Team-BHP - Skoda RS feedback
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Skoda RS feedback (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5094-skoda-rs-feedback.html)

Hi,

Had some feedback on my RS ownership during the last 6 months.

I've been reading the RS vs C Class poll (in the WHAT CAR forum)and wanted to respond to some queries raised there but cannot post there since I am a 'newbie' please: . (It will probably be a while before I hit 50 posts)

1. Turbo charger : The Turbo kicks in at 2000 RPM and the power surge is just thrilling.

2. 91 Octane vs 87 Octane : The Indian RS requires either 91 or 95 Octane. I recently switched from 87 to 91 and there is a very noticable difference in power. Not yet sure about any improvement in FE.

3. Value for Money : The RS has the SAME 20 Valve Turbo that powers the Audi TT which sells for Rs. 36 lakhs. Definately the RS is great value for money at under Rs. 14 lakhs.

4. Dealer experience : My experience with a particular Skoda dealer has been bad. I had to change the fuel filter at 3000 km since it was junked due to bad fuel. Firstly this dealer uses new cars for test drives . Secondly, when a warning light kept coming on every 600 km due to improper fuel intake even after 4 trips to their service station, they could not figure this out.

Viky

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_s
Hi,
1. Turbo charger : The Turbo kicks in at 2000 RPM and the power surge is just thrilling.

2. 91 Octane vs 87 Octane : The Indian RS requires either 91 or 95 Octane. I recently switched from 87 to 91 and there is a very noticable difference in power. Not yet sure about any improvement in FE.

3. Value for Money : The RS has the SAME 20 Valve Turbo that powers the Audi TT which sells for Rs. 36 lakhs. Definately the RS is great value for money at under Rs. 14 lakhs.

4. Dealer experience : My experience with a particular Skoda dealer has been bad. I had to change the fuel filter at 3000 km since it was junked due to bad fuel. Firstly this dealer uses new cars for test drives . Secondly, when a warning light kept coming on every 600 km due to improper fuel intake even after 4 trips to their service station, they could not figure this out.
Viky

i Feel the turbo kicks in after 3000 rpm

I have found Speed 93 to be the best fuel for the Vrs .

The Audi TT engine(BAM) is quite different from the indian Vrs's engine (AUM) .the stock TT engine produces 225bhp and has two intercoolers . TT also has a six speed gearbox and Quattro .

I agree with you on the service centre experience . The are not at all professionals and are running the place like a small time side buisness

Isnt there a 180 bhp version of the TT too? This is a detuned version of that engine.

AGU

Audi A3 1.8T, (all models?)
Skoda Octavia 1.8T FWD (Elegance, L&K), 10/96-8/00
Volkswagen Golf GTI, (dates?)

Output: 150 hp
Drive: FWD
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3
Throttle: cable
Injectors: small
Turbo: K03
Gearbox: EVS, EGY

APX

Audi TT, (dates?)

Output: 225 hp
Drive: Haldex 4WD
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3 (check)
Throttle: drive-by-wire
Injectors: big
Turbo: K04
Gearbox: ? (6-speed)

APY

Audi S3, (dates?)

Output: 210 hp
Emission: Non-VVT, EU3 (check)

AUM

Skoda Octavia 1.8T FWD (Elegance, L&K), 8/00-now
Volkswagen Bora 1.8T, (dates?)

Emission: VVT, EU4
Turbo: K03sport
Gearbox: EBN, ENJ, ESV, FDC

AUQ

Skoda Octavia RS, 8/00-now
Seat Leon 20VT Topsport

Output: 180 hp
Emission: VVT, EU4
Gearbox: EHA (Octavia RS, 5-speed, long gearing), ? (Leon Topsport, 6-speed)

ARX

Skoda Octavia 1.8T 4x4 Elegance, 8/00-now

Emission: VVT, EU3
Gearbox: FEX (5-speed, short gearing)

ARY

Seat Leon 20VT Cupra 4

Output: 180 hp
Emission: non-VVT, EU3
Gearbox: FHA, FEK (6-speed)

ARZ

Emission: non-VVT, EU3 (check)
Throttle: drive-by-wire (check)
Injectors: big (check)
Turbo: K03sport (check)
Gearbox: ? (5-speed)

AWT

Audi A4 1.8T (Quattro), (dates?)
Volkswagen Passat 1.8T, (dates?)

Drive: FWD or Torsen 4WD
Emission: VVT, EU4 (check)
Injectors: small (check)
Turbo: K03 (check)

AWU

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T

Injectors: small (check)
Turbo: K03 (check)

BAM

Audi S3, (dates?)
Audi TT, (dates?)

Output: 225 hp
Emission: VVT (check), EU3

BFB

Audi A4 1.8T (Quattro), ?03

Output: 163 hp
Drive: FWD or Torsen 4WD
Injectors: big (check)
Gearbox: ETT GDU (5-speed)

where did you get all this info from ??
please write the source .

Rev

this car is my personal favourite

Vikram, mad monkey can you guys put up a detailed report on the RS dude? like driving experience, maintenance and other stuff? how does 180 bhp feel on the road? some driving experiences would also help...

Quote:

how does 180 bhp feel on the road?
well, I don't think they can tell you about 180hp, but they sure could (and should) give a detialed reprot of living with the 150Hp RS!

150 only? i was thinking the regular petrol TCed version was 150 and the RS was 180 bhp!!!

i some how remember seeing it as 180 bhp thatz why :D he he my mistake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrie
150 only? i was thinking the regular petrol TCed version was 150 and the RS was 180 bhp!!!

i some how remember seeing it as 180 bhp thatz why :D he he my mistake

not even 150 its 141 only for RS. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrie
Vikram, mad monkey can you guys put up a detailed report on the RS dude? like driving experience, maintenance and other stuff? how does 180 bhp feel on the road? some driving experiences would also help...

Ok. Here are some things that come to mind on the RS experience :

Note :The Indian RS has been detuned to 150 BHP. The RS sold abroad is a 180 BHP.

1. This car screams for speed....if you do not give an expressway ride at least once a week..your're in trouble :) . No really...If I do not get to go the the expressway for some time....I get impatient. It's in its element on an open road.

As far as driving pleasure, my best drive was on way to Shirdi where the highway is single lane and hence you really need those power surges to ovetake often. On the Pune expressway it's a cakewalk since you just pass everyone without much of a bother.

It's surprising how much a car can change one's behaviour. When I am in my Santro I am least bothered about speed or who is overtaking me on the road. But when I sit in the RS, I'm a different person....no one is allowed to overtake me and I need to accelerate at any given possibility. Seriously..... anyone below 30 of age driving this car would need to be very restrained. I'm 40 :D

2. The engine is responsive even below 2000 RPM (without the Turbo). This means that in regular slow moving city traffic you need to press the clutch more often since its very eager to move ahead. It's almost like having to keep it under a leash.

3. Unlike the normal Octavia the RS has an under body proctection plate on the front as well as the rear of the car. Hence some of those scrapes on speedbreakers are a less of a bother. Since the RS has 16 inch wheels the ground clearance is slightly better that the normal Octavia. The front air dam is low and hence if you are descending on a steep road like Zig Zag Rd on Pali Hill, it would scrape the road.

4. I have heard many folks talk about chipping it to 180 BHP. I think that would be overkill if you are mostly going to drive in the city.

5. The Recaro type body hugging seats are good. While turning or cornering at speed they hold you well.

6. My service expereince with one of the dealers has not be very good and Skoda India need to make sure that proper training is given to their dealers. Most of the Skoda's seem to be driver driven and hence not many owners seem to turn up at the service station to drop or pick up their cars .I think that too makes these service stations somewhat lax.

7. The car is sensitive to fuel quality and I think the fuel filter would require regular changes (in think is costs approx Rs. 1,200). Since my car is just due for 1st service I do not have much to say on the maintenance costs as yet.

Viky

Nice report there viky. About the chip...hehehe more power the better in my case. :p
but yes in the city, there isnt much space to stretch her legs.

Drifter

had spoken to the dealer about the chip. he had said putting the chip will void the warrannty. and they dont have it. you have to source it just like you would source a normal performance part.