Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:50   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
The car is good overall. But I'm a bit a disappointed, what Hyundai have done is a give more options like ABD EBD and have compromised on the engine, i think they should have given a 1.4 engine.

The sales guy told that hyundai would take another year to launch the diesel version.
Dont worry, Hyundai might again do the khoka - engine mix and match business. You might also see a 1.1 litre I20, in as much likelihood as a 1.3 Getz engine I20.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:31   #302
BHPian

mini road test in UK website

Friends, I saw a test report of i20 in a UK website. They are also reporting that the car struggles over 60mph, but i'm not sure that the engine they tested is the same that we get in India.
Here is the link,
Mini road test with Ray Massey: The Hyundai i20 1.2 Classic Manual is a frisky little mover | Mail Online
Old 2nd January 2009, 19:57   #303
BHPian

Does anyone know the price of the car in chennai after the tax and registeration.
I am looking to get this car. Looks good. So can someone let me know
Old 2nd January 2009, 21:36   #304
BANNED

Quote:
The car is good overall. But I'm a bit a disappointed, what Hyundai have done is a give more options like ABD EBD and have compromised on the engine, i think they should have given a 1.4 engine.

The sales guy told that hyundai would take another year to launch the diesel version.
if they give a bigger engine, indians will crib that the car is giving horrible average which indians only care about.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:05   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
if they give a bigger engine, indians will crib that the car is giving horrible average which indians only care about.
There are cars which provide a good combination of two... the two dont have to be mutually exclusive all the time.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:17   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There are cars which provide a good combination of two... the two dont have to be mutually exclusive all the time.
which cars we talking about ? if NHC then people hate the shape, big engine good mileage agreed. i own 3 of them. all cars have flaws as simple as that. there is no car made perfect by manufacturers, we buy what is perfect for us.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:37   #307
BHPian

Quote:
when you talk about good combination of two i.e big engine and good mileage you are talking about diesel engine right!
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:09   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by okvinu View Post
Friends, I saw a test report of i20 in a UK website. They are also reporting that the car struggles over 60mph, but i'm not sure that the engine they tested is the same that we get in India.
Here is the link,
Mini road test with Ray Massey: The Hyundai i20 1.2 Classic Manual is a frisky little mover | Mail Online
The report also talks about 0-100 KMPH (0-60 MPH) around 13 seconds, which is not bad for a 1.2lt engine which gives around 19 KMPL is really good
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:09   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
extreme the only problem is that bigger engine owuld have meant no excise benefits passed on to customer (meaning almost 50-60k more in ex-showroom price) That would have pushed it into Aveo/Dzire range and people in India wont buy a hatch when a sedan is available for similar price!

You should blame the govt and not Hyundai for just a 1.2 engine.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:12   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the inverse rationale vis-a-vis the Getz, where they have offered the more powerful diesel variant without any safety features (ABS) and the less powerful petrol variant has the ABS as an option. It smacks of cutting costs, nothing else. The way I see it, at least offer your customers the option of paying more for a bigger engine and/or optional features. Some day. Some day.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:24   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
Then they should have launched the diesel variant first instead of petrol . I feel the car is gonna be slightly underpowered considering the weight of the car. I completely agree with KBK , and they have made abs standard for all the versions .
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:32   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
This is the inverse rationale vis-a-vis the Getz, where they have offered the more powerful diesel variant without any safety features (ABS) and the less powerful petrol variant has the ABS as an option. It smacks of cutting costs, nothing else. The way I see it, at least offer your customers the option of paying more for a bigger engine and/or optional features. Some day. Some day.
i totally agree with you. The kind of diesel engine getz have it should be mandatory for manufacturer to provide abs and airbags.
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:21   #313
BHPian

I just had a look at this car in Pune, and here are some early impressions.

(1) Of all colors, they had displayed White in the showroom -- bad choice.

(2) The dumb salesman there was pushing me to book it sooner, even without offering test ride. Very silly & uninformed salesman. Was trying to sell me on IPOD compatible, electric mirrors and all.

(3) The rear legroom is very, very small...at 5'6" -- I am not at all tall. But rear seat feel cramped, and not really generous to accommodate 3 comfortably. It is bigger than smaller cars, but not as good as Sedan.

(4) The Middle version costs 6.36 L on road in Pune, that is very, very expensive for a 1.2 Petrol car. I would be happy if it is at least cheaper by 40-50K. A 1.3 or 1.4 diesel could have justified this price - Hyundai has to rethink about pricing. It might do so after sales drop around March 2009. The base version costs 5.46 on road in Pune and top version is above 6.6L. You can consider Linea instead. You add 50 K or so and it could buy you SX4 as well.

(6) I like the car -- but it is not as "WOW" as people made it to be, maybe my aversion to White added to my impression.

I'd rather wait and watch for Ritz, or you may buy Swift instead!
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:37   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
(3) The rear legroom is very, very small...at 5'6" -- I am not at all tall. But rear seat feel cramped, and not really generous to accommodate 3 comfortably. It is bigger than smaller cars, but not as good as Sedan.
This is exactly its biggest flaw. A big area of concern for me! I really don't care about an underpowered engine since I'll be using it as an everyday runabout. But the lack of rear leg space on such a big car makes me think that I'll need to take out my dad's Honda City on friends night outs.

I wish they had pushed the seats back by another 3-4 inches. That boot is way too huge!!
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:37   #315
BHPian

manish i just want to add some more to the third point . You are there is absolutely no legroom in the back and if the front seat is fully back then it becomes even worse , there problem is the dash its big so it takes up space , because of this i think the legroom has been compromised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks