Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 23:02   #16
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu7185 View Post
Hi guys... i will defenitely post a detailed ownership review soon .. here are some more pics.

Getting it serviced before my trip
Attachment 78617

Just brought home
Attachment 78618

Got washed after our drive
Attachment 78619

Will defenitely upload more pics with more interior and other details....

well maintained bull.. which model is it.??
Old 14th December 2008, 23:04   #17
BANNED

TATA Sierra. The very day the go anywhere in your Sierra ad came on TV, i was hooked on to it.

It has its own charm, but not marketed well.

I've driven one, its again a great comfortable cruiser and heard the 4x4 is good at off-roading too.

Guys some more pics would light up this thread.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:22   #18
BHPian

Hey Dinar

yeah finally my bull is out with the 2004 Safari gearbox, believe it or not it just crosses 100 with an ease. The shivering has reduced a lot and also doing extremely well on mileage . I am getting 12kmpl on city

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Hey vishnu, great ride buddy, hope the new gearbox problemfree?
Old 15th December 2008, 14:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
well maintained bull.. which model is it.??

Its a 1999 Feb Model with Turbo intercooler and now with the 2004 Safari gearbox.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

One of my dream vehicles and the car my dad loved.
We dont own one, but I really loved the car. There was a posted in then best selling car magazine " Auto India " where the Sierra is shown just parked with half of the inclined climbed. I have that picture in memory.

The best Sierra to have was Turbo 4 X 4 that was offered just before the car was taken off the market.

I am looking forward to a detailed ownership report with the images. Would love to read that report. How does it compare to the present high Center of Gravity cars like Scorpio and Safari. I think that this overweight car was a better handler than Safari.

I remember we were travelling in M800 back in around 1995 and a White Sierra overtook us. I asked dad to chase it but dad never did that and told me it was a car he would love to own.

Looking forward to more stories of this car.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We dont own one, but I really loved the car. There was a posted in then best selling car magazine " Auto India " where the Sierra is shown just parked with half of the inclined climbed. I have that picture in memory.

The best Sierra to have was Turbo 4 X 4 that was offered just before the car was taken off the market.

I am looking forward to a detailed ownership report with the images. Would love to read that report. How does it compare to the present high Center of Gravity cars like Scorpio and Safari. I think that this overweight car was a better handler than Safari.

I remember we were travelling in M800 back in around 1995 and a White Sierra overtook us. I asked dad to chase it but dad never did that and told me it was a car he would love to own.

Do i detect a little tear in the corner of your eye?
Old 16th December 2008, 08:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Indeed man . The Car definitely has true fans all over, no age barriers even the young and the old love to own it. It was my Dad's dream as well to own it but he could not hence he never stopped me from getting one..
Old 16th December 2008, 09:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mera Number Aagayaa

Here goes mine.

Its a 94 NA, and I bought it in 04. Have gone through heaven and hell with it, but more of heaven

The only only only problem I have is that 65 year old parents find it extremely tough getting into the back seat

Will post a detailed ownership experience, promisecheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-image009.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image010.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image011.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image012.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image013.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image015.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image016.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image017.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-image018.jpg  

Old 16th December 2008, 09:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sierra makes my heart jump is leaps and bounds.Its truly an iconic SUV considering the it is the first INDIGENOUS developped car..that can me claimed 100% Made in India from every nit and bolt to gearbox and Engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May the Sierra clan continue..................
Old 16th December 2008, 10:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Hahahah... seriously! The way he's written it, i was begining to have it in my eye!! I cant say anything more that "Aggoswami" hasnt said already!

Love the car, Man! And its been 6 months or more maybe, that i am hunting for one!! ANy help?
Also i noticed that most of these cars are from B'lore. Whats the case with Mumbai? Mumbai owners ..where are u? I know there are many, cos i have seen some really neat maintained cars around!
Old 16th December 2008, 11:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Yes almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu7185 View Post
Indeed man . The Car definitely has true fans all over, no age barriers even the young and the old love to own it. It was my Dad's dream as well to own it but he could not hence he never stopped me from getting one..
In my case, I am yet to get to that financial level and the car was discontinued. To exactly tell you how much my dad loved this car.
@tejas, vishnu7185, others:
When we were hunting for a car in October 2005, Sierra was not available. The car that came closed to Sierra in my dad's mind was Safari. He was very keen to get this " better Sierra ". Its a different thing we went in for Baleno, but still, he had an eye for Sierra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

Will post a detailed ownership experience, promise
Would appreciate that.

My few thoughts about this reinventing this car.

As we all know that the Xenon is being tested in India. There is a thread running also.
Sierra has a good fan following, not as huge as let's say Zen ( original ) or Baleno or G1HC, but still quite a large audience.

Tata must come up with a new Sierra based on Xenon. It must be offered in two engine versions. One motor from Grande Sumo and other from Safari( basically one motor with different state of tune ). Must be placed as an alternative to Safari and higher than Sumo Grande. The rear doors need not be present and just the glasses like the earlier sierra had.
I am sure TATA will be able to conquer the city SUV market where both Safari and Scorpio are having a good run. Also can work as an alternative to cars that are bought and used as city cars.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th December 2008 at 11:33.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Even my SIERRA story is connected to my Dad.

We used to have a MARUTI 800, till the poor thing got totalled in front of our house when a INDICA rammed into it. Everybody walked out safely though. My Dad demanded a bigger car and thought the INDICA rammed into his car because he was driving a small car.

I decided on the SIERRA because of its huge built, and small footprint (Its as wide as all other SUVs but not as long as them, which makes parking in the city so much more easier. I measured it, its wider than an AMBASSADOR, but smaller in length by a feet!). After we bought the SIERRA, my Dad drove it for a few months, but could not manage it in the city. We then got a REVA for him and the vehicle landed in my lap. Have been nurturing it since then.

I'm facing a dilema. My whole family is up against me and the SIERRA. Everyone wants to sell the vehicle off since its difficult to get into the back seat for my Parents. I've tried everything, putting side-boards - compromising on looks and ground clearance. A SIERRA owner recommended moving the front seat forward by 6 inches, but I guess that would compromise the front leg space. I even enquired about the gull wing door modification, but did not get any good opinion. Now i've almost resigned to the fact that I might have to trade in the SIERRA for a SAFARI because of family.

Thats the tear in my eye :-(
Do I selfishly retain the SIERRA, or do I place parents before myself and go for the SAFARI.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:55   #28

Hey vishnu, I've got the same colour and the same year. I saw the pics and felt as if i looking at mine, which is at home. Its a mean machine. But maintaining it is a tough job. Recently my Aircon compressor failed and i'm not able to find one in markets here and also plastic parts like rear taillight assly etc. Is it freely available in bangalore or Hyderabad. Anyone in this forum plz. let me know.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:08   #29

I think the Sierra turbo had gearbox from the safari, ithink the first gen safari. Also all sierra owners can try replacing OVRM from sumo victa which really gives a cool look IMHO. Also can try fitting fuel lid opener from the victa. One common thing i've noticed is that all sierra owners love to keep the front window half way down while driving and i think that gives a mysterious view of the proud owner.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelystar View Post
Hey vishnu, I've got the same colour and the same year. I saw the pics and felt as if i looking at mine, which is at home. Its a mean machine. But maintaining it is a tough job. Recently my Aircon compressor failed and i'm not able to find one in markets here and also plastic parts like rear taillight assly etc. Is it freely available in bangalore or Hyderabad. Anyone in this forum plz. let me know.
@Lonelystar : I recently got my tail light assembly replaced and also i have bought air compressor for my friend's Sierra from Chor Bazaar. But it was not that great(though Sierra Aircon Compressors are not that great). We have added an extra blower for it and i guess you can try checking for Safari compressor in it. It might work out with some extra modifications. @Gurus pls advice.

Most Viewed