Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 11:57   #346
Senior - BHPian

All i can comfortably say is that i20 is going to be a big failure at this price range. They will increase the prices by at least 80K when they bring in a CRDI version, and at that money, you can buy many diesel sedans. 6.5 OTR for a petrol Hatch? - people would buy a diesel Sedan at cheaper prices!

After initial euphoria gets over, it should sell under 500 units, and go the way of Fabia & Getz.

Huyndai had the advantage of local production & 1.2 liter engine, too bad these aren't passed on to customers.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:04   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Should it not work the other way around ?
Yes but I mean at almost standstill like speed. At medium speeds the steering felt light (in city conditions). At high speed the control of the steering on the expressway was really good - almost civic like.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:08   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's actually not a bad thing. Between the i10 & i20, the Getz looks like a lost child. Plus, it isn't exactly selling like hot cakes either. I say : Give it the boot and plonk that awesome 1.5 diesel into the i20!
I think they should go for Accent way Stopping different models may be 1.3 petrol and keep 1.1 and Diesel. I think keeping diesel is good. this will promote i10 and i20

Last edited by aka_iitd : 5th January 2009 at 12:09.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:57   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Yes but I mean at almost standstill like speed. At medium speeds the steering felt light (in city conditions). At high speed the control of the steering on the expressway was really good - almost civic like.
Good to know, reppy. But almost Civic like, isn't that too much praise for an EPS unit
Old 5th January 2009, 14:52   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know, reppy. But almost Civic like, isn't that too much praise for an EPS unit
Yeah now that I think about it, maybe it is! Let's just say it was a good experience. cheers:
Old 5th January 2009, 15:06   #351
BHPian

Hyundai cars are generally not smooth on the ride quality - and from what I read, this has not been addressed in this car too!
Old 5th January 2009, 16:33   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure of the control, but the steering wheel is almost Civic like

Waiting for "tested and ripped" test drives now
Old 5th January 2009, 16:48   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Not sure of the control, but the steering wheel is almost Civic like

Waiting for "tested and ripped" test drives now
Well, I like the steering to be as pure/clean as possible, I am not much of an audiophile,I mostly stick to one station most of the time, so I dont want any more buttons than the horn on the steering.

Ripping off the Civic's steering only proves that it was a good design, something like Swift's steering being used in SX4 and A* and probably the upcoming Ritz as well.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:45   #354
BHPian

i20 is great to look at. Fit & finish is great. BUT without a diesel variant is the biggest drawback.
Old 5th January 2009, 20:10   #355
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the criticism of the i20 is a matter of perception. Will the Jazz with a 1.2 litre engine, similar if not lesser features and similar if not higher price tag get the same reception? Does the Hyundai get a bad rap just because it is a Hyundai?
Old 5th January 2009, 22:47   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Huyndai had the advantage of local production & 1.2 liter engine, too bad these aren't passed on to customers.
After looking at this I feel Fabia pricing somewhat convincing. as its CKD import.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:18   #357
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Does the Hyundai get a bad rap just because it is a Hyundai?
I actually love the new Hyundai and am a self-acknowledged fan of their awesome quality, striking designs & value proposition. I do think that the i10 is the best hatch today. That doesn't make me a blind fan, however. I can't digest a big hatch being powered by a 1.2 L engine with a price tag of near 7 lakhs.

Another point : How impressive will the fuel efficiency of the i20 really be? If history is anything to go by, big hatches powered by puny engines aren't exactly fuel efficient. Why? Simply because that li'l engine has to work really hard to move all that mass.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:46   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another point : How impressive will the fuel efficiency of the i20 really be? If history is anything to go by, big hatches powered by puny engines aren't exactly fuel efficient. Why? Simply because that li'l engine has to work really hard to move all that mass.
In case of I20, the FE will be almost as good as Swift petrol or better as far as city driving is concerned. Hyundai's 1.2 has better grunt in the lower end and coupled with lower gearing, it would be good for city, and can be compared to Swift petrol, but for highway driving, the engine will be working overtime and hence Swift will win here. Considering the price, IMO, I20 is a competitor to Fabia. Here it will I20 that will win.
Old 6th January 2009, 13:20   #359
BHPian

i came back from hyundai shoroom today. i20 asta was at display in white colour.
Its huge no doubt it! well the sales guy said higway avg. of i20 petrol to be around 16kmpl which is quite ok looking at sheer size and road presence of this car.
Premium hatch is a new segment in india and so far it has not generated good response but with i20 ,fabia already there and soon to be launched ritz , punto lets see how much indian mentality changes..
Old 6th January 2009, 13:32   #360
BHPian

Quote:
I actually love the new Hyundai and am a self-acknowledged fan of their awesome quality, striking designs & value proposition. I do think that the i10 is the best hatch today. That doesn't make me a blind fan, however. I can't digest a big hatch being powered by a 1.2 L engine with a price tag of near 7 lakhs.

Is that the on-road in Mumbai?

I don't think the engine was that bad. I was not putting any extra pressure on the accelerator during most of my test drive. The only place where I really pushed it was the expressway.

Overall its something I can live with. It gave me a much better feeling than the Fabia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks