Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:39   #316
BHPian

6.36 is lot of money for the i20, I feel the pricing is perhaps 40-50k off, at 5.8-5.9 on road for the Asta and 6.1-6.2 for the Asta O makes sense, more than that and one starts eyeing other options, and if the Linea is priced as speculated, and it too is loaded, it will definitely gives lots of folks reason to pause. However apparently only the Linea Dynamic option pack and emotion variants will have airbags and ABS all of which are around 8 plus on road so there is still room for the i20 for the safety conscious.
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:54   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
extreme the only problem is that bigger engine owuld have meant no excise benefits passed on to customer (meaning almost 50-60k more in ex-showroom price) That would have pushed it into Aveo/Dzire range and people in India wont buy a hatch when a sedan is available for similar price!

You should blame the govt and not Hyundai for just a 1.2 engine.
exactly, govt. should be blamed for this thing. I had seen hyundai delivering good stuff i.e goodies when it comes to price which none other companies do. other companies do compromise in the many stuffs to deliver the car with lower cost.

If we compare the goodies of i20 asta with swift zxi, and i20 with just 50k more in price. we are getting more space, more goodies, better built quality, rattle free car, etc etc. etc. moreover it is enough for a common man. Forget enthusiast, as enthusiasts are too less in numbers if compared with the janta. If as a true enthusiast, i will compromise on the interiors and i will straightaway go for Getz CRDi hatch. because i will be getting an engine with Huge Torque which will be faster than civics corollas no offense guys. Swift D? Nah!

only one thing is stopping me to buy getz crdi, ABS. hyundai fools havnt given ABS, else i would had been driving Getz crdi by now. I don't need classy interiors if the engine is torquish. All i will do, change the crdi batch to prime 1.1, and beat the hell out of the cars

anyways it was going off topic. 2nd case elantra crdi, highly under rated car, they provided each everything solid torquish engine, abs, ebd, bas, tcs, airbags, huge space, exellent seats. mind ya, it is not a delicate car, it is strong. its my personal experience not just the crash rating. what was the cost? it was cheaper than civic i think. even accord was not having such features.

then sonata embera... we all know the story.

in short hyundai delivers their best with the best price, only thing is our stupid taxes, that's why verna crdi is costly and thats why they did super cost cutting in Getz Crdi, just because of the taxes and all that stupid stuffs made by the govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
This is exactly its biggest flaw. A big area of concern for me! I really don't care about an underpowered engine since I'll be using it as an everyday runabout. But the lack of rear leg space on such a big car makes me think that I'll need to take out my dad's Honda City on friends night outs.

I wish they had pushed the seats back by another 3-4 inches. That boot is way too huge!!
i own 2 hyundai cars. Elantra and Accent. In accent its like they had given extra front space and you can go back beyond the limits to make the front leg space more and more. If i pull the seat to the full, my accent's seat will touch the rear seat given huge amount of front leg space. i'm not saying rear space is super in accent but i'm talking about the front leg space i.e front seats are really flexible.

Same thing is applicable for elantra. but elantra have a much much better rear leg space.

When checking out the car in the showroom, people tends to pull the seat back more than required, hence delivering less rear space. I havnt seen i20 till yet, can confirm on this part only when i will check it, if the front seats are that much flexible like my 2 cars or not.

Last edited by Gangsta : 3rd January 2009 at 14:05.
Old 3rd January 2009, 15:52   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
When checking out the car in the showroom, people tends to pull the seat back more than required, hence delivering less rear space
Well I set up myself in the front seat in the way I would normally drive, and then went and sat in the back seat. Not good - the space was tight.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:09   #319
BHPian

I just checked out the i20 today. I echo the feelings of most of the members here. It feels very well built and i just loved the dash and especially its backlighting;looks very cool. One thing i noted was, even though the rear space was not generous, seating position is quite good and one doesn't have to sit in a knees-up position as we do in our Elantra or one does in Civic. At 6'1 i almost messed up my hair style though!
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:27   #320
BHPian

I had a look at the i20, the interiors look good, the steering looks awesome.
But I think the seats are quite low, even though the front seat is height adjustable, if you try to make it too high your head will touch the roof.
If you pull it back then there wont be enough leg room for the rear passengers. Also the rear seats are quite low.
The ground clearance of the car is 168mm, that is a little higher than the i10 and the car height is several cms lower than the i10. That explains why the seats feel low. They should have kept the Tall boy stance for this car that would have sorted out many problems.
Also why such a large boot with a 1.2 Ltr engine? They could have easily moved the rear seat a little bit behind
The large boot and presence of the extra safety features caters to families who like to take the car out for vacations. Unfortunately it doesnt have a befitting engine.

All in all, only if people who are really bored of seeing so many swifts on the road and need something different desperately would go for the i20.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:03   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Well I set up myself in the front seat in the way I would normally drive, and then went and sat in the back seat. Not good - the space was tight.
aha! how about the test drive? i20 available for test drive?
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:16   #322
Senior - BHPian

i20 test drives are available only in another 10 days time is what I've heard. This whole launch was all about the COTY is what I feel.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:37   #323
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Hyundai showroom today in Bangalore. Saw a white i20 on display. Some points noticed by me:
1) The car is huge! I feel it has more space inside than a Verna.
2) The car feels solid.
3) The brown dash wasn't according to my taste.
4) The missing chrome on the grille doesn't look good. They should have added it.
5) Very less headroom. I'm not too tall. Around 5' 9". I felt the roof was almost on my head. Getz had far more headroom.
6) Rear legroom is almost similar to the Swift.
7) The brown plastics are similar in quality to the Swift. However, the beige plastic quality is very good.
8) The boot space is HUGE for a hatch!
9) Front legroom is generous. The front seats are supportive too.
10) Rear seat is wide enough to seat 3 comfortably. The seats, although not as good as the front, offer decent support. I instantly felt the difference since I know how bad my Swift rear seats are.
11) The brown on the seats look good.

Test drives haven't started till now.

My take on this car: Guys who want to buy the i20, please wait for few months. I'm sure there will be more engine options then. An excellent option for guys looking at the Fabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
i20 test drives are available only in another 10 days time is what I've heard. This whole launch was all about the COTY is what I feel.
The BSM gave them the third spot. Lets see whether they get any awards. I really doubt because of the HC.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 3rd January 2009 at 18:39.
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:22   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
COTY according to which magazine? There are numerous magazine which numerous award. All this confusion makes the COTY invalid.

Unless and until some authorized and reviewed body issues the COTY award, its invalid

Checkout WCOTY.com.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:09   #325
BHPian

Quote:
aha! how about the test drive? i20 available for test drive?
Test drive cars will only arrive by January 15th in the north - Because the dispatches will start on 6th or 7th, when the Hyundai factory opens again after shutdown.
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:52   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Had been to Hyundai showroom today in Bangalore.
5) Very less headroom. I'm not too tall. Around 5' 9". I felt the roof was almost on my head. Getz had far more headroom.
6) Rear legroom is almost similar to the Swift.
I too visited Trident and saw a white i20
1. Found the headroom very disappointing, I'm 6'2" and my head (and turban) was hitting the roof. Swift beats it hands down in this dept.
2. The steering wheel was placed at a akward position.
3. The quality of construction was quite good, beige/brown interiors would need getting use to for some.
4. The engine was too small for the amount of space the i20 has under the hood, mostly empty space all around the 1.2l motor.
5. Other controls - power windows/orvm etc were high quality and felt firm
6. Had alloys and Apollo Acelere

More after the TD
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:00   #327
BHPian

Quote:
in short hyundai delivers their best with the best price, only thing is our stupid taxes, that's why verna crdi is costly and thats why they did super cost cutting in Getz Crdi, just because of the taxes and all that stupid stuffs made by the govt.
I guess with Getz CRDI Hyundai gets the benefit of the lower excise duty (16% slab), so they could have reduced the cost cutting a little bit. The addition of a rear wiper and defogger at the same price would have made the decision to buy Getz CRDI easier for many people - but then life can't be that easy, can it?
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:09   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
I guess with Getz CRDI Hyundai gets the benefit of the lower excise duty (16% slab), so they could have reduced the cost cutting a little bit. The addition of a rear wiper and defogger at the same price would have made the decision to buy Getz CRDI easier for many people - but then life can't be that easy, can it?
Rear wiper, demister etc can all come later. The CRDi badly needs ABS! When they can offer ABS for the GLX, what is Hyundai waiting for ?
Old 4th January 2009, 12:12   #329
Senior - BHPian

Some people here commented i20 steering is copy of Civic's. To me it looks more like direct copy of 2009 Chevy Cruze (or is it the other way round with the Americans copying the Koreans this time around)?

Have a look at Chevy interiors:
Chevrolet Cruze wallpaper # 09 of 17, MY 2009
Old 4th January 2009, 12:23   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Some people here commented i20 steering is copy of Civic's. To me it looks more like direct copy of 2009 Chevy Cruze (or is it the other way round with the Americans copying the Koreans this time around)?

Have a look at Chevy interiors:
Chevrolet Cruze wallpaper # 09 of 17, MY 2009
I think its a 2-stage process.

Hyundai copied the design from the Civic and the buttons from the Cruze. But guess the Yanks copied from the Japs for sure!

If not for Team-BHP, no one would ever notice such things. For all you know, all potential i20 owners are already going ga-ga over the awesome design of the car.. of course "inspired" from the Mazda2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks