Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached.html)

Dear All TEAM-BHPns

RTO did start fining for cars running in karnataka with other state number plates.
If u have the original RC book then they will take it or else they will take the car.
RC book or car will be given back only if u pay the tax.

Tax amount which you have to pay 13.5% of the total invoice amount of the car and that will be something you will never want to pay.:)

One of my friend was caught few days back and he was asked to pay 72k.i thought this information will be quite helpful to those who have not yet paid the road tax.

By chance if you are caught tell them u came here few days back and you will be going back very soon.

Regards
Binoy

13.5%??? Thats too much! I thought it was 10% or so (its 6% in Kerala)

Quote:

Originally Posted by binoyb22 (Post 1088287)
By chance if you are caught tell them u came here few days back and you will be going back very soon.

It depends on the guy who catch you :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1088320)

Well, this is the reason cars in Bangalore/Karnataka are probably more expensive than any other place in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1088335)
It depends on the guy who catch you :)

they are not dump to leave you like that.They will ask for some kind of evidence like petrol bills or toll fee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by binoyb22 (Post 1088366)
they are not dump to leave you like that.They will ask for some kind of evidence like petrol bills or toll fee.

That is what I meant. Also, with the ever increasing of bangaloreans crossing the border almost every weekend, they also know how good a toll receipt. Same with petrol bills.

I am not sure how you prove them otherwise, especially people going to office take almost same route everyday and cops can certainly remember atleast some of them.

hmm, guess some bills will have to be gathered to take care of this. I just dont understand why the KA govt. is hell bent on fleecing everyone . The tax here on everything is the highest in the country and the facilities leave a lot to be questioned.
> Please dont start the Local Vs Outsiders debate, everyone has to pay the same taes and bear the same facilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1088320)

Nope, the exact numbers are calculated here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post980974

Vehicles costing below 5 lakhs: 12% (13.2% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing between 5-10 lakhs: 13% (14.3% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing above 10 lakhs: 16% (17.6% after adding municipality tax)

Can someone please outline the procedure to pay KA road tax while retaining a TN registration? If such a provision exists?

^^There's also some clause about floor size of the car. If its more than 5 sq mtrs, its automatically classified into the third category irrespective of price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1088408)
Can someone please outline the procedure to pay KA road tax while retaining a TN registration? If such a provision exists?

Here ya go:
Procedure for Re-registration

All the best.

The above link is for re registration, but the rto website should be having info on paying just the tax.
Organisation Chart
Scroll down to section 3

Quote:

Easy, you can retain TN plates after paying Karnataka road tax. I am currently in that status, I have to separately apply for Karnataka plates after 3 months.

Quote:

yes. It just needs a challan saying you are booked for driving other state vehicle in KA without tax :)

For my 2 wheeler I just did this...

I went to Indira Nagar RTO, met the inspector there and told him I want to pay tax. He gave me the challan, I show this and paid the amout in the counter over there. Its done.

When I approached the same counter for paying tax, he just said he cannot accept any tax without NOC. So, the same guy after seeing this challan gave a smile and that one smile made me understand that this is normal procedure. :D

Hi,

Karnataka is the most liberal state when it comes to paying road taxes! You can pay road tax even without an NOC from your original state. You can pay road tax for Karnataka while retaining your TN registration. As long you show that you have paid road tax, they cannot hassle you.

I paid Karnataka road tax without an NOC from Maharashtra while I had a brief stint in Bangalore for 2 years. (BTW, in Maharashtra, you cannot pay road taxes without an NOC from the other state.)

Caveat: Be sure to check with RTO rules/contact an agent before you heed my advise.

Note: Probably as mjothi said, you need a challan before paying road tax. I was caught and got a challan.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:

This has been happening since quite some time now. One month back, one of my colleagues with TN registraion Santro was caught and RTO seized his vehicle. He had to pay 52K to get the vehicle released. They have given him the reciept for that asked him to go to TN and reclaim the tax paid over there. I dont know how feasible is that.