Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 10:20   #631
BHPian

@appuchan

Maybe the test drive vehicle I took out had some flaw.
Logically speaking the EPS should cut off anything above 60 kmph for better handling, but I experienced that till 110kmph the electronic steering doesn't cut off. Not too sure whether it cut off after that too as any vehicle can be scary to steer hard at those speeds. Can be quiet an unnerving experience.

The handling was almost as bad as the verna.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:19   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar View Post
Our i20 model was introduced in the Indian market in December, and has seen over thrice as much demand as we expected," said vice president (production) Inderjith. "We have achieved our sales target for three months already."

Hyundai recalls discontinued trainees- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
They had very modest target for domestic sales (1500 per month ?). It was not expected to be more than 20% of overall production, which may be the first in India where a car produced here of which about 80% is exported. Of course we get a scaled down model of the export version, as usual
Old 30th January 2009, 14:21   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Your are totally wrong about that now, they have got the Hyundai Genesis which is a head on competition to E Class,5 Series. with a V8 Mill , so they too are in every sense a luxury car maker ,they may be famous for less expensive cars but that was when they were a struggling Korean company trying to make it big, now they are the worlds 5th largest car manufacturer ,larger than Honda and inching closer to VW.
Yes, absolutely right!! Infact, Hyundai's global strategy is that Kia will be the brand that has the less expensive cars while the Hyundai brand should be seen as an upmarket brand. Of course this is not true for India, but globally that's the brand strategy

Hyundai-Kia Launches Brand Differentiation Strategy
Old 30th January 2009, 16:57   #634
BHPian

Booked an i20 Asta in Sparkle Blue yesterday

Was planning to wait for the Jazz but apparently the car is 6 months away from launch.
In my opinion the car might seem a tad overpriced, but the package offered is feature rich and quite good. And as a city runabout it makes perfect sense.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:09   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckDriver View Post
Booked an i20 Asta in Sparkle Blue yesterday

Was planning to wait for the Jazz but apparently the car is 6 months away from launch.
In my opinion the car might seem a tad overpriced, but the package offered is feature rich and quite good. And as a city runabout it makes perfect sense.
Congrats Reckie. Do post your initial drive feedback and if possible a detailed one when you get your new i20

I'll wait till April for GP. Will get an i20 myself if there is no GP/Jazz by then.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:44   #636
BHPian

Definitely Hope to get the car delivered by 3rd week of February.

The GP would be a good buy as well, especially with that sweet diesel under its hood !
Should undercut the i20 by quite a margin in terms of pricing.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:57   #637
BHPian

A Thorough Review

Hey every1. Just test drove the i20 1.2 Asta (Top-end model) today.
Before we begin, may i add that i currently drive an Accent Petrol (the 1.5) and it is an awesome drive along with Yokohama rubber. Also im a driving fanatic and absolutely love driving.
So id say the below comments might be biased with regards to how the Accent feels in the following aspects - great cornering, good steering feel, overtaking is a breeze, excellent suspension and though a light car, it feels solid enough in build quality.

So here goes the i20:

First, as always, the POSITIVES
+ The car looks really good & has a good blend of sporty as well as classy looks.
Also, it looks solidly built due to the stance it has & also the ridges in the stlying on the sides as well as the back.
Alloys have a nice design and is good to see a different design from most OEM alloys offered on cars in the Indian market.
The tail lamps look awesome.
In the looks department, this car has it made.

+ Front seats offer good support & comfort (I think, its a trait in most Hyundai cars). Dint try the back seats.

+ The engine is not underpowered like i have been reading everywhere. It is pretty adequate for city driving and traffic.

+ Space is adequate with a boot which is pretty large.

+ The features it offers is upto the mark with today's cars & the 6 airbags option is great though just a tad pricy.

Now the NEGATIVES
- Though the engine is not underpowered, overtaking anything would require quite an effort. Yes, it might be great in the city to potter around in but it is just plain dull on the open road. Im sure it will run out of breath on the highway. (My TD was with 3 ppl onboard and AC at the lowest setting.)

- The 6 speaker setup is a big dissappointment
even after fiddling with the settings. Even the most basic aftermarket speakers will be a big step up in sound quality.
The 4 speaker setup which you got with the Verna (middle variant) as stock 2 years back are miles ahead and do a great job and it would have made sense to put those here as well.

- Dint find the quality up to the mark
. By quality i mean the details which make you feel good like...
Foldable key felt plasticky, light & tacky & the hinge was loose.
Overall build was just about fine but it didnt feel solidly built like the way it looks to be.
Id say the Swift feels way more solid than the i20.

- The suspension though pretty OK, is very very thumpy and the car bumps & thrashes (Not bouncy like the verna but still it wasnt pleasant) on uneven road. It is not bad at absorbing bumps but the bumping & thrashing gets to you.

- Steering feel is almost non-existent. Though the salesman told me about the dual steering setup & how it changes to hydraulic steering above 80kmph, but i dint notice any difference. In fact, i felt unsecure & scared doing 80 due to no steering feel & the car felt light and not planted very well onto the road. (Build quality also showed here).
This was a disaster as i enjoy cornering and there is no way i am going to enjoy cornering in this. Id probably be overly cautious & scared like crazy to corner even the slightest speed in this. Came to almost a standstill at every corner in order to feel safe while cornering.
[Just a thought but perhaps better rubber may add some betterment here maybe]

- Gearknob. Though a very small thing, i feel its the small niggles that make a car grow on you. The gearknob looked cheap and that chrome finish just repulsed me. A knob like the Verna would have looked great.
[P.S. the only reason i keep bringing up the Verna is to keep to offerings from the same company and also sharing of parts which could also be beneficial for the company and enhance the product appeal at the same time. Like for example Maruti Swift, SX4 & A-Star use similar components like the steering wheel, gear knob, etc.]

Time for the Grand Finale
To sum it all up, personally i was pretty disappointed. Was expecting a solidly built European build quality car with great interiors and great driving dynamics.
Though i found great European stlying, i dont think i found the rest upto the mark.

The main putoff for me was the steering and the driving dynamics. I love driving and the i20 is definately not an ethusiast's choice. The Swift is a best bet for that.

But you shouldnt write off the i20 completely. I think its aimed more for the city dweller who isnt an enthusiast and wants a city car which is light on the steering, easy to park, a boot which can take in all the weeks supplies bought during the weekend, has all the features he/she could ask for and will catch stares everywhere he/she goes.

For this type of audience, the car delivers with panache.
Light steering makes it easy to drive (women will enjoy this), it looks awesome, has adequate power for pottering around town and has an upmarket image.

All in all, what im saying is...People who love driving, stay away!
People who want a good alternative to the Swift, this is a commendable effort from Hyundai.
Hope this review is beneficial.

Last edited by Xehaust : 1st February 2009 at 22:11.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:12   #638
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning for the i20 magna. Thinking of the Berry Red as the dealer told its same as the Santro's Dynasty Red(Maroonish) color.
Not seen the color in flesh. The dealers have the white, grey and blue on display.

The latest Auto bild issue has the i20 in red color, does not look like the Santro's Dynasty red. Have anyone seen the red i20? Is it really same as the Santro's red?

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:31   #639
Senior - BHPian

Berry Red is very different to Dynasty Red. Berry is more or less a maroon colour.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:31   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'll wait till April for GP. Will get an i20 myself if there is no GP/Jazz by then.
I plan to have TD of the i20 today/tom. Post the TD i will decide.. But seeing the GP on the UK site and the news around...I might as well wait for the GP until Apriland then decide based on how good /bad it is.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:04   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Though the salesman told me about the dual steering setup & how it changes to hydraulic steering above 80kmph, but i dint notice any difference.
Can somebody elighten me on this point? Dual Steering setup? This has to be a first in Automobiles. Or am I wrong?
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:13   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Can somebody elighten me on this point? Dual Steering setup? This has to be a first in Automobiles. Or am I wrong?
I think he talking of Electro-Hydraulic steering. I am not sure whether i20 has that. Fabia has such a setup though.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:14   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey every1. Just test drove the i20 1.2 Asta (Top-end model) today....
Hey Bro the reveiew which u have provided does not make any sense as the things which u have mentioned

Though the engine is not underpowered - The car can actually overtake other cars easily and overtaking some other car also requires your own skill of driving and its not 100 % dependeable on the Car Engine. So if u are not able to over take then may be u lack some driving skills

The 6 speaker setup is a big dissappointment - Have u heard the souns system i think buddy not the maximum volume for the system is 33 and the limit of 16 is more than sufficent for anybody to hear the songs in the car. Just listen it one more time

Dint find the quality up to the mark - How can you even compare it with stupid . Check the build quality with all the safety features invoved. The folder key is something what you get in skoda laura. Just check it once gain

The suspension - The suspension is pretty fine i have taken the TD of teh car for 20 kms on normal roads and bad roads so beleive me there is no problem.
Steering feel is almost non-existent - You seriously need to lean bro the steering is a power steering and its the smoothest i have ever seen. I have driven the car at the speed of 110 and it was perfectly fine and in my control.

Gearknob - The gearknob is low and perfect for a driver and the chrome finish looks good. I wonder what happend to your choice.

Brother i believe u have one more test drive of the car and then come and tell us rather then just providing illogical reasons. and stop comparing it with verna even its from the same company there styling is different . Hope u understand

Note from Mods : Please do not type in all bold text. You must take a look at this thread before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2009 at 18:59. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:24   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthor View Post
overtaking some other car also requires your own skill of driving and its not 100 % dependeable on the Car Engine. So if u are not able to over take then may be u lack some driving skills
Reminds one of the old saying: "Bad overtakers go to the undertakers."

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2009 at 18:59. Reason: Bold formatting removed from quoted post.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:51   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthor View Post
Hey Bro the reveiew which u have provided does not make any sense as the things which u have mentioned

Though the engine is not underpowered - The car can actually overtake other cars easily and overtaking some other car also requires your own skill of driving and its not 100 % dependeable on the Car Engine. So if u are not able to over take then may be u lack some driving skills

The 6 speaker setup is a big dissappointment - Have u heard the souns system i think buddy not the maximum volume for the system is 33 and the limit of 16 is more than sufficent for anybody to hear the songs in the car. Just listen it one more time

Dint find the quality up to the mark - How can you even compare it with stupid . Check the build quality with all the safety features invoved. The folder key is something what you get in skoda laura. Just check it once gain

The suspension - The suspension is pretty fine i have taken the TD of teh car for 20 kms on normal roads and bad roads so beleive me there is no problem.
Steering feel is almost non-existent - You seriously need to lean bro the steering is a power steering and its the smoothest i have ever seen. I have driven the car at the speed of 110 and it was perfectly fine and in my control.

Gearknob - The gearknob is low and perfect for a driver and the chrome finish looks good. I wonder what happend to your choice.

Brother i believe u have one more test drive of the car and then come and tell us rather then just providing illogical reasons. and stop comparing it with verna even its from the same company there styling is different . Hope u understand
Its ok man. Learn to respect others views/opinions. Its not like what he is saying is the law! Its his opinion based on his own experience. Doesnt have to match yours or others.

People like/dislike cars not based on others opinions but based on their own perceptions/experiences.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2009 at 19:00. Reason: Bold formatting removed from quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks