Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 23:13   #391
BHPian

Engine update!

Hi Guys

My ever reliable source confirmed that both i20 1.4 Petrol and 1.4 diesel are going to be out NOT earlier than June 09!

Elito
Old 7th January 2009, 23:25   #392
BHPian

Just 1 sugesstion to Hyundai... Don't change anything in i20 , keep everything as it is including the price EXCEPT making a single change, take the Getz CRDi engine and put it in i20
Old 8th January 2009, 00:10   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
IMO probably Hyundai is not concerned with i20’s numbers in India.

Anyways they are making it in a large quantity to export so kind of a favor for us that they launched it here.

If it does well then balle balle & if not, anyways they are shipping it out.
Yes thats true, but diesel may change the game altogether.

It is a good car, no doubt about that, only trouble - ENGINE.

Cheers
MK
Old 8th January 2009, 00:40   #394
Senior - BHPian

Just one Q for all who complain about the engine (even I would have preferred the 1.4 in the i20). How does this car compare to the 77 hp old city in terms of driving dynamics and highway cruising.

I assume the 77hp city was successful because of its luxurious interiors (compared to the old City) and good space in the cabin and the HONDA badge. It had adequate torque for city driving too. If that car can be such a success including numerous Thpians buying it, then by that philosophy i20 seems decent.
Old 8th January 2009, 00:40   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi Guys

My ever reliable source confirmed that both i20 1.4 Petrol and 1.4 diesel are going to be out NOT earlier than June 09!

Elito
They are waiting for the BJP to come into power and change the rules of the game ?
Old 8th January 2009, 00:55   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
8 lakhs - only if they offer the same level of kit. My guess is they won't so the higher excise and bigger engine will be compensated for by lesser features.
I don't think that would work today. What they did with the Getz CRDi was a mistake. If they launch a i20 with say a 1.4, 100bhp(?) petrol - a potential buyer would expect all the goodies on offer in the less powerful 1.2 Kappa version.

In that sense, I believe what Skoda did with the Fabia 1.4 MPI was sensible - they have a fully loaded variant since it is a more powerful and hence a more expensive car (An entirely different matter that I was not very impressed with the 1.4 MPI engine or the Fabia pricing, in general).

Quote:
My ever reliable source confirmed that both i20 1.4 Petrol and 1.4 diesel are going to be out NOT earlier than June 09
This thread would have run into several hundred pages by then - all that we seem to be discussing nowadays is the engine or the lack of it .

Last edited by CBlazer : 8th January 2009 at 00:57.
Old 8th January 2009, 08:25   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There may be parallels between the i20 and the NHC, based this time on my assumptions. The NHC was underpowered, over-priced, crappy on the highway but sold like crazy for other attributes like space and fuel efficiency. Let's not condemn the i20 before we know more about it.
Well, NHC & i20 wont just compare...
  1. NHC was a Honda, i20 is a Hyundai. Big difference in India (as of now, at least)
  2. NHC was a Sedan and i20 is not. Please check how premium petrol hatchbacks above 6L are doing in India (Getz,SRV,Fusion,Fabia)
  3. NHC was very fuel efficient. I doubt if i20 would come anywhere near that
Old 8th January 2009, 09:02   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

Elito
Elito11 1.4L DOHC... 100 bhp CVVT ? killer killer killer

UK website shows 1.4L DOHC, 99 BHP CVVT, 137 nm torque @ 4200 rpm. Hope they will plonk in this engine only.

Last edited by Gangsta : 8th January 2009 at 09:22.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:38   #399
BHPian

Cool down guys. Almost evrybody knows that inspite of being great feature car this car will not sell like hot cakes. We WILL see discount of 20-30k in this car after few months. After that then it car be considered for purchasing.

At least we should thank hyundai for offering such features on indian road in price reange below 10lkh. ( power closing mirrors , cooler glove box , etc etc)

Thy problem with hyundai at the same time they try to become comman man brand against maruti ( e.g santro ) and then they also try be premium brand ( Getz , Sonata )

May be they can follow the honda toyota path of creating two diffrent brands.

i. low end ;-> honda , toyota , ( Hyundai old brand santo getz etc )
ii high end -> Accura , Lexus ( Hyundai new brand i10 , i20 etc etc)
Old 8th January 2009, 10:22   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

Elito
Its too late. By then we will have Splash also in both petrol and diesel versions. Lets hope that Maruti does not play havoc as far as pricing goes.
June is too late and as far as diesels go, the 1.5 ltr engine will ensure the tax benefits/concessions, so I dont think that they are coming up with 1.4 diesel.

I am already wondering about pricing of 1.4 petrol as it will attract more tax.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:34   #401
BHPian

Also it seems the 1.4 Petrol will arrive earlier than the 1.4 Diesel.

The reason for the delay is being engine shortage. However what i don't get is why did they not plonk the 1.5 crdi in the i20? offcourse its less fuel efficient than the new 1.4 crdi but then a little tuning/remapping would have diffrentiated i20 from Verna (the probable reason) and helped the i20 sales!!

Bad move i'd say

Elito
Old 8th January 2009, 12:57   #402
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As long as that thought stays consistent when Honda plonks a 1.2l in their premium hatch.
Mine mostly do. Thank you for asking. And for the record, don't for a moment assume I am a Honda fanboy. Search through the archives of this forum and you will probably see as much of respect for Hyundai as for Honda. Like I said, it is not only the small capacity but also the BHP rating that is insufficient. 80 BHP powering 1066 kg is like a power to weight of 75 BHP / Ton. Certainly not premium hatch standards. Honestly, I see another Skoda Fabia in the making. Atleast, from the buyers perspective, the Skoda has a premium badge.

Quote:
Im not sure we can compare the Swift with the i20.
No one is. The point was made to illustrate that a car, even without 1.2 L tax benefits, can be priced well.

Quote:
8 lakhs - only if they offer the same level of kit.
That's exactly the point. With such a high price for the 1.2, what room have they left for a 1.4 L petrol & a diesel? We are well acquainted with the success (or lack of) for 8 lakh rupee hatchbacks in our market. Good luck, Hyundai. Looks like you are gonna need it for the i20.

Quote:
There may be parallels between the i20 and the NHC, based this time on my assumptions. The NHC was underpowered, over-priced, crappy on the highway but sold like crazy for other attributes like space and fuel efficiency.
Looking for a parallels between the NHCs success & the i20's potential is entirely illogical. Here is why:

1. Honda versus Hyundai. Brand equity counts, whether we like it or not.

2. The i20 is amongst the most expensive hatchbacks. The NHC, on the other hand, was a sedan priced at a smaller premium over its competition. But it wasn't the most expensive C segment sedan.

3. The acceptability for an 8 lakh rupee sedan was (and is) far stronger than that for a 7 lakh rupee hatchback.

4. The NHC sold because of the H badge, successful "City" brand name, phenomenal fuel efficiency, fantastic interiors & all-round practicality. The i20, again, has a premium positioning, not the roomiest backseat and will not be the most fuel-efficient hatch (by a mile).

Quote:
Bring 'em on! That's more like it. Concerns only revolve around the pricing strategy.

P.S. Korean (petrol) horses have traditionally not performed as strongly as their Jap / European counterparts. Just ask the Accent, Verna, Elantra and to an extent, the Sonata.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2009 at 13:00.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:10   #403
BHPian

Quote:

Im not sure we can compare the Swift with the i20. For the simple reason .... The Swift is great for two people .
This is a news to me.

-Sanjubaba
Old 8th January 2009, 13:20   #404
BHPian

I don't get it - everyone who's commenting here on underpowered-for-the-price or performance has not test driven it. Please see my test drive comments - this car is not bad to drive. And for those who feel its underpowered - it is not so bad that it would deter a normal city driving oriented person from booking one - its a much better deal than the Fabia 1.2 Ambiente for someone who's looking for a premium hatch. And why can't Hyundai sell a premium hatch? They're giving you a car which is better built than a Swift ZXI for 40k more and with more features also. And before you comment on this, I request you to seriously check out the thickness of swift doors, sound proofing, interior space, features, plastics quality, visibility etc. In ALL of these areas, the i20 beats the Swift hands down, at a 10% premium in price with a 5-10% dip in performance versus a ZXI - that is NOT bad at all! Take it from a guy who's test driven it.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:19   #405
BHPian

When its time for 1.4L engine, Maybe and just maybe, Hyundai might trim/scaledown the current features and plonk this 1.2L engine and name the models as D-lite, Era, Magna and come out with reduced prices for i20. This would give them room to plonk the 1.4L engine and rename the current models as Sportz and Asta with little or no hike in prices. (i10 way).

Most Viewed