Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2005, 14:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Spotted: "NEW" Tata Safari

We have been reading about it for a long time now. The "new" Tata Safari is long overdue, and there is a loyal group of people eagerly awaiting what is arguably India's most comfortable cross country tourer!

Well, I finally saw it! On my way back from Pune today, pulling up at the final toll booth on the expressway and there it was ahead of me.

At first I didn't give it a second glance as it looked exactly like a regular Safari, albeit one that had its badges covered. But, what got my eye was a sign in the rear window that read "Caution, left hand drive". Still didn't think too much of it as I figured it was an export model. Although I didn't know they actually made left hand drive versions.

However, as I pulled alongside, the interiors looked different. As I was in my car, I couldn't really see much, just the top of the dashboard, but it was enough to see that the design of the dash has changed, and the materials used were of a much higher standard. This was something that was surely needed in the old Safari.

The rear and side profile look identical to the existing safari, and the headlights are unchanged. But, as with all Indian makeovers, there is now a new grill to validate the "all new" status of the car! Basically a black rectangular mesh similar to what is in the current Indica, with a thin chrome border around it. It really failed to gel with the lights and the large stance of the Safari. The front bumper was new as well with a different air dam and fog lights, but again, not designed keeping in mind the macho image of this large SUV.

So, it seem's Tata took the easy way out and just added a few new plastic parts to the exterior to extend the life of the Safari. How long before they come out with a proper, ground up all new design is anyone's guess.
Old 18th April 2005, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
But, what got my eye was a sign in the rear window that read "Caution, left hand drive". Still didn't think too much of it as I figured it was an export model. Although I didn't know they actually made left hand drive versions.
You can see LHD Safaris in the middle east, south africa, nigeria, spain, and some other places.

Also a very butch-looking tatamobile called the "Telcoline" with a raised suspension, plenty of add-on plastic on the sides and a slightly aggressive look. That one comes with the Safari's turbocharged engine, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 18th April 2005, 15:56   #3
BHPian

Just hope the engine and gear boxes are a bit better than the old safari. But why would they be testing a LHD safari here in India? I think that must be a export modl only being transported or ferried back from somewhere. Doesnt make sense to me unless Tata just decided to plonk the new engine in one of the export models... Or they are trying to exprt the car to some sunny countries like Brazil and thought testing here would be sufficient?
Old 18th April 2005, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing a convoy of LHD Tata Safaris heading towards the docks for export, I suppose. They had those huge Police lights on the roofs with doors coloured white and the remaining body green in colour.
Old 18th April 2005, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
I remember seeing a convoy of LHD Tata Safaris heading towards the docks for export, I suppose. They had those huge Police lights on the roofs with doors coloured white and the remaining body green in colour.

Doors coloured white and remaining body in green - sounds like you're describing the UAE police colours. But they drive BMWs and Landcruisers - why would they want a Safari?
Old 18th April 2005, 16:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Doors coloured white and remaining body in green - sounds like you're describing the UAE police colours. But they drive BMWs and Landcruisers - why would they want a Safari?
May be they were sent to Africa.
Old 18th April 2005, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
J But why would they be testing a LHD safari here in India?
Can you think of a better test bed? If it works here it'll work ANYWHERE.

I remember reading the South African motoring write-ups when the Indica & go were launched there - apparantly Tata brought a whole load of them journos to India and took them around the country (and the traffic) in the Indica/gos. They were impressed enough to say that if the cars can last in these conditions it will outlive people elsewhere.
Old 19th April 2005, 09:01   #8
BHPian

test the cars in india and they'll run fine anywhere else. our roads can throw up more dust and grime than even the paris dakar rally can i guess!!!
Old 19th April 2005, 16:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

typical of indian manufacturers to upgrade their cars half heartedly like this,.

Yuck, chrome around the grille is going to look very ugly on that car!!
Old 19th April 2005, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Have Tata's scrapped plans for the CRD Safari this year?
Rtech, wish you had manged to get hold of the engine specs.. A 'NEW' Safari with the same old pathetic diesel will be sad
Old 19th April 2005, 21:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Of course not, the crdi's almost here, I think they're going to launch it very soon if my memory is right. Is it?
Old 20th April 2005, 00:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

I personally didnt like the exterior touch ups done to the safari...
I hope atleast the interiors are good.
And on most of all .... whats with the CRDi engine? when is it coming? Any idea?

Drifter
Old 20th April 2005, 02:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

hope i'm not speculating but, what i heard was that its gonna be a 2.2 CRDI.
Old 20th April 2005, 03:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
hope i'm not speculating but, what i heard was that its gonna be a 2.2 CRDI.
So where are they going to plonk the 3 litre CRDi derived from the fantastic 407 LCV engine?
Old 20th April 2005, 09:00   #15

Even I was on the express way on that day and saw the same safari. It had LPG badge on it and the tail lamps and badges were covered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks