Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2005, 13:17   #31
BHPian

[quote=Samurai]But what about same state registration car from a different RTO? QUOTE]

I had checked this some time back.. In Karnataka it is legal to drive any KA registered vehicle.. the road tax is the same across the state (atleast, I have been told so).. any other state vehicle has to be registered in KA within 30 days.. there is also a scheme for temporary transfers, where they let you keep your other state number, but you have to pay road tax here.. dont know much details on this..
Old 18th April 2005, 13:40   #32
BHPian

Me thinking of buying a 2nd car from b'lore to use as daily drive. Don't want to pay 19k upwards for my car or get it re-registered. I am emotionally attacked to the present registration number thatz why

Besides i am not sure how long i am going to be in blore also.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:54   #33
BHPian

Since this thread is about re-registrations I thought of posting my question here -

I recently relocated from NOIDA to Hyderabad, I am planning to get my car here but it has a UP registration, is anyone here aware of the Andhra Pradesh road tax rules, because someone told me that I can pay the tax for 1-2 years (since I do not intend to stay any longer) and drive the vehicle here. This will save me from the hassles of getting my vehicle transferred.
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
...I am planning to get my car here but it has a UP registration, is anyone here aware of the Andhra Pradesh road tax rules, because someone told me that I can pay the tax for 1-2 years (since I do not intend to stay any longer) and drive the vehicle here. This will save me from the hassles of getting my vehicle transferred.
AFAIK, you can do this, provided you can prove that you will be stationed temporarly in the state for a limited period. A letter from your company stating that you have a transferable job and your job location will change would suffice.

With this you can just pay the yearly road tax and drive, without having to pay the LTT.

I have not done this, but this is what I got to know when I was looking at the same scenario, 3 years back.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
AFAIK, you can do this, provided you can prove that you will be stationed temporarly in the state for a limited period. A letter from your company stating that you have a transferable job and your job location will change would suffice.

With this you can just pay the yearly road tax and drive, without having to pay the LTT.

I have not done this, but this is what I got to know when I was looking at the same scenario, 3 years back.
Thanks for the reply, but in my case I have joined a new company and its upto me how long I have to stay, my plan is not to stay more than 2 years so the company will not provide any letter for this, what I am looking for is something like "pay-as-you-go" i.e. I pay 1/2 year tax now and pay again if I intend to stay, is there anything like this ?
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

There is a provision of paying quarterly tax (every 3 months). But I am sure the RTO's will not give you that option unless you get a letter from the company. You have to pay life tax in AP and get the refund from UP RTO.

I had a really long struggle when my company sent me for 2 months to Hyderabad and the RTO caught me with my TN registered car. Initially, Even highway toll receipts and letters from the company on company letter head proving my entry and exit date from AP did not work. Then I complained to the Secretary, Transport department and the RTO immediately obliged with a quartely tax payment option.

PS: If you work in Gachibowli, its just a matter of time before the RTO catches you

Last edited by spadival : 23rd September 2008 at 12:53.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
... so the company will not provide any letter for this, what I am looking for is something like "pay-as-you-go" i.e. I pay 1/2 year tax now and pay again if I intend to stay, is there anything like this ?
You can request your company HR to issue a letter to this effect; some companies, even though the job will not involve transfers, still give out this kind of letter. Since there is no cost involved and if the employee is able to save some tax, it ends well. But then agains, it is dependant on the company policy and the way they treate such requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
There is a provision of paying quarterly tax (every 3 months). But I am sure the RTO's will not give you that option unless you get a letter from the company. You have to pay life tax in AP and get the refund from UP RTO...
If you have documents to prove that you just drove into the state, you can ride for sometime. I guess the legal limit is 6 months before paying tax.
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If you have documents to prove that you just drove into the state, you can ride for sometime. I guess the legal limit is 6 months before paying tax.
In India, the law is an a.s.s. Its not what is written/passed in the Parliament, that is the law. Whatever the RTO chap comes up with, is the law. Unless of course, you are a big shot or complain to a big shot.. Then RTO forgets everything about the legal points he has made against you.
Old 21st June 2009, 21:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
if you are a student who has moved from home state to a new state fro educatio he need NOT pay any road tax as long as he is studying in the state.he needs to show a valid college i.d.
know this cbecause was proud owner of a kerala registered rd350 for over a year. they dint say anything once you showed that yuo were studying here and were from kerala.
Does this still work ? Has anyone got away with it recently? Can you please guide me to the RTO rule regarding this ?
I am thinking of buying a used car from delhi and use it in karnataka while i study there but i am originally from AP (DL is from AP). Will this pose any problems ?
Old 23rd June 2009, 07:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Does this still work ? Has anyone got away with it recently? Can you please guide me to the RTO rule regarding this ?
I am thinking of buying a used car from delhi and use it in karnataka while i study there but i am originally from AP (DL is from AP). Will this pose any problems ?
BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:51   #41
BHPian

It is certainly Illegal to drive other state cars for more than a period of 30 days after which you are liable to transfer registration. It is a different thing that most cops do nothing about the situation. RJ/HR/UP cars are common in Delhi while mumbai has its fair share of GJ/RJ/MP cars.

In event of check, a cop may ask you to show car service history which is a giveaway. Also, if you forgot to remove the sticker of local A.S.S, then you are in trouble. Additionally, I have always found other state cars to be more vulnerable to cops, i.e. on traffic lights, etc. Cops tend to target cars from other state.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Non Euro IV two wheeler

I have moved from Hyderabad to Bangalore couple of months back and I have a querry regarding re- registering my active scooter in bangalore. Since the bike is two years old its Euro III compliant (and not Euro IV) so after getting life tax payment in bangalore will it be possible to get it registered in bangalore with new number ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks