Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 15:04   #46
BANNED

Just to clarify, my query is for my bike, which I will be bringing to Bangalore next month. No point in re-registering a 12 year old bike in KA - might consider it after the current RC expires (Feb 2012). Want to use it here without worries. For my other vehicles, I am following the law without any worries.

kb100 - yes, it is that minute point you mentioned that is the key.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:37   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think its quite deplorable that people are using this forum to find out ways to beat the law.
No one is using the forum to break rules. Its more a question of playing within the rules, and i have no qualms saying that.

We havent bought our vehicles by evading tax. After paying tax in full, i certainly dont believe in paying it yet again, all thanks to some red-tapism thats involved. I still believe this is one country, and i have my freedom to be where i choose.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

bblost,

that's a nice speech. However, what RTOs forget is that jobs are NOT for life, why should a person whose spent a few months have to pay full road tax. refunds from original place ofcourse take forever and a half.

A friend paid 57k for his 2.75 year old UP16 Esteem within a month of moving to BLR because of such fools - because his wife was pregnant with regular doc visits needed. Its another thing that within the year, he moved on from the job. But, I guess, that's for a different speech. I'm not feeling self righteous enough at the moment.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
However, what RTOs forget is that jobs are NOT for life, why should a person whose spent a few months have to pay full road tax. refunds from original place ofcourse take forever and a half.
The RTO did not make the rules. They are only implementing the same.

We need a national tax system.
People buying a car should be able to get an IN number.
Maybe it costs a little more than a state number. But this option should be made available to everyone.

How do we get the law makers to do this.

Lets work on finding a solution.
Rather than letting the law make a criminal out of us.

I am not trying to be self righteous or anything like that.
Its just that I hate these laws, which make ordinary hard working people break the law.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:19   #50
BHPian

Bro!

I have paid over a lakh as the life time road tax for my vehicle when I bought it.

I am not going to stay in Karnataka forever! According to the RTO I will have to shell out close to 66,000 as the road tax!!

My question is, how do I get back the money I already paid!!

No one wants to go against the law, but this red tapism and the corrupt ppl we have in our govt. leaves small ppl like me with no choice!

cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think its quite deplorable that people are using this forum to find out ways to beat the law.

Please follow the law.
Simply finding ways to beat it to avoid paying TAX is not correct.

Do keep those toll tax receipts and petrol pump bills etc for the first 6 months.
But if you know that your stay is longer than that period.
THEN GO AND PAY THE TAX.

Not because you will avoid the cops but because its the RIGHT THING TO DO.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

For people who are trying to unify the country, there are rules in the U.S where you need to change the state plates when you move and some suburbs/localities charge you a extra fee for the sticker you need to put on the car once you move into that locality.
You want everyone else in this country to do their job so that you are secure and now you complain.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

I would like to understand this as am kinda confused. Supposingly if a guy like me comes to Bangalore for a job for say 2-3 months and bring my car along which has a Delhi registration number will i be fined as well?
Old 11th December 2008, 17:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I would like to understand this as am kinda confused. Supposingly if a guy like me comes to Bangalore for a job for say 2-3 months and bring my car along which has a Delhi registration number will i be fined as well?
Hi Harry not for the first 6 months, (if you have the proof of entry) well maybe, if the cop is adament on meeting his pocket money charges, but not as per the law. After that, yes.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
For people who are trying to unify the country, there are rules in the U.S where you need to change the state plates when you move and some suburbs/localities charge you a extra fee for the sticker you need to put on the car once you move into that locality.
You want everyone else in this country to do their job so that you are secure and now you complain.
Unfortunately, the real issue here is a lot more complex than that, although it sounds quite simple. Had there been a provision to pay the tax for a limited period in the new location of stay, i would not have had an issue with it. That one needs to pay this in full (life-tax), and then apply for a refund from the previous RTO, that too while one isnt staying there anymore, isnt really as simple as getting a new sticker in the new place you reside.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:03   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
no its not.this is for sure.my friend got fined 3 days back and he said its the on road price
Nope, he got cheated then.

Ex-showroom price = invoice price = factory price + VAT
On road price = Ex-showroom price + road tax + other misc tax + insurance.

I recently paid road tax on the Jeep based on the 1998 invoice price of CL-340.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nope, the exact numbers are calculated here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post980974

Vehicles costing below 5 lakhs: 12% (13.2% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing between 5-10 lakhs: 13% (14.3% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing above 10 lakhs: 16% (17.6% after adding municipality tax)
That's true. The worst increase made in one year by a karnataka state govt.

Since, you'll pay the road tax after bringing in out-of-state registered car, here are two more important things:
* If your car is < 18months old, you have to pay 12% Sales Tax/VAT even though you already paid the same VAT where you bought it This is separate from Road Tax

* Depending on the age of your car at the time of re-registration, you need to pay pro-rated value of the road tax. There are slabs defined for it.

* At the original place of registration, you can claim refund against another pro-rated slab depending on how many years the car was registered and used in that state. This used to be quite difficult to obtain in some states etc.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi,

how would you do it in your car?

Cheers
Shrey
Very Easy... Just hop off the freeway/highway at the village/town before the toll-gate and use the interior roads to get to Krishnagiri town. Then rejoin the highway, pay the toll and drive back. They just cant do a thing and it will hold in a court of law!

I am very clear - I have paid life time tax once. I was in a transferable job (bank) which saw me being shunted from state to state every year or two. If I had to be paying all these taxes each time I would have ended up paying as much as - if not more than what the vehicles costed me in the first place! And who will pick up the tab? If they want me to pay, they should first enable across-the-counter refunds. Till then they are NOT getting any more of my money!(sorry bblost - the solution is not in our hands - unless you want to try filing a public interest litigation - You'll have my support!)

Remember the law - the cops have to prove THE PARTICULAR VEHICLE was being used for more 6 continuous months on State roads - and not that you are working or residing in Bangalore! Just because you stay or work in Blr does not mean you cannot own a car elsewhere (say in your home town as in my case) and drive it all over India!! There are enough High Court judgements you can quote - except how many of the general populace know about it!?

Lastly remember one thing - NO COP/RTO wants to go to court either - opportunity cost ! So so long as you don't tickle his ego you'd get let off.

A lifetime spent dodging this rule - anyone wanting tips ... PM me

Last edited by kb100 : 11th December 2008 at 20:05.
Old 11th December 2008, 21:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

KB100 & Other gurus who read the LAW - please assist in understanding this data.

Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 Section 47

Section 47

47. Assignment of new registration mark on removal to another State.

(1) When a motor vehicle registered in one State has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority:

Provided that an application under this sub-section shall be accompanied-

(i) by the no objection certificate obtained under section 48, or

(ii) in a case where no such certificate has been obtained, by-

(a) the receipt obtained under sub-section (2) of section 48; or

(b) the postal acknowledgment received by the owner of the vehicle if he has sent an application in this behalf by registered post acknowledgment due to the registering authority referred to in section 48,

together with a declaration that he has not received any communication from such authority refusing to grant such certificate or requiring him to comply with any direction subject to which such certificate may be granted:

Provided further that, in a case where a motor vehicle is held under a hire-purchase, lease or hypothecation agreement, an application under this subsection shall be accompanied by a no objection certificate from the person with whom such agreement has been entered into, and the provisions of section 51, so far as may be, regarding obtaining of such certificate from the person with whom such agreement has been entered into, shall apply.

(2) The registering authority, to which application is made under sub-section (1), shall after making such verification, as it thinks fit, of the returns, if any, received under section 62, assign the vehicle a registration mark as specified in sub-section (6) of section 41 to be displayed and shown thereafter on the vehicle and shall enter the mark upon the certificate of registration before returning it to the applicant and shall, in communication with the registering authority by whom the vehicle was previously registered, arrange for the transfer of the registration of the vehicle from the records of that registering authority to its own records.

(3) Where a motor vehicle is held under a hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement, the registering authority shall, after assigning the vehicle a registration mark under sub-section (2), inform the person whose name has been specified in the certificate of registration as the person with whom the registered owner has entered into the hire-purchase or lease or hypothecation agreement (by sending to such person a notice by registered post acknowledgment due at the address of such person entered in the certificate of registration the fact of assignment of the said registration mark).

(4) A State Government may make rules under section 65 requiring the owner of a motor vehicle not registered within the State, which is brought into or is for the time being in the State, to furnish to the prescribed authority in the State such information with respect to the motor vehicle and its registration as may be prescribed.

(5) If the owner fails to make an application under sub-section (1) within the period prescribed, the registering authority may, having regard to the circumstances of the case, require the owner to pay, in lieu of any action that may be taken against him under section 177, such amount not exceeding one hundred rupees as may be prescribed under sub-section (7):

Provided that action under section 177 shall be taken against the owner where the owner fails to pay the said amount.

(6) Where the owner has paid the amount under sub-section (5), no action shall be taken against him under section 177.

(7) For the purposes of sub-section (5), the State Government may prescribe different amounts having regard to the period of delay on the part of the owner in making an application under sub-section (1).
Old 11th December 2008, 22:16   #59
BANNED

svsantosh, I'm no guru but read such laws keenly.

The key word in the above is "kept" - this is exactly what kb100 has pointed out as "used continuously" in another state.

Now, in your own case (as pointed out by me in another thread), you are not breaking any law of the land since you are travelling from your registered residence to another state on a regular basis. It could be daily or weekly or monthly - but the point is that your vehicle (or mine, for that matter) is not "kept" or "continuously used" in another state for 6 / 12 months.
Old 11th December 2008, 22:22   #60
BHPian

Generally in the US, there is a credit for tax paid in previous state, if tax rate is higher in previous state, no tax is due otherwise pay the difference.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks