr. Rajeev, we are with you. Thank you for showing your commitment towards the members of this lovely country. It would have been easy for you guys to launch the car with much fan fare. Probably you would have succeeded as well. Just the way many news channels have forgotten the incident, people too would move on.
with you and considering the sentiments of the whole nation and the partnership with TATA, I wouldn't dare to launch the celebrations of launching the car..
Old 12th December 2008, 17:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
with you and considering the sentiments of the whole nation and the partnership with TATA, I wouldn't dare to launch the celebrations of launching the car..
I agree that Tata was directly impacted by the attack. But I don't agree that Fiat is with the people here. We see more gruesome killings every now and then in our country and we have habitually moved on with the so called "Mumbai spirit" or whatever. Just because people at the creamy layer were killed, does it justify a magnified reaction or mourning. It is not surprising in our country though, because in our country even the former prime ministers are not equal. One full week of mourning for one PM's assassination, but hardly any mourning for the death of another great PM who changed the whole dynamics of India economy. So, it is probably not right for me to expect people to see common man and five star hotel customers equally. Never will the celebrities and politicians.

We have faced just another unfortunate attack. To me it is no different from any other killings, by internal or external elements. And I don't see any immediate solution to it. I would rather rely on the terrorist not to attack me than relying on our security/administration system to protect us. When my day comes, I will also go just like any one of those who had gone.

I just couldn't resist my feelings about others feelings of the recent happenings.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed