Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 10:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelystar View Post
I think the Sierra turbo had gearbox from the safari, ithink the first gen safari. Also all sierra owners can try replacing OVRM from sumo victa which really gives a cool look IMHO. Also can try fitting fuel lid opener from the victa. One common thing i've noticed is that all sierra owners love to keep the front window half way down while driving and i think that gives a mysterious view of the proud owner.

Well said lonelystar. Yeah most of the Sierra owners love to keep them half open. Looks really kool. Why dont you post your Car pics in the thread.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Even my SIERRA story is connected to my Dad.

We used to have a MARUTI 800, till the poor thing got totalled in front of our house when a INDICA rammed into it. Everybody walked out safely though. My Dad demanded a bigger car and thought the INDICA rammed into his car because he was driving a small car.

I decided on the SIERRA because of its huge built, and small footprint (Its as wide as all other SUVs but not as long as them, which makes parking in the city so much more easier. I measured it, its wider than an AMBASSADOR, but smaller in length by a feet!). After we bought the SIERRA, my Dad drove it for a few months, but could not manage it in the city. We then got a REVA for him and the vehicle landed in my lap. Have been nurturing it since then.

I'm facing a dilema. My whole family is up against me and the SIERRA. Everyone wants to sell the vehicle off since its difficult to get into the back seat for my Parents. I've tried everything, putting side-boards - compromising on looks and ground clearance. A SIERRA owner recommended moving the front seat forward by 6 inches, but I guess that would compromise the front leg space. I even enquired about the gull wing door modification, but did not get any good opinion. Now i've almost resigned to the fact that I might have to trade in the SIERRA for a SAFARI because of family.

Thats the tear in my eye :-(
Do I selfishly retain the SIERRA, or do I place parents before myself and go for the SAFARI.
@Arun : The concern you have is with each and every Sierra owners. The back seat is defenitely an issue. I never face an issue as my Mom can still manage without side boards. I will be putting those in my Sierras this Christmas. BTW my friend who was having the same issue had made a customized side board which defenitely doesnt suit well but works magic for his parents.

At the end of the day its your decision whether to go for a new Safari or to retain your Sierra. For me i have bought another small car for my parents, so they are not frequent on my Sierra.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey vishnu, I've got the same colour and the same year. I saw the pics and felt as if i looking at mine, which is at home. Its a mean machine. But maintaining it is a tough job. Recently my Aircon compressor failed and i'm not able to find one in markets here and also plastic parts like rear taillight assly etc. Is it freely available in bangalore or Hyderabad. Anyone in this forum plz. let me know.
The rear tail light assembly is available in Bangalore, but it is not of the SIERRAs, its of the 207

I recently bought rear tail light covers for mine for 150 each and had to use a hacksaw blade to cut off some plastic on the inside before they fit my vehicle.

The SIERRA still lives on in the 207, the front part that is. Its only the rear that has become extinct.
Old 19th December 2008, 10:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The rear tail light assembly is available in Bangalore, but it is not of the SIERRAs, its of the 207

I recently bought rear tail light covers for mine for 150 each and had to use a hacksaw blade to cut off some plastic on the inside before they fit my vehicle.

The SIERRA still lives on in the 207, the front part that is. Its only the rear that has become extinct.

Hi Arun,

I am not sure about that as i guess i got that for Sierra's. There is a shop in Bangalore where you get parts of extinct vehicles and if not available they will get it for you... This was told by my mechanic.

Post some pics of your Car mate.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

Its not owned, its possessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu7185 View Post
@Hillram - Whats the tech spec? Is it a turbo Charged or a Normal version.
That looks like an NA spec Sierra, the Turbo came with squarish wheel arches and not the rounded ones.

I too had a Sierra Turbo, metallic red, chrome wheels shod with 235 section tires, quite perfectly done for how a Sierra should look.
There was so much oomph the bull had that I simply could overlook all the miserable electronic niggles.
We were going to buy one when it was first launched, but there wasn't much good and since my father was mainly going to use it he bought himself an esteem. Soon, brother reached the legal age to be in the driver's seat and did not buy a car for almost 10 months till my father was convinced to buy him a Sierra Turbo. A couple of years later I reached the legal age and the bull was passed on to me.

manson.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:27   #36
BHPian

Guys,

I too own a Big Bull!!!Sierra Turbo '99 model. Recently i changed my rear lights (4 sets). You'll get almost all the spare parts in Car Automobiles, JC Road, Bangalore...

will post the pics soon...
sunilchakola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 08:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilchakola View Post
Guys,

I too own a Big Bull!!!Sierra Turbo '99 model. Recently i changed my rear lights (4 sets). You'll get almost all the spare parts in Car Automobiles, JC Road, Bangalore...

will post the pics soon...
@Sunil :Post the pics of your bull man.

Guys

Its been quiet a while that i have replied. I was busy as i was on my vacation and also a bad news is that my bull met with an accident on my way back to Bangalore from Kerala. i dont know whether i can post my experience here or in the street experience thread.

@Mods : please reply
Old 19th January 2009, 09:44   #38

Hey vishnu sorry to hear that man, how did it happen. I hope the damages are minor. I guess it not your fault.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:18   #39
BHPian

@lonely
My friend was driving my Car and there was a mini lorry going in front, we were at around 80kmph(thank god) and all of a

sudden the lorry stopped in main road(he didnt show any sign neither there was no vehicles in his front, only God and the

driver knows why he stopped, he immediately started the vehicle and went). My friend applied the brakes .. brought down

gears and it was nearly very slow but due to heavy breaking the car slid down the impact beam of lorry and came up

crashing up my bonnet, front grill, two head lights and it blew the ac pipe as well. We thought we will some how manage

to Bangalore with just two broken lights. soon we started after running for some 1 hour we stopped by for a tea. and i

saw a wire got melted and stuck on the radiator. i pulled it off , we started driving again and i found that the temp was

rising. i stopped and then we thought we will stay there for the night and morning we will pour water and take the car.

In the morning when we got up and poured water our heads started literally rolling the radiator is been holed and we are

in middle of a village and that too on a sunday. Luckily by God's grace we have parked in front of a small hut. The guy

who was living there was an automobile enthusisiat and he went and brought a mechanic. Seeing the mechanic we got really

scared, he was just 12yrs old boy. He told us that he need to take out the radiator to put mseal.He started to work from

7am , started removing the bumper broken head lights , intercooler and finally radiator. He fixed it and reassembled it.

Now once done i was thinking how much he is gonna charge me for it(common mentality), i was sure that he was gonna charge

me around 1k and i thought i will bargain. He completed everything by 2pm. and we are ready to go and i asked him how

much . he thought and told 150rs. I was really confused and surprised, emotions flushed out and finally i paid him 300rs.
We then drove to Bangalore.

Now the car is in workshop. i am facing a slight issue in finding one part.
@Sierra Owners please help if you have come across such an issue.the front thin stay which supports the headlights and

grill is damaged so badly that my tinkerer says as its a thin piece he cant tinker and even if he does it wont be having

good finish. This stay is sttached to the radiator stay. and it has a slight projection outside which comes just behind

the bumper.I am not sure if the 207DI part will match or not as its having the same headlights, and grill. Please advice.

I am posting the picture of my Cars part and a good Cars piece.
vishnu7185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 12:29   #40
BHPian

@Mods: Seems my previous post came up horribly
PICS ARE HERE
Pics: Tata Sierra-image1024.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-image1035.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-image1037.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-image1038.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-img_3260.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-img_3261.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-img_3271.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-img_3273.jpg
Pics: Tata Sierra-img_3275.jpg
Old 19th January 2009, 14:39   #41

Never let ur bull in others hand, i won't even to my best friend because i know when it comes to handling it needs seasoned hands. Unfortunately im staying away from home and i can see the bruises on the bull - thats my brother driving.

Anyway i feel it not that bad and the front is exactly similar to 207, so i think it can be a direct fit. The only thing thats changed is the grill and the bumper. If ur changing the radiator go for the aluminium core, it works better but maybe a bit costly. And headlight only the geniune. I felt the lumax after market is not up in quality.
Didn't see any pics. of the bumper. i Hope its not damaged as its difficult to get tinkered. Keep updated on the progress. Safe driving.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Never let ur bull in others hand, i won't even to my best friend because i know when it comes to handling it needs seasoned hands. Unfortunately im staying away from home and i can see the bruises on the bull - thats my brother driving.
Ah. thats true my friend but my friend is a really good driver (he drives a safari) and moreover we were doing an overnight drive from Kerala to Bangalore(12-13 hrs). When things are destined we cant just help it. Now i am happy that we didnt travel in any small cars, intially we were planning to travel in our Getz but good that i took this one.

With respect to the radiator there is a small hole which is already repaired and installed. Lights are Lumax only 1k each (not sure), then comes indicators. luckily no issues with ac condensor and fan.Tinkering completed on bonnet. New grill purchased.

Only issue i am having is in getting the part shown in the picture. The part need to have a bit curvature as seen in the other Sierra. I havent analysed a 207 hence not sure whether its a direct fit and there wont be no space between bumper and the stay, hence if you guys can confirm that , it would be of great help. Not even a singe scratch on the bumper.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:29   #43
BHPian

@Sunil and @Lonelystar - post the pics of your bulls. Seems the thread is dying as the Sierra Owners(including me) are very lazy to post their pics in the forum . I am planning to get all together and lets try for a meet cheers:. What say folks?
Old 20th January 2009, 19:02   #44
BHPian

Hi Vishnu very sad to hear that ur bull met with an accident...Lumax orginal Head lights cost re.1250/-. you'll get it in JC road, Car Automobiles. Regarding the part you mentioned in the pic. better you check that in Shivajinagar (Gujri).

Even im eagerly wants to meet all folks together...
Old 26th January 2009, 14:53   #45
BHPian

This is my Bull....
1999 Sierra Turbo/ Clocked 102000 KMS

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2009 at 18:28. Reason: see note in post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks