Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which manufactuer has the best engineerd cars w.r.t the basic qualities listed below
Maruti Suzuki 800/Alto/A-STAR/Omni/Swift/Dzire/SX4/WagonREstilo/Grand Vitara/Gypsy/Versa 21 14.19%
Tata Indica Indica/Indigo/Vista/ XL/Marina/Safari/Sumo Grande 9 6.08%
Hidustan Motors Ambassador 1 0.68%
Mahindra Bolero/Scorpio 7 4.73%
Hyundai Santro Xing/Sonata/Getz Prime/i10/Accent/Verna 21 14.19%
Chevrolet Aveo/U-VA/Optra Magnum/SRV/Spark 8 5.41%
Fiat Palio Stile 21 14.19%
Ford Fusion/Ikon/Fiesta 8 5.41%
Honda Accord/City/Civic/CRV 68 45.95%
Mahindra Renault Logan 3 2.03%
Mitsubishi Cedia/Lancer 17 11.49%
Škoda Fabia/Laura/Octavia/Superb 30 20.27%
Toyota Camry/Corolla Altis/Innova 41 27.70%
Volswagen Jetta/Superb 22 14.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 17:01   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
The poll choices are flawed, can we just have the Brand names like: GM, Toyota, Honda, Fiat etc.
I don't think so. Just saying GM, Toyota .... will confuse everyone. This poll is only about the cars released in India. If Chevy has released an old model with poor engineering then why should people living in India vote it for superior technology?

@Speeding.
I just showed a proof that some European cars in India are outdated and they lack in some factors compared to the Americans.. Of course, I too know that European cars are advanced. But only the cars released in India matter.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Skoda and Honda as i feel they both are quiet good as per the parameters suggested in the thread.
Old 19th December 2008, 18:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

where did all the"built like a tank™" fiat fans go ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th December 2008 at 18:48.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:04   #19
BHPian

From personal experience I can say that most fun to drive character definitely is possessed by most Honda cars. However the build quality can be a little flimsy at times.

Skoda is the other manufacturer which stands out from the crowd for its exceptional build quality.

So for me its Honda and Skoda
Old 19th December 2008, 19:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

now, if its the manufacturer who offers best engineered cars among the list, i would go for: mahindra, hyundai, honda and toyota. of course, each car of each manufacturer serves the purpose it is built for. for example, i wont compare a scorpio with the accord.

as the title is now changed, the best engineered cars will be:
1) scorpio: rugged, reliable, good looks and great performance.
2) i10: plays the role of a city car extremely well.
3) all hondas: do i need to explain why?
4) innova: spacious, well executed and comfortable cabin, good ride quality and reliabilty.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:50   #21
BANNED

My vote goes to Honda, all their cars are well thought out & engineered, making them all top their segments. Honda is the most evolving & tech oriented company too & is setting standards/examples on the way.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have voted Maruti as I feel that considering all the points mentioned by the thread starter, Maruti products in each and every segment are probably the best. Thats just my opinion.
Here I would like to add that no manufacturer is perfect and each and every one has its own set of negative points. But just overall, Maruti offerings are better, specially when FE w.r.t. car size is considered. Neither are they overprices as many others.

PS: I have considered it segment wise. For eg. safety of Maruti 800 VS that of similar cars like Nano. Safety of SX4 VS safety of Verna, G3HC, etc.

I suggest that this poll should segment wise and not the entire range.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th December 2008 at 20:28.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2008, 20:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Honda for me. The day I did TD in 1998, I knew this is the car. That time, I had a Maruti 800 and the day came in 2003 when I bought a brand new O.Honda City.

And after driving if for 3 years, my confidence in Honda increased so much that I bought (booked) Civic the day it was launched.
Old 19th December 2008, 21:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

It's skoda and honda for me!
Old 20th December 2008, 00:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think this poll has such a wide scope that it tilts towards the maufacturers of higher end cars like the Accord/Laura/Camry/Civic/Jetta etc (What chance does a built to a price Maruti have before them?). For those cars the engineering that goes into making them has an effect on their premium pricing and it takes no champion to point them as being providers of best engineered cars from this group.

If well engineered affordable cars are to be counted, we should limit ourselves to the volume segment of the market, which spans till the C-segment entry level sedans.

If only the Linea was launched by this time!

Last edited by 1100D : 20th December 2008 at 00:14.
Old 20th December 2008, 06:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I think this poll has such a wide scope that it tilts towards the manufacturers of higher end cars like the Accord/Laura/Camry/Civic/Jetta etc (What chance does a built to a price Maruti have before them?). For those cars the engineering that goes into making them has an effect on their premium pricing and it takes no champion to point them as being providers of best engineered cars from this group.

If well engineered affordable cars are to be counted, we should limit ourselves to the volume segment of the market, which spans till the C-segment entry level sedans.

If only the Linea was launched by this time!
Actually not.
How can you say premium pricing? When we compare Suzuki's SX4/Grand vitara with Honda's city/CRV. Both are high end models which offer the best of the technology from their respective stable. Only because Honda is offering more, it is priced ahead of Maruti.

Speaking about Volume & affordability. The poll proves that HONDA & SKODA provide more VFM products than Maruti-Suzuki. Also Honda/Skoda beat VW proves the same fact. Be aware that, this is a multiple choice poll, so it does not stop anyone from voting for Suzuki & Honda at the same time.

SO, if Maruti-suzuki could do more engineering (Kizashi concept) and provide a better engineered and competitive product, then the votes will tilt towards maruti.

But, as of now. One should be happy that Maruti-suzuki is better than HM/chevrolette/renault/Tata/Mahindra/Ford in the Indian market.

PS:
This applies also when Suzuki 800/Alto is compared to Hyundai starting models like Santro Xing. Only if Suzuki gives a VFM product with proper engineer will it be able to beat the competitor i.e pricing cars like Estillo/wagonR well below the Santro pricing. Also this proves how 800/Alto have pulled down the standards in all segements, i.e VFM cars offered in all segments.

Last edited by ritz830 : 20th December 2008 at 06:14.
Old 20th December 2008, 06:25   #27
BHPian

Chevrolet is losing......

@1100D.
For that case, Even the Hyundai beats the Suzuki. The Volume of Sales which maruti-suzki enjoys is because the buyers option is restricted by their budget, which makes them go for maruti even though they know that Honda offers better VFM. But, the moment they have a bigger budget, then their option will shift to Honda.

Check out my previous post for a detailed answer.

Last edited by ritz830 : 20th December 2008 at 06:41.
Old 20th December 2008, 08:25   #28
BHPian

Voted for Palio.

For its pricing below are the points which I liked the most. My views are only in comparison with cars in the same segment since I haven't driven any above that.

1. Backlite switches including power window switches
2. Driver focused controls.
3. Ergonomics Ergonomics Ergonomics ... a lot of it.
4. You can't lock your key inside your car unless you have a key-less entry installed and placed your key outside the ignition switch
5. Ignition operated headlights
6. A separate Parking light position in the ignition key
7. Console - Though looks outdated does its job neat and clean. Love the green glow at night
8. Steering wheel - For the confidence it gives at high speeds.
9. Ground clearance
10. Double Barrel head lights - You get both High and Low beams when on High beam
11. Suspension - specifically when driving over those bad stretches

Last but not the least the famed Tank Build.

Below point could be a let down but I feel there would have been lot of R&D for this.
- 98PCD wheels. You can't source your favorite alloys, might be you wont end modifying suspension property's- a uniq touch.

Last edited by lightpower : 20th December 2008 at 08:27.
Old 20th December 2008, 10:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
Voted for Palio.

For its pricing below are the points which I liked the most. My views are only in comparison with cars in the same segment since I haven't driven any above that.

1. Backlite switches including power window switches
2. Driver focused controls.
3. Ergonomics Ergonomics Ergonomics ... a lot of it.
4. You can't lock your key inside your car unless you have a key-less entry installed and placed your key outside the ignition switch
5. Ignition operated headlights
6. A separate Parking light position in the ignition key
7. Console - Though looks outdated does its job neat and clean. Love the green glow at night
8. Steering wheel - For the confidence it gives at high speeds.
9. Ground clearance
10. Double Barrel head lights - You get both High and Low beams when on High beam
11. Suspension - specifically when driving over those bad stretches

Last but not the least the famed Tank Build.

Below point could be a let down but I feel there would have been lot of R&D for this.
- 98PCD wheels. You can't source your favorite alloys, might be you wont end modifying suspension property's- a uniq touch.
Coool. Thats is good engineering.

Hey, How do you advice a person who is confused between A-star Lxi and Palio SL (base version)?? Driving condition: 60% city, 40% highway.

Last edited by ritz830 : 20th December 2008 at 10:07.
Old 20th December 2008, 10:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised that Toyota is not 2nd.

I guess Merc/BMW/Audi should have also been included. They will trail behind Honda for sure :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks