Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2005, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Regardless of whether it has true sports car credentials, it'll be great if Hyundai actually launches it in India. Another first for Hyundai.
My guess is that it will be a CBU in the 15L range for the V6.
15L isnt bad...it runs about $20,000 here tops for V6 6 speed. Yeah i wanna know when and if this is gonna be launched in india....
Old 18th April 2005, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

15 L is a very good price for a 170 bhp genuine sports coupe ..
..but is the launch confirmed ??
Old 18th April 2005, 13:40   #18
BHPian

my apologies for the off-topic messages from my side too.

coming back to topic, 15l for a v6 coupe aint bad. but is this going to have the indian market? i say yes!! because most of the indians love hyundai. see the amount of xings, old santros, accents on the road. when is it schuduled?
Old 18th April 2005, 14:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
coming back to topic, 15l for a v6 coupe aint bad. but is this going to have the indian market?
LOL I guess I'm guilty of starting off the 15 lakhs rumour - I started that off as a speculative pricepoint, guys.

The car is based on the Elantra floorpan, and has the Sonata engine (if its a V6). Therefore it shouldnt require a lot of re-tooling to set up for manufacture (assuming they dont bring it in as a CBU in which case it will be closer to 20 lakhs), which is why I had speculated on 15 lakhs.

As for whether it will come to the market, I saw an NDTV programme at least 3-4 months where BVR Subbu was interviewed and he did mention that the Tucson and the Tuscany will be launched this year alongwith the new Sonata. Now that someone has seen a test car in Chennai, this only confirms what he said.

Having said that 15 lakhs would be a nice price....
Old 18th April 2005, 14:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

15 L seems too realistic. If launched in the recent future, it would be the only one of it's kind 2 door SPORTZ coupe available in India through the dealer network, apart from a Benz. So till competition steps in, they are bound to charge a hefty premium and laugh themselves to the bank. 20+ L seems more like it.
Though 15 L does sound like fun.

On a side note though, the only Hyundai I can probably take too, not that there is anything wrong with the rest (* fears sparking off yet another debate on Hyundai cars*), for obvious reasons.
Old 18th April 2005, 14:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
15 L seems too realistic. If launched in the recent future, it would be the only one of it's kind 2 door SPORTZ coupe available in India through the dealer network, apart from a Benz.
You forgot the SAN Storm????

Last edited by ported_head : 18th April 2005 at 14:58.
Old 18th April 2005, 15:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

No, da. Just willfully ignored.
Old 5th May 2005, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Well OVERDRIVE this month has a feature on the Hyundai Tuscani (what this car is...called a Tiburon in NA)...anyone read it yet???
Old 5th May 2005, 12:47   #24
BHPian

Good stufff iomega

Folks from trident and advaith (Bangalore Hyundai dealers) had mentioned that they would launch the tiburon in 2005. Just called to confirm with them again....and they're all being very hushed up about it....

I'm sure this is part of a larger game plan....the car would serve well as a flagship product as the sonata/elantra/terracan haven't really clicked, or no longer hold appeal, in India.....the new sonata is a plain jane and hyundai would need the flash factor of the tiburon to show case their capabilities.....the tuscon is targeted at a niche audience and isnt half as appealing...
Old 5th May 2005, 14:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The car is based on the Elantra floorpan, and has the Sonata engine (if its a V6). Therefore it shouldnt require a lot of re-tooling to set up for manufacture (assuming they dont bring it in as a CBU in which case it will be closer to 20 lakhs), which is why I had speculated on 15 lakhs.
I don't think this car could achieve the volumes required for manufacture in India, so I would think it would have to be a CBU. This is a true-blue sports coupe, so only a few enthusiasts (like some T-BHPians) would fork out the dough for one of these. Your average rich guy would go for a luxury sedan or an SUV.
Old 5th May 2005, 14:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
I don't think this car could achieve the volumes required for manufacture in India, so I would think it would have to be a CBU. This is a true-blue sports coupe, so only a few enthusiasts (like some T-BHPians) would fork out the dough for one of these. Your average rich guy would go for a luxury sedan or an SUV.
Can only agree with you on this count. The Tuscon, inspite of using the same Elantra floorplan and engine isn't manufactured here. Its a CBU.

Even at 15 lakhs, i don't see too huge a market for this car. Somewhere between 200 and 400 units a year for such a car is all i can see. Its a speculation based on what current demand probably looks like. But i can be proven wrong.

If this car does take off, albeit ever so slightly, don't be surprised if Toyota enters in the market with the Celica.

Revv
Old 5th May 2005, 14:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
If this car does take off, albeit ever so slightly, don't be surprised if Toyota enters in the market with the Celica.
And then Honda with the S2000, and Nissan with the 350Z

(Hey, we can all dream, right? )
Old 5th May 2005, 15:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maedi
Good stufff iomega

Folks from trident and advaith (Bangalore Hyundai dealers) had mentioned that they would launch the tiburon in 2005. Just called to confirm with them again....and they're all being very hushed up about it....

I'm sure this is part of a larger game plan....the car would serve well as a flagship product as the sonata/elantra/terracan haven't really clicked, or no longer hold appeal, in India.....the new sonata is a plain jane and hyundai would need the flash factor of the tiburon to show case their capabilities.....the tuscon is targeted at a niche audience and isnt half as appealing...
man if its anytime during the months of june/july/aug/sept..im down to buy a Tiburon!...hope it will come with the V6. You know whats funny, i walked into the Hyundai dealership in Bangalore (i cant remember if it was Advaith or Trident..the one near Brigades??) back in 2003...to ask if by chance the Tiburon would ever come to India. The salesperson said there was pretty much no market in india. I mentioned to him that in the US the car was like 21 grand max..he said it would prolly be over 20 lakhs in india..i told him he was being rediculous..he sorta shut up after that...but my how times have changed now. If the car is made in india..it will prolly be not that bad in pricing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks