Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 00:05   #751
BHPian

well, I am in market for a new small car and TDed several of them including the i20.

I'd agree with most regarding the interiors being of very high class.However,what really took the sheen off was the rest of it!!

I mean, I could stand on the gas pedal and the car still felt sluggish.I couldnt but draw a comparison to the Swift or the Ritz that I tested recently(albeit the diesel variant).

The steering never felt connected to the road.But the worst would be the suspension. I drove over a 2 inch mini hump @ 20 kmph and the suspension bottomed out with a thud!! I was worried for a moment whether I had managed to break the TD car!

I personally do not think that this is one car to be drive aggressively at any cost,and we need to be extra cautious while treating the indian roads.

Did anyone else have similar feelings? or was it just the TD vehicle?
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:26   #752
BHPian

aqualeo2040, I think your mention about the car bottoming out on 2 inch min hump must be due to the TD car. I have never experienced any such experience with even 5 people sitting in the car.
Old 11th June 2009, 14:35   #753
BHPian

After seeing the price of the Jazz, all Hyundai needs to do now is slap on a boot to the i20, price it at a Rs50,000 premium over its hatch sibling and rake in the money from the extra sales. Also will serve as a good alternative to the Dzire which is creaming the sedan market
Old 11th June 2009, 14:52   #754
BHPian

Agreed! They can badge it as the Elantra!
Old 11th June 2009, 16:01   #755
BHPian

I wonder, seeing Jazz is priced very high over i20 they 'll be prompted to introduce i30 here
Old 12th June 2009, 16:46   #756
BHPian

Finally a test drive!

The salesperson just came to my office for a test drive of i20 and I took it to chandani chowk here to test if we can climb that steep hill sharply. There were 3 adults in i20 and car was just struggling to climb up in third (or even second gear) when I completely floored the accelerator. When I took it for a small stretch on express highway (straight road, no steep hills) and floored the accelerator in 5th gear, it was stuck at 70 kmph and took very long time to climb til 85 kmph. Very sluggish and it was almost difficult for me to overtake any vehicle. Not my style of car with this engine, I will try it with new 1.4 diesel engine if it indeed gets launched by this month end. Hyundai i20 with 1.2 petrol engine is really underpowered, and I am not a very fast driver but I need power in city to overtake others, and to climb small steep hill of Chandani chowk everyday without fuss, and when trucks passing by block my way, I need power to quickly overtake them.

Otherwise, I found i20 Asta fully loaded, it's awesome. The gearbox is pure joy and ride quality is really good. Just that I didn't like the seat covers, but they can be replaced easily in 5-6k. Not a problem! Bring on i20 1.4 diesel soon and price it sensibly please!

I think i20 should celebrate Jazz launch the most, its exorbitant price now makes i20 seem rather reasonable!
Old 24th July 2009, 10:46   #757

Calling all 1.2 i20 owners - on engine performance

One of my friends is looking for a spacious hatchback and i20 fits the bill very well here. The Punto's cramped footwell (which GTO mentions in the report too) is really inconvenient for his broad an big feet. Skoda is big NO purely from a maintenance point of view. And his head frequently hits the curving roof on the front in the Vista. And this is what he had to say after this exercise - there is an extent to which one should grow, beyond which height becomes a complete nuisance.

Having researched this forum for sometime, he is a bit worried about the 1.2L engine's performance in i20. Everyone has a opinion on the i20's engine. While most feel that it is underpowered, there is a small sect of people (primarily comprising the owners) who feel that i20 is adequately powered.

So I'm calling all owners of the 1.2L i20 and people who have TD'ed the car, to voice their opinion on the following :

- How adequately powered is i20 ?

- How is the performance on the highway ? Do you have to constantly shift gears to overtake ?

- Has anyone driven i20 in the hills (with say 3/4 passengers) ? Will i20 pull in the hills in 2nd/3rd gear ?

- Based on i20's torque curve, what would be your advise on when to shift gears ?

And please do indicate whether you own on i20 or whether you have TD'ed the car.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2009 at 11:52. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, thanks.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:17   #758
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Having researched this forum for sometime, he is a bit worried about the 1.2L engine's performance in i20. Everyone has a opinion on the i20's engine.
In a nutshell, a sedate driver will be satisfied within the city, but will want for more on the highway. An enthusiast will walk away (in the city or on the highway). Challenge : Steep inclines with 4 people onboard (expect clutch slipping). If your friend is not a car guy, and his running is within the city, he'll probably be satisfied with the i20. I'd suggest considering the 1.4 and the CRDi (if running is on the higher side).

As with all queries, the best judge will be your friend himself. Ask him to take a TD.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:24   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
So I'm calling all owners of the 1.2L i20 and people who have TD'ed the car, to voice their opinion on the following :

- How adequately powered is i20 ?

- How is the performance on the highway ? Do you have to constantly shift gears to overtake ?

- Has anyone driven i20 in the hills (with say 3/4 passengers) ? Will i20 pull in the hills in 2nd/3rd gear ?

- Based on i20's torque curve, what would be your advise on when to shift gears ?

And please do indicate whether you own on i20 or whether you have TD'ed the car.

Appreciate your help.
Test drove it a few days back and the engine was a huge downer for me atleast and I am not an out and out performance person. It started impressively... the low down torque was ok and so was the part throttle response but the moment you floor you know there isnt much performance to be had from this engine.
If you have to go for the i20, I would say look at the diesel variant but then its a whopping 1.4 lakh rupee more.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:26   #760
BHPian

@Elan,

Since your friend seems too concerned about power, i20 might disappoint him (going by what TBHPians are saying).
The 1.4 Punto is quite powerful especially after you cross 2000rpm. If that footwell issue can be compromised, I would suggest your friend to have a good look at Punto.

Eitherways, he should have a back-to-back testdrive of Punto and i20 on same road and decide which is more powerful.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:42   #761
Senior - BHPian

I bought the i 20, knowing the power issue that was a supposed downer, and as a car to replace my 1.6 GTX Palio, so all of this depends on the driver and the application. In the TD, I revved the engine close to the redline to see how free it is, and how the car moves, and the car did well. In my case, the car is now meant for just my wife and for me, with weekend luggage if we go out of the city. I am quite happy to use the gearbox, and the slick shifter allows me to do just that. Interior fit and finish quality means a lot to me now, as does reliable no niggle behaviour. And after sales that is oriented towards the urban owner driver. FE is important to me, as is the knowledge that I am not overbuying or burning. With this, the i 20 1.2 hits the sweet spot as far as I was concerned. In city driving post purchase, I have no complaints.
So it all depends on personal preferences, once you know what you get from each offering. Good luck!
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2009, 11:04   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
While most feel that it is underpowered, there is a small sect of people (primarily comprising the owners) who feel that i20 is adequately powered.

I have taken a few TDs of the 1.2 in the city. It is a great VFM product and has almost everything right. That includes the engine if you are a sedate driver. It's refined, etc. But if you want the excitement of driving a petrol this isn't the car. For a car this bulky (it seems pretty well built) you'll need more power to throw it around.
Old 9th April 2010, 03:14   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could be a market for the 80 BHP i20 at a better price. It's gonna tank with the current price tag, I'm willing to bet on it. Expect Hyundais typical price corrections / discounts sooner rather than later. Plus, they have to make some room for the diesel too, wot?
Did you bet finally? 4500/month agaisnt the darling Ritz-with-gem-of-a-K12M 5800 odd.

Actually I never understood why the forums kept speaking of it being overpriced, when it is about 50K pricier than a comparable swift variant. With loads of more features, interiors, space, looks, built quality. The Magna was comparable to Vxi, not Lxi.

And its clearly know that the "enthusiast" perspective on engines/driveability is rarely reflected by the masses. Punto is dropped to what...1000? There are many takers for the 1.2 80 bhp. Especially those who dont care its the "same 1.2 on the I10 also".
Old 12th April 2010, 15:12   #764
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalmonotony View Post
Did you bet finally? 4500/month agaisnt the darling Ritz-with-gem-of-a-K12M 5800 odd.
Oh believe me, the i20's market performance has made me eat my words (and how!). I couldn't have gotten it more wrong than I did.

It was probably disappointment at the absolute lack of pep (and sluggishness) that I experienced, in a friends 7.xx lakh rupee i20. As they say about 1st impressions...
Old 24th July 2010, 10:55   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh believe me, the i20's market performance has made me eat my words (and how!). I couldn't have gotten it more wrong than I did.

It was probably disappointment at the absolute lack of pep (and sluggishness) that I experienced, in a friends 7.xx lakh rupee i20. As they say about 1st impressions...
Big hearted (and objective) of you to say so :-) But then, that's why people hold your reviews in high esteem!
i20 sales surprised all of us - interestingly, many of the points I made in the mid-thread discussions got borne out - 1.4l petrol and 1.4CRDI variants, model variants increase down the line. Also, i20 1.2 itself sold huge numbers probably due to the 'extortion' called Jazz!
I was really disappointed to read of the AC issues though :-(

Most Viewed