Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 22:54   #166
BHPian

awsome modifications on the orange sierra all the mods anyone can dream of on the
sierra are here with excellent workmanship hats off to the fellow who has done this.
Old 17th November 2009, 00:24   #167
BHPian

Got mine from Dr. Kamath^^^ (nice to see you on here! )

Old 19th November 2009, 17:13   #168
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am now looking for a turbo sierra probably around 1997-98 make. Can you guys let me know the current market price so that i can go around BULL hunting
Old 19th November 2009, 17:22   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
Hi Friends, I am now looking for a turbo sierra probably around 1997-98 make. Can you guys let me know the current market price so that i can go around BULL hunting
Check out New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com for current market price. They will give you and idea as to what to offer the seller.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:25   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Check out New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com for current market price. They will give you and idea as to what to offer the seller.
thanks Abbas... i checked it and its pricing 85000 for a 98 excellant maintained turbo model. I saw a dealer quoting 145000 for the same year of manufacture. Will there be a huge diff from what they mention in this site?
Old 19th November 2009, 17:40   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
thanks Abbas... i checked it and its pricing 85000 for a 98 excellant maintained turbo model. I saw a dealer quoting 145000 for the same year of manufacture. Will there be a huge diff from what they mention in this site?
Well the prices at the site is pretty reasonable, so i think you should go by it unless the dealer has installed new shoes, bigger a.c. etc. Check what is he offering.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:17   #172
BHPian

guys i need ur help badly and quickly as well. a year a ago i saw a sierra up close and ever since have been in love with the car. i talked to the manager at a tata service centre and he told me he could find me one. the day before the very day that i was to buy the sierra , i had a massive car crash in which my baleno and the police gypsy i crashed into were totalled. i broke my collar bone and was bedridden for two months. because of this the sierra slipped away

recently i told the guy to find one again. but finding a turbo sierra is proving to be very difficult in delhi. ppl who have them dont want to sell them.
na sierras are still available BUT I AM ADAMENT ON THE TURBO VERSION....SINCE THE NA SIERRA IS JUST A BEAUTIFUL SUMO IMHO(or should i say not so humble opinion)

the problem

i want to know if i can buy an na sierra and exchange its engine with that of the safari(will buy used engine from mayapuri in delhi) , cuz from what i noe the engine is basically the same except for the turbo. are the gearboxes on the turbo and non turbo version of the sierra the same and does the gearbox housing of sierra match with the safaris engine block ??

since the turbo 2 litre engine is available in a host of tata models, this seemed like a good idea to me cuz it shouldnt be hard to find one in good condition.

the old safari, the turbo sumo, the winger , the tl ....all come with this (90 bhp, 2l) engine
ppl who have compared the drivetrain of the two versions please help. i am dying to own a sierra
Old 13th February 2010, 12:36   #173
BHPian

1. the gear boxes of na and turbo sierras are different. the tcic safari gb will match a turbo sierra engine- same gb version but only slight difference in gear ratios. people who have swapped with a tcic safari gb are happier - please refer Vishnu's posts.
2. the engine, turbo charger and many other parts are same and are shared by tcic safari and a turbo sierra. but when you convert a na sierra to turbo by fitting parts procured from a tcic safari, there are many things that are different like interconnect hoses, mountings, which you'll have to buy. also the turbo engine needs more space in the engine room, which to my thinking would be difficult to manage.
therefore it will be easier if you buy an old turbo sierra in good body and chassis condition and fix tcic safari engine, gear box, etc in it.
hope this helps.
Viju
Old 13th February 2010, 16:28   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You are better of changing both the engine and gearbox if you are getting an NA sierra. Since the turbo engine came on a gazillion Sumo Victas there should be plenty available in the used car market given the sumo's constant desire to lie down on it's side while taking high speed turns.
Old 13th February 2010, 20:10   #175
BHPian

thanks vijuvarghese and 4x4addict
its the option i am considering now...since finding a turbo sierra is turning out to be a futile pursuit.

will the safari engine and gb be a direct fit, (same mounts and propeller shaft)??
i thought the block and gearbox housing of the na sierra , turbo sierra , sumo, sumo turbo and safari would be IDENTICAL. since they are all the same capacity(dont think tata would have spent a massive amount for new moulding dies, for small mods) also how much should i pay for safari engine and gearbox?? with and without return of old used engine. since basically the engine is identical , except the turbo and the resulting increase in output, does it matter if i just stamp the old engines number on the new engines block??
thanx

also are a ll sumo victas turbocharged or is the turbo version optional??

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2010 at 22:02.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:17   #176
BHPian

This is my Sierra Turbo '98
J ust left my car of with the mechanic for complete Repainting
Will Post Better pics once painting has been done
I should get round to writing a review some time,kind of Lazy
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-dsc00160.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-dsc00161.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2010, 17:41   #177

]guys i need ur help badly and quickly as well. a year a ago i saw a sierra up close and ever since have been in love with the car. i talked to the manager at a tata service centre and he told me he could find me one. the day before the very day that i was to buy the sierra , i had a massive car crash in which my baleno and the police gypsy i crashed into were totalled. i broke my collar bone and was bedridden for two months. because of this the sierra slipped away

recently i told the guy to find one again. but finding a turbo sierra is proving to be very difficult in delhi. ppl who have them dont want to sell them.
na sierras are still available BUT I AM ADAMENT ON THE TURBO VERSION....SINCE THE NA SIERRA IS JUST A BEAUTIFUL SUMO IMHO(or should i say not so humble opinion)

the problem

i want to know if i can buy an na sierra and exchange its engine with that of the safari(will buy used engine from mayapuri in delhi) , cuz from what i noe the engine is basically the same except for the turbo. are the gearboxes on the turbo and non turbo version of the sierra the same and does the gearbox housing of sierra match with the safaris engine block ??

since the turbo 2 litre engine is available in a host of tata models, this seemed like a good idea to me cuz it shouldnt be hard to find one in good condition.

the old safari, the turbo sumo, the winger , the tl ....all come with this (90 bhp, 2l) engine
ppl who have compared the drivetrain of the two versions please help. i am dying to own a sierra

Hi, I know what it is like to find a Turbo Sierra especially in delhi as i have gone through the same about three years ago but eventually found from an expat who initially quoted 3 Lacs and i was like i should give up this pursuit. Eventually it landed into my hands just before a dealer was about to take the deal away 3-4 months later and that too at the last moment. The car had all service records in place from TASS and paid a 'fair' price . The seller bought Safari 3.0 (this was in 2006) and once asked me if i wan't give it back to her in exchange with her safari (ofcourse with some additional moolah) as the AC of Safari was no match for Sierra Turbo. At that point in time i was like . Anyhow i would say if you can, consider the option of buying Sierra Turbo from Chandigarh because for the following reasons :

1. A car like Sierra is adored by many in Punjab and Chandigarh and most of Sierra's from Delhi have been bought by people from this region only in resale apart from new ones.
2. Most of Sierra's in Delhi in my opinion are in a bad condition.
3.I agree with the fact that very few people who own this car are willing
to sell it and that too for an exorbitant price.
4.As you know that car is no longer in production for almost a decade now so the supply is only available in the used car market where there is still a demand (may be negligible) which is Chandigarh.

There is a weekly car market organised by the local car dealers in Madhya Marg Sector 7-8 every Sunday in Chandigarh and you will find many Jeeps and cars for sale and I am sure you'll be able to spot your dream Sierra just there. You could PM me for any further help.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2010 at 22:04. Reason: Please read the Mod note in your post, thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 18:44   #178
BHPian

The exact same question has been asked and answered before maybe you should read the entire thread.as far as my limited knowledge goes the gearbox on the safari has shorter gear ratio's.maybe somebody else can help you there
Old 27th February 2010, 02:10   #179
BHPian

@abhishek- well what i really wanted to know was not if the gearboxes are absolutely identical, but if the housings were same or similar, that if it can b mounted onto the turbo engine without an adapter plate or welding new mounts on the body. the gear ratios will obviously be different for the turbo engine considering the penchant tata motors has for bettering their cars. since you have a turbo sierra maybe you could take a few snaps of the mounts of the gearbox that hold it onto the body, that could help clsrify doubts

@digvj- while your idea would be the best option for most of us and would save us the time and headache of searching fr a sierra, but it unfortunately isnt an option for someone living in N.C.R. thanx to the supreme court of india.you see , you cant reregister an out side state vehicle in ncr that doesnt conform to the prevailing emission norms. also your average delhite is more ostentatious than his fellow country men, therefore they prefer an endeavour or a modded civic to cars like the sierra and the contessa(both are cars that i am looking forward to owning sometime soon), there arent many true automobile aficionados here so even vintage and classics are a rarity here.( the laws dont make it any easier. cant bring in classics from other states)
considering the above it shouldnt be hard to see why i am considering desperate measures like a drivetrain swap.
also could you let me know what the fair price was that you paid for the excellent sierra you procured three years ago, will help me decide what to offer for i car that i might find

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 27th February 2010 at 02:12.
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:52   #180
BHPian

Can't help you with the pics as the cars not with me currently.i meant the ratio's are different for the safari and the sierra turbo although they are both turbo charged engines & they have almost the same engine except if i remember this right the bore size is diffrent or something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks