Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 18:03   #151
BHPian

This would now increase the car prices in Karnataka. Thats really bad. Car prices are increasing very fast.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:48   #152
BHPian

guys, has anyone enquired if the RTO accepts tax for 1 year - considering that the person is here for more than 3 months but less than a year ?

This form http://rto.kar.nic.in/kmvt-14.pdf has got the fields for duration , hence was wondering .
Old 26th December 2008, 18:51   #153
Senior - BHPian

If govt authorities use it for good purpose (like construction of flyovers/widening of roads etc), then it is worth collecting the tax. Otherwise, if it goes into pockets of some politicians/babus account, then it will be a pain for the tax payers.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:55   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
guys, has anyone enquired if the RTO accepts tax for 1 year - considering that the person is here for more than 3 months but less than a year ?

This form http://rto.kar.nic.in/kmvt-14.pdf has got the fields for duration , hence was wondering .
well from what I have heard from a couple of friends, one can pay road tax for a year and get a NOC for 12 months but after that period registration has to be done with lifetime tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
okay so in my case I dont think I shall be here for more than 12 months, so that should do for me any idea on what exactly needs to be done
we are on the same boat my friend. Need to go to the RTO and check . If u happen to do that before me let me know too

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th December 2008 at 19:06.
Old 26th December 2008, 19:02   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
well from what I have heard from a couple of friends, one can pay road tax for a year and get a NOC for 12 months but after that period registration has to be done with lifetime tax.
okay so in my case I dont think I shall be here for more than 12 months, so that should do for me any idea on what exactly needs to be done
Old 26th December 2008, 19:36   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Bangalore Mirror - Crackdown on non-Karnataka vehicles, News - City,Bangalore Mirror=

Once they pay the tax, refund is allowed at the time of taking the vehicle back to the concerned state. No refund will be made if the tax is collected during a drive.”
Is this legal? Don't think the MV Act/Rules specify the same. MV tax is ALWAYS eligible for refund whether paid voluntarily or due to a RTO crackdown.

A silver lining could be a more transparent and faster refund process. Once people start paying up and later claiming refund (when moving out of KA), hopefully the RTO will streamline refunds!
Old 30th December 2008, 19:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Guys, has anyone paid the tax till now? Would like to hear from you and get an idea regarding the money I would need to shell out. I have a 3.5 years old Ford Ikon Flair.

Edit: Just called the RTO Indiranagar. The lady I spoke to says I need to have the NOC from the HR RTO to pay tax. Should I just follow the instructions given here: http://rto.kar.nic.in/faq1.htm ?
Is the NOC really required?
I just payed my road tax in Bangalore at the JayaNagar RTO (after driving in KA for a year and half). I was robbed of 31K odd Rs. for my 2001 Zen. I did not have a NOC from Maharashtra or even the original invoice and was never asked for the same. But I went through an agent, probably that made the difference.

According to me, the NOC is required only if you are changng to a KA registration. For paying the road tax, the NOC is not required.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:26   #158
BHPian

Its a good time for the Broker too. We in Bangalorean paying one of the highest tax in the country But using a non-standard road facility in the country. KA administration found one more way to generate money.
Old 31st December 2008, 01:15   #159
Senior - BHPian

I paid 2600 to an agent to get life time tax paid for my 2000 model Kerala registered bike.
I decided to go to the agent after seeing a guy being questioned by the RTO at the RTO office after going through the vehicle invoice and NOC. The NOC that was 2 year old was not acceptable for the RTO.
Old 31st December 2008, 15:37   #160
Senior - BHPian

Payed Rs9000 to change MH to KA- Honda Unicorn Bike

I have payed Rs 9000 (1200 for NOC (broker) + 5500 KA Tax (@ 13% of the new vehicle +1000 Brokerage + 1500 for re registering to KA number)
These taxes are killing the common man ...

Lesson learnt - No body should bring outside KA registered vehicles to Karnataka specially Bangalore ...
Old 31st December 2008, 18:23   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Lesson learnt - No body should bring outside KA registered vehicles to Karnataka specially Bangalore ...
You are still better off if you are in Bangalore because -
a) If you take your vehicle out only during rush hours, the chances of cops stopping you become negligible as it would mean holding up all cars behind you in a snail slow traffic on narrow roads thereby, contributing further to the mess
b) With so many non-KA registered vehicles, you have a higher probability of mixing in the crowd which might not be the case if you are in a city other than Bangalore.

Trust me, it is Bangalore only (in the entire state) where you could drive a non-KA vehicle with some confidence. Other cities/towns, such vehicles stick out like a sore thumb
Old 31st December 2008, 19:58   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Trust me, it is Bangalore only (in the entire state) where you could drive a non-KA vehicle with some confidence. Other cities/towns, such vehicles stick out like a sore thumb
Don't be so sure. I have been driving my TN-57 Jeep everywhere except Bangalore since May 2008. Not once have I been questioned about it. Many times cops have stopped me in routine checks to ask to where I am going and have noted down the reg number. But they have never made an issue of TN number. It is the Bangalore cops that usually make an issue of it.
Old 31st December 2008, 20:16   #163
Senior - BHPian

TSK also has not faced such problems in Delhi/ NCR driving his KA registered Indica.

Why should the common man pay taxes in all the states he/she stays during his lifetime with the same vehicle. The govt should have a system of credit/ debit of refunds from between states and only the differences should be collected.

When they can automate the income tax collection system and outsource it, why not the RTO's.
Old 31st December 2008, 21:00   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Many times cops have stopped me in routine checks to ask to where I am going and have noted down the reg number. But they have never made an issue of TN number. It is the Bangalore cops that usually make an issue of it.
Hmm... on a hindsight, methinks probably it is the language of communication which could have contributed you to being lucky (assuming you are fluent with the local language/cops' language)

I can not even imagine being stopped by thullas who are virtually incommunicando with me since I, an alleged offender in their eyes, is not speaking in the local language. All I could think of in this situation would be - our Father who art in heaven....

Don't have any statistics to back me up, but my observation and personal experience is that cops here in KA more frequently stop vehicles (and are beyond any reasoning) which bear a registration number other than KA, TN, KL, PY and AP.

I drove my KA03 car in Delhi for more than a year (2005-2006) and not even once was I stopped for this reason..
I rode my UP78 bike in Bangalore (1994-95) and was stopped and fined (read greased palms) on so many occasions that I don't even remember the count now. Please bear in mind that this was a time when there were probably 30% of the vehicles on BLR roads as of today.. and that my kannada skills then were (and still are) like dancing with 2 left legs ;-)

PS - No flames please since my intention is not to bring in any kind of regional divide on this forum
Old 1st January 2009, 19:49   #165
Senior - BHPian

aloksriva cops dont stop kl tn ap reg vehicles because those states are the bordering states you need very little time to touch kl ap tn etc so they assume that the vehicle has come into Karnataka recently they also are most probly aware of the 1 year duration for which a vehicle can stay in another state..
the only solution to this problem is nationalised taxes now soon other states will follow in karnataka's foot steps and create problem for Ka vehicles in other states
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks