Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 02:19   #61
ACS
BHPian

Re: Which diesel car has the best in-cabin noise insulation (<10 lacs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Among all the hatches i20 crdi has got the quietest cabin which is difficult to judge as diesel car when in the back seat.
Truly said! Even I think so, its difficult to judge whether we are sitting in a diesel hatch or not! The insulation is so perfect and we feel just like a petrol noise inside. Hyundai cars are great in this matter.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:39   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Among all the hatches i20 crdi has got the quietest cabin which is difficult to judge as diesel car when in the back seat.

Fiesta tdci is also very silent inside. Swift,dzire and Ertiga are pretty good as well.

I think new gen Tata cars like Vista and Manza have got good insulation compared to what it was with previous gen Tatas.
I second that. Especially, on the highways, I20 diesel is very very refined. Its hard to make out its a oil burner under its hood !
Old 20th February 2013, 11:24   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I second that. Especially, on the highways, I20 diesel is very very refined. Its hard to make out its a oil burner under its hood !
+1 to that. The iGen i20 is even better than the old one (I've driven both). And whatever little noise manages to filter through to the cabin is only when you rip the engine past its juicy zone.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Check out the newly launched VISTA D-90.
Recently test drove one for almost a day (dealer was a friend of mine) and was very, very impressed with the low NVH levels.

Even at 100+ speeds, the cabin remained impressively quiet with a remarkable lack of mechanical, wind and road noise. Also the suspension works very quietly, without any audible thumps and clunks

Definitely a worthy contender for the "quietest diesel hatch below Rs 10lakh" trophy!
arjab is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 12:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

How about Mahindra Xylo? With AC, it is as silent as anyone else. In fact you thinks is it surely a diesel vehicle or not. I find its insulation to be very good for that kind of vehicle in that price range. Its one of the best for sure.
Old 20th February 2013, 13:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fiesta tdci is also very silent inside. Swift,dzire and Ertiga are pretty good as well.
True about i20 especially the refreshed version. Forget the back seat, there was no noise even from the front seat as well

I think the fiestas get progressively louder as they age. I have noticed this with my in-law's fiesta. Maybe its just our car but I dont think it has aged very well.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:44   #67
BHPian

I had undergone test drives of almost all diesel babies < 10 L on road. The most silent and smooth kid in my opinion is next gen i20. In normal scenarios its difficult for a person with average hearing abilities to get the engine noise inside the cabin and hardly you feel any vibrations. In stand still, provided you don't look at the console, its hard to recognize whether the car is on or off. While driving, if you play the music next to 'whisper smooth' volume, you can't hear any noise from 90 horses under the hood.
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:45   #68
bkc
BHPian

Sorry for bumping, which car has best cabin insulation in the current market, with less than 10 lacs ex-showroom.
Definitely not swift, the engine sound comes along with ac compressor, tyre and wind noise too.
any other options ? What about figo or nexon?

Last edited by bkc : 22nd December 2017 at 13:46. Reason: sentence error.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:17   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Sorry for bumping, which car has best cabin insulation in the current market, with less than 10 lacs ex-showroom.
Definitely not swift, the engine sound comes along with ac compressor, tyre and wind noise too.
Hyundai i20 I'd fathom - Hyundai's have a way of making very quiet and refined cars: Verna, Creta, etc. all have class leading NVH so don't expect the i20 to be far behind on this department.
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:02   #70
BANNED

I would like to ask the exact criteria, is it the least engine noise in cabin or the overall insulation?

Because if its only engine noise you are concerned, then Hyundai cars take the cake. The i20 and Verna are the best in that regard. But if the overall sound isulation is concerned, then the Ecosport has a lot of it, and you do feel very isolated from the rest of the surroundings and the good ICE also helps even if put on at a very low volume.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I think Creta base variant is 9.99. Although that's the same engine as i20. Unless you want the taller vehicle, i20 mid variant might be more loaded.
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:55   #72
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But if the overall sound isulation is concerned, then the Ecosport has a lot of it, and you do feel very isolated from the rest of the surroundings and the good ICE also helps even if put on at a very low volume.
Overall cabin noise like optra magnum, quiter inside, inspite of loud engine outside.
Can the same be expected from figo , as EcoSport has the same engine?
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:02   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Overall cabin noise like optra magnum, quiter inside, inspite of loud engine outside.
The 1.5 TDCi is refined and decent for a diesel, but I'm not sure how good Figo's noise insulation is. I haven't spent a lot of time in it, but I reckon it is a step below the Ecosport, thats what I figured from a short test drive.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving a Aspire diesel for 8k kms now and it's my first diesel
Regarding engine noise insulation, it is one of the better ones. It cannot be compared to a Hyundai diesel, but at highway speeds, it's not annoying at all and has a nice thrum.
It is only at certain rpms that it can get loud, but again not irritating.
It's way quieter than the old gen Figo too.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

The Lodgy that I drove previously was one of the quietest MPVs in the market and I thought I had the best. Then came the i20 diesel to my garage. This hatch has taken noise insulation to the next level! The i20's NVH has pampered me so much that I cannot think of another car to recommend in this price range. Looking back my noise insulation has progressively gotten better with my later purchases.

Beginning with the noisiest to the least that I have now:
Swift > Ertiga > Lodgy > i20.

Also, the i20 mid-spec falls below the 10 lac bracket.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed