Team-BHP - Why Gypsy costs 5 lakhs?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why Gypsy costs 5 lakhs? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50556-why-gypsy-costs-5-lakhs.html)

I have a question regarding the pricing policy of Maruti Gypsy:

Gypsy soft top costs around Rs 5 lakhs. Maruti Versa, having the same engine as Gypsy and having a solid body, costs around Rs 3.6 lakhs. I know Gypsy is having the 4-wheel option. But will it cost this much amount more (about Rs 1.4 lakhs)? Or this type of pricing is only to keep Gypsy as a premium vehicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 1090884)
....Gypsy soft top costs around Rs 5 lakhs. ...Or this type of pricing is only to keep Gypsy as a premium vehicle?

Sir IIRC, it is ~6L OTR in Chennai and 6.23L in Bangalore.

Maruti doesn't want to sell it so keeps this price as high as possible and does every thing possible so that folks don't buy it:D

manufacturing cost is expensive as it has body over ladder frame unlike other cars from maruti which has monocoque.
Its 4x4 drivetrain adds to the cost.

Would you apply the same logic to the Indica and Safari 4x4?

I think its more to do with what people are willing to pay.

Maruti anyway gets volumes for Gypsy from the defence forces. They are not really keen to sell it to individual customers. So why lower the price and . Also when there is no alternative for this vehicle from any other manufacturer ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 1090884)
I have a question regarding the pricing policy of Maruti Gypsy:

Gypsy soft top costs around Rs 5 lakhs. Maruti Versa, having the same engine as Gypsy and having a solid body, costs around Rs 3.6 lakhs. I know Gypsy is having the 4-wheel option. But will it cost this much amount more (about Rs 1.4 lakhs)? Or this type of pricing is only to keep Gypsy as a premium vehicle?

did you check out the weight. May be gypsy has more steel to it. Go for a test drive, you might find the difference. If you cant find the difference, then just buy the versa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1090950)
Sir IIRC, it is ~6L OTR in Chennai and 6.23L in Bangalore.

Maruti doesn't want to sell it so keeps this price as high as possible and does every thing possible so that folks don't buy it:D

100k in taxes ?? Ex-showroom in Maruti website is given as 5.13L

Most gypsy sales are to defence or police forces and as the money come out of Govt pocket no one complaints so company keep maximum profit.

You're comparing apples to oranges!

Gypsy is a dif car to drive and have fun altogether. And i agree with what others say about steel, etc. Even tires are bigger.

EDIT: the gauge of steel is much much more thicker in the gypsy compared to the versa which is a significant increase in price.

Add to it that no dealer is willing to sell a Gypsy as they have to service it, order and maintain spares etc.

I think the cost is due to the very limited numbers that it sells - there is little incentive for the company to price it aggressively. Gypsy has always been costly in the Maruti lineup.

My neighbour just bought a brand New Gypsy. Do you know, it is available only in white!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 1091472)
My neighbour just bought a brand New Gypsy. Do you know, it is available only in white!!!

That's so stupid... I think that maruti should start offering gypsy mods like mahindra did with classic... it'll revive sales.

Its a niche segment. Only enthusiasts go for a gypsy.

People (read aam janta) looking for utility will go elsewhere for diesel econo-UVs.

Maruti sell enough Gypsies to the government that it doesn't need to worry about the costs to keep it alive. Whatever it gets from private owners is just a bonus.

Also, Maruti's website says that it is offered in four colurs (Maruti Gypsy car: Specifications, Dimensions, Weight, Engine, Power Transmission, price).

We had a Gypsy MG 410 in the family. My late granddad bought it in October 1987 and it was quite a novelty then. He hated diesel jeeps and hence chose the Gypsy. On the road cost then was Rs 1,20,000. The Gypsy did wonderful service in Coorg for 19 years, covering 3,50,000 km in its lifetime, with about five clutch plate changes as it was used extensively in the estate and to lug coffee as well. The engine was never opened in all its life.

My uncle sold it last year for Rs 60,000, and bought a Mahindra Major. The Gypsy is still running somewhere in Somvarpet, in Coorg, now.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 1091472)

No they are available in other colors as well. The guy in chennai bought a hardtop that was metallic greyish blue!