Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 16:36   #376
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
with no CRDI offered and petrol is overpriced.
That's the problem! With such a high-priced 1.2 variant, what room have they left for diesel? Taking the trademark 1.0 lac premium for a diesel, we are looking at 7.5 lakhs for a diesel i20
Old 7th January 2009, 16:48   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Taking the trademark 1.0 lac premium for a diesel, we are looking at 7.5 lakhs for a diesel i20
And I am sure Hyundai will knock off features like ACC, side curtain bags and electric folding rear view mirrors. Hopefully, they will keep ABS and 2 airbags in the top end diesel this time.
Old 7th January 2009, 17:36   #378
Senior - BHPian

I think that they will take their own time to come up with crdi I20. They have not discontinued Getz, so mostly the diesel duty will remain with Getz. If they come up with a diesel I20, then it will also be in proximity to Verna crdi. The difference between I20 and Verna will remain approx. Rs. 1 lakh. Considering this, the I20 diesel is a dream as of now. In case of Verna, Hyundai was sincere for diesel engine option ( IMO ) so they came up with diesel from day one, but this is not the case with I20. They have the engine unlike 1.2 kappa that was under development, but they are not making it available right now.
Old 7th January 2009, 17:43   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the problem! With such a high-priced 1.2 variant, what room have they left for diesel? Taking the trademark 1.0 lac premium for a diesel, we are looking at 7.5 lakhs for a diesel i20
Bang on! Now why would i buy an i20 diesel hatchback at 7.5 lacs when i can get a much better featured sedan in Linea at 8-9lacs!
Somehow fail to understand Hyundai strategy
Old 7th January 2009, 18:01   #380
Senior - BHPian

After days of reading through this thread I'll nervously add my newbie comments.
The car's looks and features are killer!
The pricing suffers from the fact that Hyundai has too many cars (hatches) jammed in the Rs 3- 7 lac range and quite a few variants in each model and hence with need to sell all of them (?) and trying to avoid large overlaps the i20 has ended up being the priciest.
Santro -> i10 - > Getz -> i20 (and the accent and the verna!)
The ideal model to compare the i20 to is the Chevrolet U-VA - both are approximately the same size, same engine size.
If you compare the UVA 1.2LS version with the i20 base model, The UVA seems cheaper but the i20 has more features (including CD player, more adjustments for steering, rear defogger, tachometer and a few more frills extra and the difference works out about 40-50K)
If the base model of i20 was a few 1000 rupees lesser (it would clash with the Getz pricing) it would have been a killer!!
Budget conscious people would not opt for the i20.
Power conscious people would think of the Swift.
People who need a spacious good looking car with Hundai kind of service and features would go for the i20.
I bought a U-VA a few months ago and the i20 launch initially made me sit up and rethink - but now I'm happy with my choice.
If Hyundai had a cheaper base i20 version without the add-ons( a base version with no tacho, no defogger, etc) this kind of base model could have attracted people with budget restrictions.
The high end model definitely looks very attractive for the sake of safety for its price.
Old 7th January 2009, 18:03   #381
BHPian

Went to showroom and checked out the i20. Looked very thoughtfully made. But the car is overpriced and may go the getz way (low sales).

Cheers
MK
Old 7th January 2009, 18:14   #382
BANNED

Engine is an integral part of a car, Hyundai hasn't given the right push under the hood. i10 Kappa would be sufficient for most who want the same 1.2L engine.
Maruti plays this engine game pretty well, but Hyundai is no way near. Diesel which a must these days to even evoke minimal of the passions, is sorely a big miss in i20. I fear i20 might have to share its fate with Getz.
Hyundai is not the preferred choice among premium category, it should have aimed for Swift squarely.
Fabia still managed to hog some amount of lime tight, maybe due to the fact that Skoda kind off celebrated its premiumness. Hyundai is most probably going to discover itself in a no mans land, all due to pricing hotchpotch!
Old 7th January 2009, 18:14   #383
Senior - BHPian

7.5lac OTR with some gimmicks should be ok.

Honda need to check on their quality in India as was pointed out by many who check out ANHC.

There are some who will opt out of Suzuki coz of their build quality.

Benji, will wait for others to comment.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:17   #384
BHPian

I remember reading somewhere that they were targetting only 20k in sales per year with the i20 , I think they will be satisfied with even 75% of that as long as the car sells well outside India.

Unlike the Kappa engine the diesel one is sure to be imported and so it will be the Getz doing the duty for atleast next six months, plus this 1.5 CRDI is also probably going out of fashion with the new 1.4 and 1.6 CRDIs being launched in world markets-India.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:45   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Engine is an integral part of a car, Hyundai hasn't given the right push under the hood. i10 Kappa would be sufficient for most who want the same 1.2L engine.
Maruti plays this engine game pretty well, but Hyundai is no way near. Diesel which a must these days to even evoke minimal of the passions, is sorely a big miss in i20. I fear i20 might have to share its fate with Getz.
Hyundai is not the preferred choice among premium category, it should have aimed for Swift squarely.
Fabia still managed to hog some amount of lime tight, maybe due to the fact that Skoda kind off celebrated its premiumness. Hyundai is most probably going to discover itself in a no mans land, all due to pricing hotchpotch!
You just hit the nail on the head, now that the dust has settled down and i think about the i20 i feel my SWIFT is a better VFM proposition - good power, mileage, strongest after sales network, relatively cheaper spares and to top it up very reliable. A car is 70% engine/performance and 30% other goodies. So the engine should to be the first 'Premium' part of a premium hatchback and not the last.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:09   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! You put me in a spot there . Let me point out that the Linea, a C segment premium'ish sedan, is also hitting the showrooms with a 1.3L. However, the power rating of 90 BHP hasn't got anyone (me included) complaining. To answer your question, I have as much a problem with the 1.2L engine as with the 80 HP rating. A premium hatch is supposed to be premium in every sense! What's the point if it offers sub-par highway performance?
As long as that thought stays consistent when Honda plonks a 1.2l in their premium hatch.

Quote:
Sure. But that doesn't mean cars over 1.3L cannot be competitively priced (just ask M Swift). On the other hand, the i20 has shown us that even tax benefits do not relate to a competitive price.
Im not sure we can compare the Swift with the i20. For the simple reason that the i20 is a much bigger car. The Swift is great for two people the i20 will take a family and their luggage with ease.
What the i20 has shown is that thanks to the excise cut you can now get more features. So here is the toss up for a manufacturer - go with a bigger engine and skimp on the features or go with the 1.2 and max out the features. If that is the case, Suzuki and Hyundai are following different strategies.

Quote:
And price it at what? 8 lakhs? I am asking for a better engine at the same existing price.
8 lakhs - only if they offer the same level of kit. My guess is they won't so the higher excise and bigger engine will be compensated for by lesser features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bang on! Now why would i buy an i20 diesel hatchback at 7.5 lacs when i can get a much better featured sedan in Linea at 8-9lacs!
Somehow fail to understand Hyundai strategy
There is a lot of assumptiom in this thread about many things - power, performance and pricing.
Aren't you comparing a top-end i20 with a base Linea - if it is priced at that level? For some people the Linea may be a better buy and for others the i20. By your logic why buy a top-end Swift for 5lakhs plus when you can get a base Ford Ikon for the same or less?

There may be parallels between the i20 and the NHC, based this time on my assumptions. The NHC was underpowered, over-priced, crappy on the highway but sold like crazy for other attributes like space and fuel efficiency. Let's not condemn the i20 before we know more about it.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th January 2009 at 20:11.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:25   #387
Senior - BHPian

The steering of the i20 is highly improved like in the i10 and power is adequzate. The car performs better at high speed.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:28   #388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Im not sure we can compare the Swift with the i20.

There may be parallels between the i20 and the NHC, based this time on my assumptions. The NHC was underpowered, over-priced, crappy on the highway but sold like crazy for other attributes like space and fuel efficiency. Let's not condemn the i20 before we know more about it.
Over-expectation and dreams of a Hyundai fan!!!

He dreams of Hyundai having the brand image of a Honda too!!!
Old 7th January 2009, 21:51   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Over-expectation and dreams of a Hyundai fan!!!

He dreams of Hyundai having the brand image of a Honda too!!!
Dont be such a cynic man. Now Koreans are seriously overtaking everyone else!
Already Samsung is the No.1 electronics company in the world. Even in RnD they are leading others by huge margins.
Probably the era of Americans and Europeans is coming to a close... Its the century of us Asians (and I think Koreans will lead us in technology space...) And Japs are going to suffer massively if US ecomony doesnt improve soon enough.
Old 7th January 2009, 22:54   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post
Went to showroom and checked out the i20. Looked very thoughtfully made. But the car is overpriced and may go the getz way (low sales).
IMO probably Hyundai is not concerned with i20’s numbers in India.

Anyways they are making it in a large quantity to export so kind of a favor for us that they launched it here.

If it does well then balle balle & if not, anyways they are shipping it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks