Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 13:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Samarth, there is a BangaloreOne on the old Airport road.
If you are looking for the indranagar RTO, its parallel to CMH road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its an integrated payment collection/ services kiosk for many services

Bangalore One RTO services

Bangalore One centres
Thanks Benny. Should be able to find my way to the Bangalore One center now.

Thanks Dadu, seems like a helpful initiative. I hope it is the way it seems.

Does anyone know the depreciation that is calculated on the age of the car? Or do they charge road tax as a flat rate irrespective of the age?
Old 11th December 2008, 13:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Benny. Should be able to find my way to the Bangalore One center now.

Thanks Dadu, seems like a helpful initiative. I hope it is the way it seems.

Does anyone know the depreciation that is calculated on the age of the car? Or do they charge road tax as a flat rate irrespective of the age?

They charge as per the invoice of the car.On road price
Old 11th December 2008, 13:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
On Road price ? which is anyways the highest in Karnataka so is it essentially tax on tax ? Jeez :(
Thanks binoy,
Old 11th December 2008, 13:23   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
No, it is on ex-showroom price. The on-road price is inclusive of road tax.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:25   #35
BHPian

I feel HYD cops/RTO are more considerate than the ones in Bangalore. I have been driving my Esteem its KA number for the last one year, but was stopped only once by an RTO. Told him I have been here only 3 months. He let me go, but before leaving I asked him the procedure. He was sweet enough to explain the details, but never confirmed them.

1. LT will be based on the age of the vehicle deprecistion and the invoice cost.
2. Road Tax is all which is needed for running the vehicle in a different state, no need for NOC
3. Apparently the LT is lesser in surronding district(whatever that means).
4. The RTO Inspector gives a challan when you are stopped. the same receipt can be used to pay the tax at the RTO. I think you can pay him a little extra and get a discount right there.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have always had an AP registration bike and a KL regn car. I have used them extensively everywhere.... I have NEVER been caught even once in my 8 years in Blr... Well I have been caught - but I have NEVER had to pay!

Secondly the law clearly states that onus of proof in this case is with the cops - it is they who need to prove that the car has been in the state CONTINUOUSLY for the last 6 months. And get even one petrol bill from Hosur (or any other state - and TN is the closest from Bangy) with any date on it and you can drive - AND PROVE - that 'the car' just came into Bangy. There is nothing in the book that prevents it being brought into the state multiple times in a year... the catch here is it needs to be proven that it was being driven on KArnataka roads " CONTINOUSLY for preceding 6 months " - impossible to prove. Just stick to your guns and tells them hawks you know the rules too - they have always let me go!

Lastly - please ALWAYS get your PUC done from outside Karnataka State - And also get your Insurance renewed in the state of the registration - that really helps! (I bought the car in Cochin - My insurance is also bought from the Cochin branch of the insurance company)

EDIT: All you out-of-towners can plan a drive to Krishnagiri once every six months! The toll receipts are absolutely irrefutable! (make sure you bypass the toll station on the way out - so that they only have a record of you coming in!)

Last edited by kb100 : 11th December 2008 at 13:36.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
We are paying road tax in a state for 10/15/20 years , and we end up paying tax in another state for the same vehicle . We have to approach courts in this nation to finish this menace once and for all . As a forum of vehicle owners and enthusiasts we have the right and resources to do so . Nothing is being done by bodies like AAI .
Aren't there any advocate BHPians in this forum. I think the best way is to file a Public Interest Petition in HighCourt/Supreme court... The irony in motor vehicles rule in our country is that, though it is called Central Motor vehicle Rule, each state makes it their own stuff...
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 13:46   #38
NitinGirish

@bensb29

That is because the way our country is organized as a 'predominantly federal government but of unitary character' (or some such thing, dont remember the verbatim now). Which means, we are neither federal completely like US or completely unitary like UK. So, what can be taxed (technically Central List, State List & Concurrent List) is split between union & state government.

Now, why would state governments give up their rights to tax certain things? Especially so when politicians can easily pocket it.

Completely share your frustration though. It is really irritating to pay taxes and go through all these formalities in numerous places

Old 11th December 2008, 13:52   #39
BHPian

Recently I was caught by RTO for non Karnataka Reg vehicle.
Didnt have any option. They caught me on mysore road (not on main road though.) I had turned to my office road + I had my office badge on my neck. Pretty cleaver these guys. They stood on the road, where it was obvious that I had taken the turn to go to the office.

Mine had completed 4+ years and going on 5th year.
Fortunately, I didnt have invoice value.
So they called up the dealer and got the price as < 5 Lakhs. (Mine is an Accent CRDi) . They must have asked the dealer about the Accent price and Dealer gave them the Accent GLS price.
Still I had to pay 75% (depreciated value) of 13.2% of Invoice value.
Came to around 50k.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinGirish View Post
Completely share your frustration though. It is really irritating to pay taxes and go through all these formalities in numerous places
Well,I know we can write pages talking about this and cursing the so-called rulers. Can't we take some initiative to do away with this. I am sure, the generation down the line will always remember us for this one good thing that we have done.. Any takers for starting some action on this line ?
Old 11th December 2008, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, it is on ex-showroom price. The on-road price is inclusive of road tax.
no its not.this is for sure.my friend got fined 3 days back and he said its the on road price
Old 11th December 2008, 14:20   #42
BHPian

My cousin is using a Kerala regd car and bike and he is planning to be here in Bangalore for another 2 years.Is it possible to pay road tax(karnataka) for only 2 years.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
My cousin is using a Kerala regd car and bike and he is planning to be here in Bangalore for another 2 years.Is it possible to pay road tax(karnataka) for only 2 years.
If he is in some central govt job, he can drive his car with no issues. Other wise, I don't think you have the option of paying tax for 2 yrs or for that matter for any period other than the life time tax..

But, I have seen posts in this forum where in some one has mentioned that there is an option but normally the RTO people won't let you use that.. Needs clarification on this point.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:52   #44
BHPian

Hi,

how would you do it in your car?

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
EDIT: All you out-of-towners can plan a drive to Krishnagiri once every six months! The toll receipts are absolutely irrefutable! (make sure you bypass the toll station on the way out - so that they only have a record of you coming in!)
Old 11th December 2008, 14:56   #45
Team-BHP Support

I think its quite deplorable that people are using this forum to find out ways to beat the law.

Please follow the law.
Simply finding ways to beat it to avoid paying TAX is not correct.

Do keep those toll tax receipts and petrol pump bills etc for the first 6 months.
But if you know that your stay is longer than that period.
THEN GO AND PAY THE TAX.

Not because you will avoid the cops but because its the RIGHT THING TO DO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed