Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 07:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
And the older Indica does? Dont think thats the reason
the older indica did have ABS/Airbags etc. Tata did say they were working on the same for the vista export model which was not ready yet
Old 18th December 2008, 08:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why these people uses "Third World Country" in each and every article that is meant or related to South West Asia?
Old 18th December 2008, 08:55   #18
BHPian

man....it feels like pride when u have two TATA cars at home..
Old 18th December 2008, 10:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, let's not get carried away with unbridled a patriotism towards Tata. They make good cars, but when you pit them against japanese and koreans, they fall short in various ways. Remember that abroad, indian companies compete on three things: Price, Price and Price again !!!

Have said it before and will say it again, Indian manufacturers are able to sell volumes due to the price advantage. If the safari and the Pajero 2.8 were priced the same, which one would you buy???
Old 18th December 2008, 10:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ouch that review hurts. Looks like they've slammed the entire range of Tata automobiles. Tough part is I dont think anyone can refute any of their observations. And quite honestly, none of this is new and surprising. We all know the shortcomings of these cars for quite some time now. Tata's have to simply pull up their socks, especially if they want to make a dent in the profitable European markets. Having said that, it does appear as if the premise of the article is basically flawed. They want to get an idea of how the Nano will perform, which is why they're doing all these tests on the Tata range. Why bother flying a Yank to Italy for this? Just fly him to India, and do a test drive on a NANO. Its already being reviewed by auto magazines here, so surely he could have managed a TD of the Nano itself, rather than on the dated Tata models. Its as if someone is testing a 10 year old Honda design to see how the latest design is going to be.

Thanks for the link Sidindica.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:33   #21
BANNED

Time will tell whether Tata Motors becomes a true global player in the auto world. For now, the proof is in the product, and the answer is no.

Like the last word of every article that sums it up. And well honestly they have called a spade a spade.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:37   #22
Team-BHP Support

IMO, the reviewers were quite fair in their rating.

While i appreciate TATA for getting to where they have, they need to up the game. We all know they are fast learners; which has even been mentioned by the reviewers in the article; and its just a matter of time, i feel.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Seems the Safari tested had stiffer suspension. Must have compromised for the sake of better handling?
Old 18th December 2008, 11:26   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The only way to strike a bolt of reality into the India manufacturers is to threaten them that the import duty wall the hide behind will be demolized in a few years and that will increase the sense of urgency when they cannot complete only on price.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering how this whole review thing worked.

Tata and their Italian distributor invite the Americans over to Italy (covering all expenses) to review their cars. And these guys come, review the cars, slam them all over the place and go back home.

If so, what is Tata or their distributor gaining from this whole exercise ? What was their motive behind this ? I just fail to understand the idea of the whole thing. Or is it that they were expecting the reviewers to write a favourable report on their cars ?
Old 18th December 2008, 12:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I am wondering how this whole review thing worked.

Tata and their Italian distributor invite the Americans over to Italy (covering all expenses) to review their cars. And these guys come, review the cars, slam them all over the place and go back home.

If so, what is Tata or their distributor gaining from this whole exercise ? What was their motive behind this ? I just fail to understand the idea of the whole thing. Or is it that they were expecting the reviewers to write a favourable report on their cars ?

To make Tata cars a global product.
More international sales - more diverse experience gained - better cars.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:32   #27
BHPian

I think its possible to find Indicas and indigos which are cheaper than the rest of the cars in europe, if you drive through any of the poorer localities, you'd find a good number of Indi(cars) and Atos' (santros) in these areas. however, the quality and fit and finish is totally unacceptable with the older cars having airbags bolted onto the dashboard, exposed. This kind of report again and again by the media (Earlier on BBC) needs some better cars from TATA.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Its a somewhat fair evaluation however i firmly believe with the Indica Vista, Indigo Vista and Tata Nano launches in 2009 in the european market this perception will change a lot as Vista is on a complete different platform and will provide safety features and Nano being the most economical one.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

i think the Vista launch is delayed abroad because of the LHD dashboard.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

It's funny that some if not a lot of our readers thought the article was paying glorious tributes to the Tata vehicles when in reality it was just the opposite !!

The Tatas lost whatever little reputation they had in England when they launched the Indica with Rover a few years ago. It was an unmitigated disaster. Lot of people think the same fate awaits the Jag and the LR but I don't think those apprehensions are valid. Because the Tatas may not know how to make a good car but they certainly know how to run a company well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks