Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 14:25   #136
BHPian

Plus some more space to boot
Old 29th December 2008, 14:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

5.82 lacs for the top end variant with the Kappa engine. How is that killer pricing?

Seems like Fiat and Hyundai have started a new trend. Launch the car with a pedestrian engine but load it up with features.

I don't see how a diesel would be 6.5 lacs. From what I know a bigger , more powerful petrol engine is on it's way. That should be priced at about Rs.6.5 Lacs. Diesel would then probably start at around Rs.7.2 and go upto to Rs.7.9lacs ex-showroom for the top end variant.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:27   #138
BHPian

nothing is going to happen to indica vista! top model of vista is priced almost 1 lac less then base version of i20.it is in different segment of hatchbacks all together.
it would be interesting to see how Punto is priced as it is bigger than i 20 and we are going to have excellent petrol and diesel engines serving it.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:27   #139
BANNED

This car seems to be aiming squarely at the Fabia, that's the only one that's going to be affected.
What's new besides 6 airbags!
Diesel from the start was necessary.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
What happens to Indica Vista sales now? The i20 is one of the most feature rich cars in India. And it has distinctive looks. It won't be confused with an old Getz from a distance.

Surely many customers will walk out of Tata showroom and go for i20?

More misery for Tata.
dunno about that. you are looking at entirely two different target customers. people who go into a TATA showroom go in for the benefits of a diesel primarily. these customers if looking for an alternative, will walk to the Swift DDiS.

i doubt that the i20 with the diesel option can be priced ay any price thats close to the Vista Quadrajet or the Swift DDiS. or perhaps if they strip it of *every single goodie*, like they did with the Getz CRDi.

i suspect indica petrol sales are not really that much of a number, to consider the possibility of the i20 petrol sales "adding to TATA's misery".
Old 29th December 2008, 14:34   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Called up Trident, Bangalore. They too had the Delhi prices, dont have OTR Bangalore as of now. The sales chap said he would get back with all details in sometime.
That is easy to calculate.

On Road price in Karnataka:
Magna : 4,79,900. (on road 5.56 lakhs)
Asta : 5,59,900. (on road 6.55 lakhs)
Asta (O) : 5,81,900. (on road 6.8 lakhs)
Old 29th December 2008, 14:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
What happens to Indica Vista sales now? The i20 is one of the most feature rich cars in India. And it has distinctive looks. It won't be confused with an old Getz from a distance.

Surely many customers will walk out of Tata showroom and go for i20?

More misery for Tata.
Indica Vista customers are unique and they will not be affected by the i20 launch at all.
If you are comparing the Saffire engine, the top end aura is less than 5 lacs on road in Bangalore and and i20 would be close to 6.8 lacs. Hence no comparo.

As far as the TDI & QJD are concerned they are diesel mate, and people would love highway driving would never go for the i20.

Pricewise Indica vista compares well with the i10. People who drive a lot would go for the diesel Indica vistas any day and people who need a car for city use or occassional once in a while use would go for the i10.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
dunno about that. you are looking at entirely two different target customers. people who go into a TATA showroom go in for the benefits of a diesel primarily. these customers if looking for an alternative, will walk to the Swift DDiS.

i doubt that the i20 with the diesel option can be priced ay any price thats close to the Vista Quadrajet or the Swift DDiS. or perhaps if they strip it of *every single goodie*, like they did with the Getz CRDi.

i suspect indica petrol sales are not really that much of a number, to consider the possibility of the i20 petrol sales "adding to TATA's misery".
Bingo!
The Xeta sales never set the charts on fire that Tata should be bothered with the launch of the i20.

All said and done about the killer pricing, and given the case of i10 where Hyundai launched a new variant less than 12 months from the launch, would make people cautious about the i20. And this is the primary reason why I am not keen on it either.

But given the goodies and the puny engine (atleast on paper), I guess its only the Fabia that is going to take the hit. The only reason why the Fabia even sold these numbers is the quality of the package. And i20 has almost matched the same.

Swift Zxi would take some hit, but then it aint really a showstopper for MSIL right ?
Old 29th December 2008, 14:45   #144
BHPian

Sweet Car

Sweet Car this one.
If the only difference between Asta(O) and Asta is the side and curtain airbags, i reckon Asta will be the top gunner and few safety minded people will go for Asta(O).

Nonetheless, hats off to Hyundai for bringing all this features into india in a sub 7lac car.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:57   #145
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, can we update the title to
I got it all (except a befitting engine)?
Old 29th December 2008, 15:11   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hmm, can we update the title to
I got it all (except a befitting engine)?
I don't get the point, why you people are behind the engine. Yes it might not be the best engine but does the Skoda Fabia have a better engine, not at all. We need to wait for Hyundai to come out with the best engines.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:17   #147
Senior - BHPian

Well as I said earlier that ridiculous pricing for a hatchback. Its been priced about the same as it is in UK inspite of the car being built here!
Hyundai has again outpriced themselves out of the competition. Robbing Indian consumer continues.... I just hope that this car turn out to be a biiiiig flop for Hyundai.
Also, for the price of base i20 you can get a fully loaded Indica Vista with the quadrajet diesel engine.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b View Post
I don't get the point, why you people are behind the engine. Yes it might not be the best engine but does the Skoda Fabia have a better engine, not at all. We need to wait for Hyundai to come out with the best engines.
yeah....and no one's raving about the fabia either. nor did it set the sales charts on fire.

in any case, there are many who believe the essence of the car is its engine. a car engine needs to be outright brilliant to the point of being impractical, or at the other extreme needs to be brilliantly practical.

gimme a decent engine in a reasonably sized and spaced body at a sensible price. me happy. rest of the bells and whistles i can always aftermarket.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:25   #149
BHPian

Thats why we have so many hatchbacks in every segment, its basically suit your self. You can choose from different flavours of pure mileage/thrill, to safe n sound and solidly built, to feature rich cars. Its all out there and finally is just a question of personal taste and requirements.

Slowly we find that hatchbacks with top notch safety features (like i20) are bridging the gap over sedans (eg: honda city) of yesteryears with no safety gadgets whatsoever.

And yes all of them have robbed us (if thats what you call it), they are there to make money, we like it or not. Its just business.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Well as I said earlier that ridiculous pricing for a hatchback. Its been priced about the same as it is in UK inspite of the car being built here!
Hyundai has again outpriced themselves out of the competition. Robbing Indian consumer continues.... I just hope that this car turn out to be a biiiiig flop for Hyundai.
Also, for the price of base i20 you can get a fully loaded Indica Vista with the quadrajet diesel engine.
IMO i dont think its a killer pricing. Hats off to Hyundai for the feature list. Maybe with the 1.4 petrol it would have been more VFM. Im not too convinced with the price for the 1.2 engine . I personally think Jazz when launched would kill the i20.

Most Viewed