Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 21:01   #226
BHPian

re: Pics: Tata Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalblood View Post
Sorry, couldn't start a new thread! Hence asking all sierra owners on this thread/forum, is it worth buying a sierra turbo '98 with outer mag radial tyres (all 5 new ones) & ice (4 channels) and a very very neatly maintained bodyline/floor for 1.2L?

Just don't want to be baited with this hard earned money.

Pros & Mods, Please help.
try for within 1lakh....sierras go for about 75 for the turbo here in delhi but since its got new tyres (ice rarely commands a premium)and it being a bangalore car, where prices for used cars are always high , i probably would have given 1.2 for the car but definitely , you cant call it a steal.
Old 15th May 2011, 08:48   #227
BHPian

digitalblood please have a very very good look at the sierra if it has everything that you wanted it to have and doesnt require a paint and body job , is mechanically sound and you are not going to end up doing it all anew then 1 to 1.2 lacs is a decent price because at 60 to70 k you will end up with vehicle which will require 50 k to set it straight.
if the current owner has kept the car in pristine condition go for it cos these specimens are few and far between
Old 15th May 2011, 09:47   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, couldn't start a new thread! Hence asking all sierra owners on this thread/forum, is it worth buying a sierra turbo '98 with outer mag radial tyres (all 5 new ones) & ice (4 channels) and a very very neatly maintained bodyline/floor for 1.2L?

Just don't want to be baited with this hard earned money.

Pros & Mods, Please help.
Please take up this exercise before you buy. Pop into 3 or 4 used car dealerships. Tell them that you are looking for a car and while you are discussing the options available slowly let in that you have a SIERRA 98 model with all that is said above. See what they say, add about 25% to their average quoted price and that should be the price for the SIERRA.

Having said that, you could still make an emotional desicion. A SIERRA bought for even 2 lakhs, if it does not burn a hole in your pocket can still keep you smiling
Old 15th May 2011, 21:02   #229
BHPian

Thanx for all your valuable comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
try for within 1lakh....sierras go for about 75 for the turbo here in delhi but since its got new tyres (ice rarely commands a premium)and it being a bangalore car, where prices for used cars are always high , i probably would have given 1.2 for the car but definitely , you cant call it a steal.
As you have already mentioned, Bangalore is sure a place where you endup paying that "little extra" on everything. After a lot of math & Random, i have zeroed in on a sierra & am firm on the decision now. It is either a sierra or nothing. Thanx for the consoling line "i probably would have given 1.2 for the car".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
digitalblood please have a very very good look at the sierra if it has everything that you wanted it to have and doesnt require a paint and body job , is mechanically sound and you are not going to end up doing it all anew then 1 to 1.2 lacs is a decent price because at 60 to70 k you will end up with vehicle which will require 50 k to set it straight.
if the current owner has kept the car in pristine condition go for it cos these specimens are few and far between
I have taken a very neat & a very long look at the beast and was quite happy at its maintenance. The current owner has maintained it very very neat except for a small 1 Rupee coin size rust on the driver door. He also told me that the gasket for the silencer has been roasted & the smoke enters the cabin when speeding over 70 kmph. However, after a test drive, i found that the suspension needs a VERY LITTLE attention. Apart from this, i fund nothing awry in it and i actually increased my fixed budget due to temptation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Please take up this exercise before you buy. Pop into 3 or 4 used car dealerships. Tell them that you are looking for a car and while you are discussing the options available slowly let in that you have a SIERRA 98 model with all that is said above. See what they say, add about 25% to their average quoted price and that should be the price for the SIERRA.

Having said that, you could still make an emotional desicion. A SIERRA bought for even 2 lakhs, if it does not burn a hole in your pocket can still keep you smiling
I did take a good friend along for the test drive & this guy happens to understand the tunes of such beasts better than me. Even his conclusion was that i will not be able to find another such piece in such good condition. Though i cant decide on just one person's opinion, I thought it would be a great help in deciding on this particular machine by taking all your help.

Thanx a bunch all!
digitalblood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:49   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Thanx for all your valuable comments

As you have already mentioned, Bangalore is sure a place where you endup paying that "little extra" on everything. After a lot of math & Random, i have zeroed in on a sierra & am firm on the decision now. It is either a sierra or nothing. Thanx for the consoling line "i probably would have given 1.2 for the car".
So have you finally bought your Sierra ?

I have bought a Sierra a couple of years ago and it is in very good condition with no need of any mechanical work needed except a regular service.

Even then I have managed to spend 30-40 k on stuff I wanted upgraded for the car (tyres / battery / seat covers / autocops / vkool). So if this car comes preloaded with what you would want, hope you have bought it already !

Post some pics
Saptarshi B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 15:08   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post

I have bought a Sierra a couple of years ago and it is in very good condition with no need of any mechanical work needed except a regular service.

Even then I have managed to spend 30-40 k on stuff I wanted upgraded for the car (tyres / battery / seat covers / autocops / vkool). So if this car comes preloaded with what you would want, hope you have bought it already !

Post some pics
unfortunately, not yet. :( Had to re-route the money for medical expenses that rose from no-where.

Still struggling to fill up the empty slot.
Old 1st March 2012, 21:59   #232
BHPian

Here are the pic of mine 99 model sierre turbo after restoration
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-420835_359071657456458_100000608805515_1135919_668781493_n.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-426194_359069870789970_100000608805515_1135915_1767397755_n.jpg  

Last edited by sashas : 1st March 2012 at 22:02.
sashas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 00:02   #233
BHPian

Good pics! What all did you get done in the restoration ? And how long did it take ?

Goa regn ?
Old 12th March 2012, 15:32   #234
BHPian

Nice pics guys! Makes me nostalgic! Also made me wonder, TATA reely did come up with gorgeous vehicles during that time (Safari, Sierra) which were ahead of its time! Wonder what happened later to TATA(Of course Indica & Nano did get a lot of attention but still...) ?

Last edited by urajkumar : 12th March 2012 at 15:37.
Old 13th March 2012, 23:06   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Good pics! What all did you get done in the restoration ? And how long did it take ?

Goa regn ?
Ya it is a goa regn It took me almost 5 month for restoration.minor patch work and the running board has been changed. repainted the vehicle and pump was also overhauled.

Last edited by sashas : 13th March 2012 at 23:09.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:53   #236
BHPian

Quote:

Post some pics
Yay!! Finally I got my hands on the beast! Here are a few pics that was taken on the day i took delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-1.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-2.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-4.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-5.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-6.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-7.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-8.jpg  

digitalblood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 02:25   #237
BANNED

Can any body help me to find a pair of sierra tail lamps?.

Abin
Old 18th March 2016, 20:11   #238
Senior - BHPian

To all Tata Sierra lovers..My 1997 Sierra recently restored to its glory !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-001.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-002.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-003.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-004.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-005.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-006.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-007.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-picture-010.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-016.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-017.jpg  

hillram is offline   (9) Thanks