Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:53   #226
BHPian

As there is war clouds in the horison the Big question I would like to ask is

Will FIAT wait for war to end before launching its Linea as public sentiments will be definetly against new car launch at the time of an war like situation where patrioism will be the mood not new car in the home!!!
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:53   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Sorry Amit. The tone of RX135 was equally provocative and sort of derogating the mindsets of many who are waiting for Linea launch.

For that matter no one quietly make cars... some companies , they announce that" their car is "THE CAR OF THE YEAR" before even they launch or in the very first month of the year " .Its all part of the game. Considering the reviews from all over the globe , everyone believes that LINEA is going to be one of the best cars! And the company makes cars to make money,even they should be in a hurry for the release,there might be some last minute issues.. Its worth waiting for such cars that too from FIAT. Lets hope that they launch it soon!
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:57   #228
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, in Jan-Feb window India will launch strikes against Pakistan and then that will be another reason to postpone the Jan 14 launch again.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

There wont be any war as Indian politicians are busy milking money.

@Open- ya i agree with you to some extent. If the company is serious in selling their product they should market it properly and sadly Fiat sucks at marketing skills.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:17   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I suggest you tone down your language. That post of yours has gone pretty personal.
On the contrary, I found it quite entertaining

Quote:
Tata launched Vista on time. Honda launched Honda City (all new one, unlike Linea which was already launched in 2006 and is just to be reproduced here in India). Toyota launched Altis (yes, there was a delay of a month, but they were prompt to announce the date and put a teaser). Maruti launched A star, with a teaser site. M&M delayed Xylo launch, but they announced the date and put a teaser as well. All these happened when the economy is bad, when Fiat was technically ready to go for production and launch of Linea right from September. Did I miss anything else? Anyway, this must give you enough update as you have just arrived from another planet.
If you read my post again, I am talking about December launch.

Tata: They launched Vista on time and are finding it hard to sell it. Shutting the plant down for couple of weeks and are forced to cut down production 3 days per week.

Toyota: They did great. Kudos to them! But they did it *prior* to meltdown. Now they have shelved their expansion plans.

Maruti: Launched A star. Great! They have muscle to do that and this not a car on which their future lies. One size doesn't fit all

M&M: Delayed the launch.

Honda: Launched the car without a single car out there in market for 2 months. No, not even demo cars. But their dealers were prompt to take 1L as booking amount. But then don't we all love Honda?

Fiat: Messed up with their September launch date, which may be appear like a good thing in hindsight. But did a wise thing to postpone the launch from December to January. Fiat is not looking at T-BHPians, which are enthusiasts, as their only target customer base. There is much bigger market out there, which has no clue about this car or when it's going to be launched. For them, it hardly matters if this is December or January. (If one had to go by just TBHP opinion, NHC should have been sales disaster and Accents shouldn't be on roads). Most people avoid buying in December simply because they think they'll get car in new year and they'll have better resale value. 2008 vs 2009 model. Fiat can not take too many chances with this product, because unlike Maruti A star, Linea and Grade Punto will decide how long Fiat can stick around in Indian Market as car manufacturer. They make mistake, they are out of business.

I am not corporate guru, neither am I interested in giving gyan. What I talked about was corporate common sense.

Last edited by RX135 : 23rd December 2008 at 19:18.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:14   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you had just arrived from another planet, let me summarize. Tata launched Vista on time. Honda launched Honda City (all new one, unlike Linea which was already launched in 2006 and is just to be reproduced here in India). Toyota launched Altis (yes, there was a delay of a month, but they were prompt to announce the date and put a teaser). Maruti launched A star, with a teaser site. M&M delayed Xylo launch, but they announced the date and put a teaser as well. All these happened when the economy is bad, when Fiat was technically ready to go for production and launch of Linea right from September. Did I miss anything else? Anyway, this must give you enough update as you have just arrived from another planet.
Looks like you are also new in this planet. Here is an update for you. Fiat Linea was launched in world market in 2007 and not 2006
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:59   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Looks like you are also new in this planet. Here is an update for you. Fiat Linea was launched in world market in 2007 and not 2006
Ah! That can be forgiven

Guess "The day the earth stood still" has had some after effects now. (The movie sucked big time)

I think we should avoid quarreling (more so about planets of origin) and rather continue the "speculation" about the Linea.. "Will they ? Wont they ? Will they ? Wont they ?", Sounds interesting now ?
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:20   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Ah! That can be forgiven

Guess "The day the earth stood still" has had some after effects now. (The movie sucked big time)

I think we should avoid quarreling (more so about planets of origin) and rather continue the "speculation" about the Linea.. "Will they ? Wont they ? Will they ? Wont they ?", Sounds interesting now ?
I don't want to get into unnecessary arguments. For all your information, Linea was launched in October 2006 in Turkey.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:36   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
On the contrary, I found it quite entertaining

If you read my post again, I am talking about December launch.

Tata: They launched Vista on time and are finding it hard to sell it. Shutting the plant down for couple of weeks and are forced to cut down production 3 days per week.

Toyota: They did great. Kudos to them! But they did it *prior* to meltdown. Now they have shelved their expansion plans.

Maruti: Launched A star. Great! They have muscle to do that and this not a car on which their future lies. One size doesn't fit all

M&M: Delayed the launch.

Honda: Launched the car without a single car out there in market for 2 months. No, not even demo cars. But their dealers were prompt to take 1L as booking amount. But then don't we all love Honda?

Fiat: Messed up with their September launch date, which may be appear like a good thing in hindsight. But did a wise thing to postpone the launch from December to January. Fiat is not looking at T-BHPians, which are enthusiasts, as their only target customer base. There is much bigger market out there, which has no clue about this car or when it's going to be launched. For them, it hardly matters if this is December or January. (If one had to go by just TBHP opinion, NHC should have been sales disaster and Accents shouldn't be on roads). Most people avoid buying in December simply because they think they'll get car in new year and they'll have better resale value. 2008 vs 2009 model. Fiat can not take too many chances with this product, because unlike Maruti A star, Linea and Grade Punto will decide how long Fiat can stick around in Indian Market as car manufacturer. They make mistake, they are out of business.

I am not corporate guru, neither am I interested in giving gyan. What I talked about was corporate common sense.
Good post! Thats well said.. what ever you posted really makes sense!
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to get into unnecessary arguments. For all your information, Linea was launched in October 2006 in Turkey.
OK, Even I don't want to get into trivialities here, but my statement still holds good. It was released into the market only in late 2007. In 2006 they just announced in Turkey motor show that they are bringing a new car called Linea next year.
No further arguments from my side on this
Old 24th December 2008, 03:27   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Who are you to teach corporate mantra and all that? Wherever you work, if you cannot be on par with the rest of the folks in the same field, you are out of business and draw flakes from the customers.

If you had just arrived from another planet, let me summarize. Tata launched Vista on time. Honda launched Honda City (all new one, unlike Linea which was already launched in 2006 and is just to be reproduced here in India). Toyota launched Altis (yes, there was a delay of a month, but they were prompt to announce the date and put a teaser). Maruti launched A star, with a teaser site. M&M delayed Xylo launch, but they announced the date and put a teaser as well. All these happened when the economy is bad, when Fiat was technically ready to go for production and launch of Linea right from September. Did I miss anything else? Anyway, this must give you enough update as you have just arrived from another planet.
One more info, the NHC is not an all new design, atleast not for the people who has ever been to japan, its actually HONDA FIT + "BOOT". Honda fit was launched in 2001, and they attached a boot to it as FIT ARIA in 2002 beginning. The same was rebadged as HONDA CITY in India, Thailand, Philipines etc and launched during September 2002.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:59   #237
BHPian

Why would I care to give a damn to when Fiat would launch Linea? I cared before, not anymore.

People who have come from other planets again, slow down started from 2007 end and economy has been crashing for the whole of 2008 on this planet. My point was that companies still continued to launch cars even in second half of 2008, irrespective of the volumes they sell.

If people keep arguing, even Linea is a Grande Punto with a boot. That is not the point. They had a car with production model right from October 2006 and they launched it in mid 2007 in other markets. All they had to do was to reproduce the same here, for which they took till mid 2008. That is all fine. But they didn't launch the car even after they were industrially ready for launch, not delayed by a few weeks, but by four months!!!

Ok. Guys. Support the delay as much as you can. I'm out of these useless Linea threads. I'm done with it (unsubscribing all of them and not going to read again).
Old 24th December 2008, 11:00   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Guys. Support the delay as much as you can. I'm out of these useless Linea threads. I'm done with it (unsubscribing all of them and not going to read again).
Opendro, Man! Surprised to see you so agitated! But then, I remember reading your earlier posts in other threads and know that you were eagerly awaiting this launch.
Chuck it yaar, not worth this much wait.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:50   #239
BHPian

Quote:
If people keep arguing, even Linea is a Grande Punto with a boot.
Wrong statement, Punto wheelbase is 2450mm while Linea has 2603mm, Punto width 1625mm - Linea 1730mm, Punto height 1450mm- Linea 1494mm
Old 24th December 2008, 12:01   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post

OT, but just a few small corrections:
Tata Motors shut down the Commercial Vehicles Plant for one week. not a couple.
During weeks that the plant is running, production happens on all days, not only 3 days a week.
Regarding the Vista, the Car plant production is on as usual and infact they're finding it hard to meet demand.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed