Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 13:58   #361

Hi,

Sorry if this is slightly offtopic. If the govt gives tax sops for engines less than 1200CC, then how come the swift with 1300CC is much cheaper? or is it like the govt changed policies after the launch of swift?

Ashvin
Old 6th January 2009, 14:10   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshvinKumar View Post
If the govt gives tax sops for engines less than 1200CC, then how come the swift with 1300CC is much cheaper? or is it like the govt changed policies after the launch of swift?
The government has not changed any rule as of now. Each and every car maker has its own pricing strategy and also price is affected by many reasons. Hyundai cars specially the I series are expensive than Maurti cars and in fact I10 and I20 are replacements for Santro and Getz internationally. Here the manufacturer has to price accordingly to leave space between the earlier generation cars.

Pricing, is a complicated matter and depends on many, many varied aspects.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th January 2009 at 14:12.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:15   #363
BHPian

There are many many people in Indian metros who travel 20-50km to their workplace on daily basis without big luggage.

They can easily afford sedan or expensive cars but Great Indian traffic + parking problem gives them a headache.

If they go for small cars alto , santro , wagon R then they have to sacrifice on the image part. Also these kind of small hatches do not offer all the gizmoz's that a normal higher level sedan offers.

For these people , they do not need 0-100 seconds spec , but for them mileage definitely matters as majority of the time will be spent in band of 20 - 40 Km/Hr thanks to traffic , road conditions.

For such kind of customers Fabia was the only option which is horribally overpriced , and whose engine refinement is better than TaFFE tractor engine.

i20 is coming as answer for this problem. If this car would have Honda/ toyota batch then it can be instant hit.

This car can even sell with 1.2 ltr engine , but problem will be the Hyundai badge.

So 1.2 ltr engine is not problem , hyundai not being a premium is a problem.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:02   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post

This car can even sell with 1.2 ltr engine , but problem will be the Hyundai badge.

This was Hyundai's problem in US too. But thats surely changing, especially after they have come up with the Sonata, Santa Fe, Entourage, their Alabama plant, warranty etc.

After all "Badges" are for scouts.... aren't they?
Old 6th January 2009, 15:10   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
There are many many people in Indian metros who travel 20-50km to their workplace on daily basis without big luggage.

They can easily afford sedan or expensive cars but Great Indian traffic + parking problem gives them a headache.

If they go for small cars alto , santro , wagon R then they have to sacrifice on the image part. Also these kind of small hatches do not offer all the gizmoz's that a normal higher level sedan offers.

For these people , they do not need 0-100 seconds spec , but for them mileage definitely matters as majority of the time will be spent in band of 20 - 40 Km/Hr thanks to traffic , road conditions.

For such kind of customers Fabia was the only option which is horribally overpriced , and whose engine refinement is better than TaFFE tractor engine.

i20 is coming as answer for this problem. If this car would have Honda/ toyota batch then it can be instant hit.

Yes that's somewhat even I was thinking and wanted to write down, you got it exactly right, And on top of it, I think people are complaining too much without having a Test drive of the car, just because its 1.2L 80bhp,but the real picture would only clear after the TD.

Also, who gets cooled glove box, electrical retractable ORVMs ( they are serious help for people like me who only use ORVM when parking in tight space, as generally I dont use left ORVM) , beige interiors, adjustable steering wheel ( even my NHC doesnt have telescopic adjustment ) and many other features in a hatchback. I think Hyundai is also commanding some premium for the exclusivity, and i20 Asta sounds perfect for people who wanted a better built car and with loads of features.

As hrishig mentioned who will really buy this car, I think 1 more category of people would really look forward buying are people who were considering Swift Zxi for features and not its engine.

Last edited by inferno : 6th January 2009 at 15:11.
Old 6th January 2009, 17:31   #366
BHPian

count me into that 1. The test drive I did wasn't so enticing that it would push me to book one (though the overall car+features were!), nor was it so bad that it would deter me from booking one. I'm seriously considering the white color

BTW - I don't think the engine capacity has anything to do with the perceived value of the car. If the same 1.2 had been developing even remotely close to 90 bhp akin to Honda's 1.2 i-VTEC, I'm sure nobody here would be complaining. I so wish Hyundai had installed CVVT (or VTVT as they call it here) in the kappa!
Old 6th January 2009, 17:58   #367
Senior - BHPian

You mean 1.5 i-VTEC and 115BHP?
Old 6th January 2009, 18:04   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You mean 1.5 i-VTEC and 115BHP?
No. I mean 90 bhp 1198cc i-VTEC newly developed for the upcoming Jazz. It has already been launched in most parts of the world and will be launched in India as well.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:30   #369
Senior - BHPian

Ah ha! I didn't look up the Jazz's specs at all. My bad.
Old 6th January 2009, 19:59   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can't digest a big hatch being powered by a 1.2 L engine with a price tag of near 7 lakhs.
OK, using the same logic, will you be happier with a 1.2l 90bhp Honda Jazz?
The point I've been trying to make here is - we are going to get a number of big hatchbacks with 1.2l petrol engines because of the way government policy is. There's not much we or the manufacturer can do about it. At least we've started to get international level of kit in this category. And the i20 has a very impressive feature list. We should pat Hyundai on the back for that (BTW I hold no brief for them).
As I've said earlier in this thread, the only way I see around this issue is for companies like Honda and Hyundai to introduce sports versions with higher capacity engines for the enthusiast crowd. These cars will be priced on par with cars a category above and will sell in small numbers.

Last edited by StarScream : 6th January 2009 at 20:00.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:09   #371
Senior - BHPian

@StarScream - because Honda charges a premium, you are expecting Hyundai also to charge a premium? Well they might like to think so - lets see how it works in practice (i think they have already seen it with Sonata though).

This doesn't mean that i support Honda in charging a premium. Like GTO mentioned, even Honda is feeling it in Civic sales.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:12   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
@StarScream - because Honda charges a premium, you are expecting Hyundai also to charge a premium? Well they might like to think so - lets see how it works in practice (i think they have already seen it with Sonata though).

This doesn't mean that i support Honda in charging a premium. Like GTO mentioned, even Honda is feeling it in Civic sales.
But why we do we think Hyundai is charging a premium? The top-end i20 has a very exhaustive feature list and I think you are paying for that. I'd like to see the feature list of the Indian Jazz - I can bet it will be priced similar to the i20 but with lesser features. Then, perhaps, the i20 will look like a good deal!
Old 7th January 2009, 11:38   #373
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
OK, using the same logic, will you be happier with a 1.2l 90bhp Honda Jazz?
Whoa! You put me in a spot there . Let me point out that the Linea, a C segment premium'ish sedan, is also hitting the showrooms with a 1.3L. However, the power rating of 90 BHP hasn't got anyone (me included) complaining. To answer your question, I have as much a problem with the 1.2L engine as with the 80 HP rating. A premium hatch is supposed to be premium in every sense! What's the point if it offers sub-par highway performance?

Quote:
The point I've been trying to make here is - we are going to get a number of big hatchbacks with 1.2l petrol engines because of the way government policy is.
Sure. But that doesn't mean cars over 1.3L cannot be competitively priced (just ask M Swift). On the other hand, the i20 has shown us that even tax benefits do not relate to a competitive price.

Quote:
for companies like Honda and Hyundai to introduce sports versions with higher capacity engines for the enthusiast crowd.
And price it at what? 8 lakhs? I am asking for a better engine at the same existing price.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:02   #374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure. But that doesn't mean cars over 1.3L cannot be competitively priced (just ask M Swift). On the other hand, the i20 has shown us that even tax benefits do not relate to a competitive price.
Rightly said, GTO! i20 is overpriced by atleast Rs 50,000.
Old 7th January 2009, 15:33   #375
Senior - BHPian

I was excited for the i20 launch. All excitement got killed with no CRDI offered and petrol is overpriced.If we want this engine why not buy the i10 which IMO is a good car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks