Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 13:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Update on Pricing:

Introductory Pricing by Hyundai (Ex- Showroom Delhi)

Magna : 4,79,900.

Asta : 5,59,900.

Asta (O) : 5,81,900.

Available in 7 colors.

These prices are confirmed by Hyundai India.
Means i20 Asta is going to be under 6 lacs OTR Delhi!!! Yipeeeeeeeeee...

How cruel that somebody bought i10 Asta for more than that in Blore!
Old 29th December 2008, 13:33   #122
BHPian

Thanks SID for the detailed pics.

I somehow didnot like the interior Brown color, Gear knob, the dials(could have been better) and the red light interior colour of the switches.

The green yellow combi light like in the other models looks better.

Anywayz, if priced right this car is going to sell like hot cakes. That I am sure about. The feautures installed are awsome!!

Just cant wait for a test drive.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:38   #123
BHPian

Well
swift starts from 3.95 for lxi upto 5.10 for zxi. (New delhi)
fusion starts from 5.79 to 6.18 lakhs (new delhi)

i20 starts from 4.80 to 5.82 lakhs

quite confusing because if you put some 36K you get a much powerful engine of fusion less some features & if you put 72K less you get some equivalent features of swift & also a some what better engine then i20.

So i would summaries that if I just want features I would go for i20, more powerful engine fusion & a compromise on features swift.

What more you get in i20 asta than swift zxi
1) electrlcally operated ORVM
2) Electric Folding ORVM
3) Cooled glove Box
4) Information Display
5) More Space

May be i may have missed few more, you pay more Rs 60,000.

Last edited by 007 Bond : 29th December 2008 at 13:52.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:38   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update on Pricing:

Introductory Pricing by Hyundai (Ex- Showroom Delhi)

Magna : 4,79,900.

Asta : 5,59,900.

Asta (O) : 5,81,900.

Available in 7 colors.

These prices are confirmed by Hyundai India.
Brilliant pricing ! Bye-bye Swift,Fabia et all
Old 29th December 2008, 13:39   #125
BHPian

so its basically the same engine (from the i10)..isn't it ?? on a bigger, heavier car. hmmm...am I the only one who thinks this car is a bit of a lemon ?

no doubt, there is an extremely impressive goodie list. no denying that. but when i consider the cost to the manufaturer, of a new appropriately powered engine as opposed to the cost of an electric rear view mirror, things come into perspective.

power wise, it should be reasonably frustrating fully loaded on long highway drives. prolly okay for in city where very frankly, given the current state of affairs, even a 40 bhp will suffice very well.

i am very happy with the airbags option. way to go hyundai for setting new benchmarks in safety. my point of view, thats the best thing, for it means hyundai has raised the safety bar for this class of cars.

lets see how this sells. will be interesting, how many people pay for the background scenery as opposed to worrying about the actual premises.

this whole excise-cut driven engine capacity limitation by manufaturers is getting frustrating. I was most disappointed when the new Indica Vista also came with a 1.3. quadra jet, multi jet, fancy jet, water jet, bollocks. give us the meat guys.

Last edited by hell_rider : 29th December 2008 at 13:42.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:41   #126
BHPian

It's a nice job by Hyundai to give 6 airbags along with the never ending list of class-leading features. Seems they're preparing to fight with the upcoming Honda Jazz. But the engine has disappointed me a bit :( I expected a 100 BHP from the i20. Hope they won't price it like the Fabia.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:42   #127
BHPian

I know it sounds cliched but fantastic scoop Sid !

I have never liked Hyundai vehicles but seems they have got a winner in their hands.
If only they can give i20 with a smaller (read fuel efficient) CRDI engine and price it @ 6.5 L on road for the top-end. That would be the icing on the cake.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Means i20 Asta is going to be under 6 lacs OTR Delhi!!! Yipeeeeeeeeee...

How cruel that somebody bought i10 Asta for more than that in Blore!
I think you are referring to member jesel.
AFAIK, he bought an automatic i10 Asta. Even an automatic i20 Asta would cost around 7 lac OTR (if at all it is launched).

Good pricing though and i think the biggest casuality would be Fabia and Mr. Punto from fiat (if at all its launched).

Last edited by DCEite : 29th December 2008 at 13:47.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:51   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
so its basically the same engine (from the i10)..isn't it ?? on a bigger, heavier car. hmmm...am I the only one who thinks this car is a bit of a lemon ?

no doubt, there is an extremely impressive goodie list. no denying that. but when i consider the cost to the manufaturer, of a new appropriately powered engine as opposed to the cost of an electric rear view mirror, things come into perspective.

power wise, it should be reasonably frustrating fully loaded on long highway drives. prolly okay for in city where very frankly, given the current state of affairs, even a 40 bhp will suffice very well.

i am very happy with the airbags option. way to go hyundai for setting new benchmarks in safety. my point of view, thats the best thing, for it means hyundai has raised the safety bar for this class of cars.

lets see how this sells. will be interesting, how many people pay for the background scenery as opposed to worrying about the actual premises.

this whole excise-cut driven engine capacity limitation by manufaturers is getting frustrating. I was most disappointed when the new Indica Vista also came with a 1.3. quadra jet, multi jet, fancy jet, water jet, bollocks. give us the meat guys.

I agree with you there on the engine front. However, I think Hyundai is offering this price just due to the lower excise duty structure for small cars with less than 1200 cc engine (No thanks to our government's stupid taxation policy).

Had they bought in a bigger engine (which I would surely like) the pricing would have been closer to 7 lacs onroad, which I don't think Hyundai can ask its customers in India (as its not a Honda).
Old 29th December 2008, 13:54   #130
BHPian

Called up Trident, Bangalore. They too had the Delhi prices, dont have OTR Bangalore as of now. The sales chap said he would get back with all details in sometime.

Till last week they kept telling me the i20 launch is slated for Jan Mid/End !
Old 29th December 2008, 14:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you there on the engine front. However, I think Hyundai is offering this price just due to the lower excise duty structure for small cars with less than 1200 cc engine (No thanks to our government's stupid taxation policy).

Had they bought in a bigger engine (which I would surely like) the pricing would have been closer to 7 lacs onroad, which I don't think Hyundai can ask its customers in India (as its not a Honda).
another point here. the verna (both petrol and diesel versions) are over and above the 7 Lac on road price point you mentioned.

the verna in both its petrol and diesel versions is the car thats likely to see more highway action, more likely to be used on family drives and is the one that has the potential to reach higher speeds.

The Verna however does not come with air bags even as an option. and the two lower end variants do not even have ABS and rear disc brakes.

anyone see the stupidity of this ?

a 1.2 engine propelled car bangs into a rickshaw in city at a speed of 15/30 kmph and boom....all airbags deploy. a 1.6/1.5 engine propelled car doing 110 on a two-lane highway goes head on into a truck and boom. end of story.

selective safety is bad. its even worse when the selection is inappropriate. this discrepancy reflects badly on hyundai. given that its not too long since the verna was launched, i wonder about the thought process and decision making by the powers that be at hyundai, when they were debating on the required safety margins of these cars. kind of underscores their attitude to safety. as in, "its not a corporate policy or committment, just another goodie than can be sold for a price".

still, i think its a good move. better something than nothing. safety features are always a good move.

again, having said that, i'd feel pretty stupid if i had just gone in for a verna.

Last edited by hell_rider : 29th December 2008 at 14:19.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:11   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
What more you get in i20 asta than swift zxi
1) electrlcally operated ORVM
2) Electric Folding ORVM
3) Cooled glove Box
4) Information Display
5) More Space

May be i may have missed few more, you pay more Rs 60,000.
A much better built car, maybe? I wouldnt mind that!
Old 29th December 2008, 14:14   #133
BHPian

very interesting (introductory) pricing by hyundai... so here's what seems to be happening--

Fabia 1.2 HTP Ambience is 5.8 Ex-showroom (i20 Asta(o) has side and curtain airbags, folding mirrors, climate and 10bhp extra, tho approx. same torque, less boot space)

Swift at 5.27 is nowhere in comparison in terms of trim/quality/space, but surely much better driver's car+its a maruti.

So whereas its bang on for the segment, i20 has faltered in interior colors, interior styling as well, and for buyers who know its the same engine as i10, is underpowered as well, tho getz had just 2bhp extra...

I think i20 can sell in india as hyundai will pitch the frugality of engine, but will have to bring down i10 prices and discontinue the getz (no one will buy it anyway, unless like accent, they make 1.5L cheaper, and even then it'll cannibalize i10 or i20).

So the potential good combination will be marred by internal competition and some cheap belief that indian's will buy anything beige/chrome!
Old 29th December 2008, 14:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Wow! They have gone ahead and launched the i20 with 5 cylinders and 45mm fuel tank!!! Way to go Hyundai!!!

The website is nowhere as brilliant as the car.

Welcome to Hyundai Motors India Limited

Alsom doesn't the steering look inspired by the Civic?

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 29th December 2008 at 14:21.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:18   #135
SuperSyn

What happens to Indica Vista sales now? The i20 is one of the most feature rich cars in India. And it has distinctive looks. It won't be confused with an old Getz from a distance.

Surely many customers will walk out of Tata showroom and go for i20?

More misery for Tata.

Most Viewed