Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2005, 23:53   #1
BHPian

Maruti Zen, Esteem exit diesel race

Please read this article.
http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/apr/16maruti.htm

The major points to note are:

Maruti Udyog Ltd has exited the diesel vehicle market for now by stopping production of the diesel versions of its Zen and Esteem, thus paving the way for competitors, especially Tata Motors.
Though Maruti has discontinued the production of its diesel cars, the company plans to aggressively re-enter the diesel segment with its own engines in 2007.
The Maruti board had recently cleared a Rs 1,747 crore (Rs 17.47 billion) investment in a new diesel engine and transmission manufacturing facility at Manesar in Haryana.

So that means as some body pointed out earlier, Swift also wouldn't be having any diesel option till 2007.
Old 16th April 2005, 23:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The real reason : Its outsourced Peugeot TUD5 engines wouldnt meet the emission norms in their current state of tune. And Maruti aint capable of doing anything on its own except for upgrading headlights and adding new stickers

GTO
Old 17th April 2005, 00:01   #3
BHPian

But they could have continued it in rural markets like few other manufacturers/models are planning to do. May be sales figures doesn't justify that.
Old 17th April 2005, 00:19   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And Maruti aint capable of doing anything on its own except for upgrading headlights and adding new stickers
How true is that! Anyway, good that they've gone, the esteem Di especially was just hopeless. Way too sluggish but great mileage !
Old 17th April 2005, 01:36   #5
BANNED

are nt maruti guys ..manufacturing diesel cars now..?i mean the zen d and esteem d
Old 17th April 2005, 02:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
How true is that! Anyway, good that they've gone, the esteem Di especially was just hopeless. Way too sluggish but great mileage !
well the diesel esteem/zen were meant for economy (FE) & not performance. most of the diesel cars are meant for it (leave the mercedes' & a few others alone)
anyways, its not a cause of worry because tata is still ruling the diesel market
Old 17th April 2005, 07:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
well the diesel esteem/zen were meant for economy (FE) & not performance.
anyways, its not a cause of worry because tata is still ruling the diesel market

Whatever they were meant for, they were nowhere in comparision with their competition. The diesel Zens & Esteems were engineering disasters and were never in the race.

If you talk about FE / economy, I don't think anyone even considered buying them ahead of the Indica / Indigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
most of the diesel cars are meant for it (leave the mercedes' & a few others alone)
Yes, but its all changing. The Accent CRDi, Octavia 1.9 TDi, Scorpio, Palio/Petra D,etc are not bad in terms of performance.
Old 17th April 2005, 08:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Lets hope that at least now, Maruti stops being lazy and is quick in launching the Swift crdi!!!
Old 17th April 2005, 10:38   #9
BANNED

well its about time they did. dint the premier 1.38D also have the same engine not sure if it did but i had the car it was in awesome shape though i had to sell it since it had no PS in it. now its outdated but if its the same one it wasnt that bad.
Old 17th April 2005, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakr
are nt maruti guys ..manufacturing diesel cars now..?i mean the zen d and esteem d

dude,

the Zen D,Esteem D have peugeot TUD5 diesel engines in them.

as it doesnt meet the the new emission norms,they have been discontinued.

even the hyundai accent D has the same engine it ,before coming with the CRDI.

all this plays into the hands of TATA and to some extent also the Fiat 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
well its about time they did. dint the premier 1.38D also have the same engine not sure if it did but i had the car it was in awesome shape though i had to sell it since it had no PS in it
no,the tud5 was a 1.5L engine whereas the 1.38D was a fiat engine of 1.3 L

Last edited by speedsatya : 17th April 2005 at 12:12.
Old 17th April 2005, 12:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
The Accent CRDi, Octavia 1.9 TDi, Scorpio, Palio/Petra D,etc are not bad in terms of performance.
i mentioned "leaving the mercs' & a few alone".
but still a guy like me, would always stick to petrol.
Old 17th April 2005, 16:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Lets hope that at least now, Maruti stops being lazy and is quick in launching the Swift crdi!!!
Hmmm ... wasn't is supposed to be the Swift JTDI? Also I though that the launch was for the end of 2006.
Old 17th April 2005, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good step taken by MUL for whatever reasons. Now it gives us Bhpians one thing less to complain about. Calling them engineering disasters would be an understatement.
Old 17th April 2005, 20:41   #14
BHPian

I really really wonder, what those logger-heads are upto.. The TUD5 would have been really marvellous in the GYPSY... The gypsy has the space and durability to withstand the TUD5.. And it would have been awesome considering the styling of the vehicle and the market segment that it caters too..

The TUD5 GYPSY would have given the Safari and the Scorpio a run for their money..

As GTO mentioned.. "Maruti aint capable of doing anything on its own except for upgrading headlights and adding new stickers "..
Old 17th April 2005, 20:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey man23ish,

the tud 5 ebgine is not e-3 compliant.co it cannot be used in any new vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks