Team-BHP - Regarding registration law
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Regarding registration law (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5054-regarding-registration-law.html)

Hi guys,
I see a lot of cars sporting registeration numbers of other states. Is this legal? I heard that there is a 30 day limit. What if i commute from one state to other daily. Also maybe delhi people can help here, if i drive a Karnataka Registeration car in delhi, is the delhi police as zealous as the karnataka police is about cars from other states? In case i have to get a delhi registeration, then will i get a refund from Karnataka govt of my road tax. Any of you got challaned in delhi for driving out of state car?

On a side note, can delhi police challan me while not bothering to stop HR/UP/RJ registeration vehicles as they are neighbouring states. Any law regarding neighbouring states

Really good question.

I really do not know about this issue - the legal aspects thereof.

But I think if you have an NOC from the RTO, then the registration is valid for a year. I might be mistaken.

Regarding the police, well they like to harass people. So if you have got into a spot of bother then it may be your bad day. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Really good question.
Regarding the police, well they like to harass people. So if you have got into a spot of bother then it may be your bad day. :(

I am wondering, if i tell the police that i stay in noida. So i cant get a delhi registeration and UP police is not bothered to take me to task :D. However this kind of harrassing i have seen in bangalore only. In delhi police rarely stop PB/HR/RJ/UP cars and ask for delhi reg.

One of my friend, with a Kerala registration was caught. When he indicated that he had come to Bangalore a few days back, they demanded a petrol bill which would prove the same.. so I guess when caught if you can say so and are able to prove, then legally they can't do anything, although they can always harass you... :mad:

In Delhi so many people commute between states (read Noida or Gurgaon or Faridabad to Delhi) that there is no point catching them by above law. Bangalore has no such luck... you do not daily commute between two states..

~maniac

I think there is a limit of 6 months. i.e after that you have to get a registration done in that state.
I have stayed in Punjab and Haryana for about a month, no one ever asked me about my Delhi Registration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK
I think there is a limit of 6 months. i.e after that you have to get a registration done in that state.
I have stayed in Punjab and Haryana for about a month, no one ever asked me about my Delhi Registration.

IN GURGAON

We got our Maharashtra registered Santro from Mumbai to Gurgaon and have been drving around for around 7 months now with no one even asking us anything.

IN MUMBAI

All the cars in the family have been registered in Thane while we live in Mumbai. The cops are doing rounds of buildings and checking registrations and catching those people who have registered outside Mumbai and are making them pay a fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanak
All the cars in the family have been registered in Thane while we live in Mumbai. The cops are doing rounds of buildings and checking registrations and catching those people who have registered outside Mumbai and are making them pay a fine.

Why is that a problem. You mean non-Mumbai registration cars can't be owned by Mumbai residents even if they are from the same state?

I have an Udupi registration car in Bangalore, cops have never bothered me. Is it because Karnataka has lifetime roadtax?

Hey we have a Thane registred palio but have had no problem what so ever.
The dude who got my Nexia(powerslave_77) is in Bangy and he is driving around in my car for the past couple of days with no NOC and RC book...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
Why is that a problem. You mean non-Mumbai registration cars can't be owned by Mumbai residents even if they are from the same state?

I have an Udupi registration car in Bangalore, cops have never bothered me. Is it because Karnataka has lifetime roadtax?

No dude. The thing is the dealers offer you the option of registering the car at Thane to save on the octroi which would have to paid if the car was sold in Mumbai. Therefore you show that you are from Thane and are buying the car there and avoid paying the octroi on goods entering Mumbai. The RTO have figured this out and have started coming to housing societies in Mumbai and pull up owners who have registered their cars in Thane. The RTO is asking for a fine of 10 times the amount that would have been paid as octroi. Im not too sure about this but I think that the road tax in Mumbai is also higher(or is it the same)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
In delhi police rarely stop PB/HR/RJ/UP cars and ask for delhi reg.

Well ,you are right ,i dont think there's any such problem in delhi as some of my friends are driving cars which are not delhi registered and i heaven't yet heard about any such thing but only if you obey rules and regulations(which no one does) :p

I know a couple of people who have thane registered cars and are living in mumbai so as to save on octroi and uptill today no one has troubled them but now as khanak said they might be taking action finally.

I guess they have to be a bit chilled cos Delhi is quite small and neighbouring states include Delhi's suburbs (NCR).

They came to my Uncle's housing society in Mankhurd first and then a couple of months later they were in Powai. I guess they will slowly go about it. Comming to the housing societies is such a smart plan though cos there is no way you can lie and say "Uhhh Mein toh Thane mein hi rehta hu. yahaa kuch kaam se aaya hu boss"
lol:

Is there a rule of some refund of road tax? If i get delhi registeration when i move from Bangalore to delhi, i guess i have to pay full road tax in delhi! But there's another problem. My car is Euro II, and delhi govt will register only Euro III!

as far as i know the registration laws are such:
if you have moved in from another state you have 30 days in which you have to pay the road tax of the state where you have moved to..there is no such rule that you HAVE to re-register in the state.
if you are a student who has moved from home state to a new state fro educatio he need NOT pay any road tax as long as he is studying in the state.he needs to show a valid college i.d.
know this cbecause was proud owner of a kerala registered rd350 for over a year. they dint say anything once you showed that yuo were studying here and were from kerala. ;)