Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 19:35   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
And it also has a button to put off the Co Passengers Airbag, hahaha LOLs
I think you didn't get my first post earlier. The Passenger Airbag Off button is there so that in case of an accident an airbag does not deploy in case a child seat is used - it would crush the baby in such a scenario.

NOT FUNNY!
Old 29th December 2008, 19:36   #197
Senior - BHPian

It amazes me how people are cribbing about the engine. I'm pretty sure Hyundai would like to plonk a higher capacity engine in the i20 but the tax regime in India prevents them. That is the reason all cars in this segment will come with a petrol engine not exceeding 1.2l. To compensate they are offering more features. The lower excise duty on small cars allows them to meet their target price and also offer more goodies.

We will see this trend across cars in this segment - low capacity petrol engines with class-topping features. It explains why the Verna may continue to be under-speced compared to the i20. It attracts the full brunt of the tax regime (40% of its total price AFAIK). The manufacturer cannot afford to offer features like the i20 in the Verna without pricing it above it's segment.

I personally don't think we'll get a more powerful petrol engine for the i20. A diesel not exceeding 1.5l is definitely on the cards because it stays within the government's small car definition. More powerful engines will simply make the car too expensive and then people will crib about the price. Maybe manufacturers can get around this by offering niche sports versions for enthusiasts that will sell in small volumes.

Let's celebrate the fact that the heavy tax regime on small cars is being lifted and we are finally getting more bang for the buck and features on par with the world.

Last edited by StarScream : 29th December 2008 at 19:38.
Old 29th December 2008, 19:47   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It amazes me how people are cribbing about the engine. I'm pretty sure Hyundai would like to plonk a higher capacity engine in the i20 but the tax regime in India prevents them. That is the reason all cars in this segment will come with a petrol engine not exceeding 1.2l. To compensate they are offering more features. The lower excise duty on small cars allows them to meet their target price and also offer more goodies.

We will see this trend across cars in this segment - low capacity petrol engines with class-topping features. It explains why the Verna may continue to be under-speced compared to the i20. It attracts the full brunt of the tax regime (40% of its total price AFAIK). The manufacturer cannot afford to offer features like the i20 in the Verna without pricing it above it's segment.

I personally don't think we'll get a more powerful petrol engine for the i20. A diesel not exceeding 1.5l is definitely on the cards because it stays within the government's small car definition. More powerful engines will simply make the car too expensive and then people will crib about the price. Maybe manufacturers can get around this by offering niche sports versions for enthusiasts that will sell in small volumes.

Let's celebrate the fact that the heavy tax regime on small cars is being lifted and we are finally getting more bang for the buck and features on par with the world.
I dont know why would you celebrate buying a car made in india for the world market but priced the same as well.
Do Hyundai give the same warranty as they do in UK? NO
Do they give you same safety features as 'standard'? NO
Do they have to pay salaries in pounds to their staff in India? NO
Do they have the same miscellaneous expenses as UK? NO

Then why is the car priced almost the same as in UK, its called robbing and I am not happy about it.
Old 29th December 2008, 19:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I think you didn't get my first post earlier. The Passenger Airbag Off button is there so that in case of an accident an airbag does not deploy in case a child seat is used - it would crush the baby in such a scenario.

NOT FUNNY!
Apart from this feature, I guess when driving alone, its better to switch off the PAB since replacement costs are high in case of deployment. The primary reason being child safety of course.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:02   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont know why would you celebrate buying a car made in india for the world market but priced the same as well.
Do Hyundai give the same warranty as they do in UK? NO
Do they give you same safety features as 'standard'? NO
Do they have to pay salaries in pounds to their staff in India? NO
Do they have the same miscellaneous expenses as UK? NO

Then why is the car priced almost the same as in UK, its called robbing and I am not happy about it.
Extreme, it's irrelevant what they charge in the UK. My point was, now thanks to lower taxes we are getting good features in the segment. That deserves to be celebrated. The i20 is not priced wildly above other cars in its segment - is it? What matters to a buyer are equivalent prices in the same market not what it costs in another country.
And by your logic every MNC car company is robbing Indians. The Civic comes with four airbags and much better warranty in the US and Canada as standard. So does the Corolla. The basic Accord in the US costs what they charge for a Civic here. Let's not even talk about the Camry. I could go on and on. It's not a very productive exercise. Varying factors govern features and prices in different markets.

Last edited by StarScream : 29th December 2008 at 20:05.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:09   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extreme, it's irrelevant what they charge in the UK. My point was, now thanks to lower taxes we are getting good features in the segment. That deserves to be celebrated. The i20 is not priced wildly above other cars in its segment - is it? What matters to a buyer are equivalent prices in the same market not what it costs in another country.
And by your logic every MNC car company is robbing Indians. The Civic comes with four airbags and much better warranty in the US and Canada as standard. So does the Corolla. The basic Accord in the US costs what they charge for a Civic here. Let's not even talk about the Camry. I could go on and on. It's not a very productive exercise. Varying factors govern features and prices in different markets.
And those in west always get a better deal... does that strike you somewhere?
Old 29th December 2008, 20:13   #202
BHPian

if you guys don't mind a silly Q.. does adding a turbo cost bomb and negate the advantage our tax structure gives? Would it make sense to add turbo to engines lesser than 1.2L and plonk them in cars like i20, aveo, GP etc. how adversely will it affect FE or any other things??
Old 29th December 2008, 20:15   #203
BHPian

Bulls eye

Quote:
And by your logic every MNC car company is robbing Indians. The Civic comes with four airbags and much better warranty in the US and Canada. So does the Corolla. The basic Accord in the US costs what they charge for a Civic here. Let's not even talk about the Camry. I could go on and on. It's not a very productive exercise.
I fully agree with this view. You are 100% correct.
I think we need more factual statements like these than just shooting out whatever you have in mind. Probably all members need to do a little bit of homework before posting messages.

I want to raise a point regarding the engine of the i20. The old Honda city Exi variants was around 77bhp engine and a weight which is more than i20. Well it sold very well, isnt it? So I feel that this engine is more suitable for our conditions, especially when fuel average is always a high priority in India & manufacturers need to keep their engine cc within the range specified for lower excise duty.

Lets drive the car and make our comments.
I feel its a very good car for all metro cities.

Uber cool.... Uber cruise!
Old 29th December 2008, 20:17   #204
BHPian

Quote:
can't really blame hyundai for that now, can we? its the same with every manufacturer as starscream correctly pointed out.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does and you are right. Therefore, even though the i20 sets a new benchmark for features in this segment in India at a competitve price - we shall stay grumpy.
Let's broaden the scope: Im also pissed off about the fact that incomes are a lot higher in the West than they are here. The injustice of it all!
Let's blame the i20 and Hyundai
Old 29th December 2008, 20:33   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
can't really blame hyundai for that now, can we? its the same with every manufacturer as starscream correctly pointed out.
Well you can take a stand if you want... if they want to be a premium brand here their choice, they have other choices too.
Two wrongs dont make a right.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:35   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does and you are right. Therefore, even though the i20 sets a new benchmark for features in this segment in India at a competitve price - we shall stay grumpy.
Let's broaden the scope: Im also pissed off about the fact that incomes are a lot higher in the West than they are here. The injustice of it all!
Let's blame the i20 and Hyundai
Competitive pricing is subjective. A 1.2 Lite hatchback priced at 5.82 lakhs ex-showroom delhi isnt competitive to me no matter how many air bags it has... they are not their for free anyways.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:22   #208
BHPian

Hey Extreme,

But i20 with 1,4 engine at around 6.2 lakhs would be amazing...
Old 29th December 2008, 21:40   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Competitive pricing is subjective. A 1.2 Lite hatchback priced at 5.82 lakhs ex-showroom delhi isnt competitive to me no matter how many air bags it has... they are not their for free anyways.
So for you a car is just a tin box + an engine?
Old 29th December 2008, 21:49   #210
BHPian

i dont think i20 would be sluggish even though it appears so paper. I say this with my experience TD'ing Vista Safire (petrol). for Safire, the 1.2 engine appears to weak for the large body, but its surprisingly driveable in city though it is not a zippy performer by any criteriea.

just like the Vista Safire, i20 too looks designed for sedate driving in the city, returning an FE of around 13 kmpl max. this is what the majority of the targeted customer segment cares about.

hopefully there would also be a zippier version for performance enthusiasts (like 1.1 and 1.3 Getz).

looks like Hyundai can now forget the non-performing Getz and bank on this one!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 29th December 2008 at 21:51.

Most Viewed