Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 10:44   #211
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The LX' pricing left me stumped as well. Definitely not the VFM that we have come to associate the Nano with. In addition, the LX is dangerously close to the 800 + Alto pricing.

Buttttttttttttttttttt the Nano is NOT about the LX variant at all, it is the entry level that is the rock star (in terms of the starting point of 4 wheeler mobility). The mid-level will garner the second most volumes.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:59   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The LX' pricing left me stumped as well. Definitely not the VFM that we have come to associate the Nano with. In addition, the LX is dangerously close to the 800 + Alto pricing.

Buttttttttttttttttttt the Nano is NOT about the LX variant at all, it is the entry level that is the rock star (in terms of the starting point of 4 wheeler mobility). The mid-level will garner the second most volumes.
GTO I think you are missing an important point here.

The nano is a unique car, and it's sales performance will be decided not by the bookings made by the people, rather by the boffins at TATA, who will look to maximize their profits.

As the demand will far outstrip supply, TATA will get a free run in deciding which models to produce in what quantity. So they will focus on the higher end LX and CX models, and produce the lowest end model in paltry numbers.

People will have no choice but to go for the CX and LX.

By doing this, they take care of their bottom line while still keeping that '1 lac rupee car' flag flying.

Anyone disagree with this ?
Old 9th April 2009, 11:35   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
GTO I think you are missing an important point here.

The nano is a unique car, and it's sales performance will be decided not by the bookings made by the people, rather by the boffins at TATA, who will look to maximize their profits.

As the demand will far outstrip supply, TATA will get a free run in deciding which models to produce in what quantity. So they will focus on the higher end LX and CX models, and produce the lowest end model in paltry numbers.

By doing this, they take care of their bottom line while still keeping that '1 lac rupee car' flag flying.

Anyone disagree with this ?

I agree with the above, TATA are going to produce very low numbers of the low end varient and basically bank on the CX and LX varient to make money, and the LX varient is where I don't see VFM. I think a 2 yr old Zen Estelo can be bought for 2.10 lakhs, and that would be much better VFM than the NANO, atleast the engine and AC are much better in the Estelo.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:46   #214
BHPian

In Bangalore, there's talk of nano replacing autos
Autodrivers want a Nano revolution
Old 9th April 2009, 12:29   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

They have already announced to the media that 50% of the production would be base version ( I remember reading that sometime after the launch on 23rd March). Now the assurances need not be honoured, maybe they would maximize their profits by putting out more CX and LX's..
Old 9th April 2009, 12:37   #216
BHPian

Cant imagine a Auto Nano running on CNG having FE of 35 KMPL.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:43   #217
Senior - BHPian

1.55 lacs on road in bangalore for the base variant.
pretty far away from the 1lac mark.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:46   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Agree, but looking at the size and the variety the nano offers.

Its truly a VFM. Bangy has the costliest NANO lx at 2.35 lacs.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:48   #219
Senior - BHPian

Cmon guys, Tata at the end of the day is not a charitable institution, profits are what they aim for just like any other private organisation let alone car companies. The fact that they had the balls to go this far is a fact to be appreciated. A co. like Maruti which a majority of us Indians have been loyal to for almost 3 decades have known about this project for so long but still hasnt commited to taking a risk along these lines. Trust me there are many developing countries round the world which have customers waiting for a product like this. But we've been lucky that the co. that had the foresight to do this is Indian. There are companies in India that have been making cars much before Tata entered the segment but never have been able to capture international attention and respect the way this young car maker has, Kudos to them for that.
This is still a company learning the trade and its quite evident in their products as well. But never before did Tata get a package so right as the Nano. We keep cribbing about the fact it should have been 1 lac on the road, performance not good enough, not enough colour choices......
But tell me what else can you buy for the exact same price. Dont tell me a second hand car, because if that was the case all these people booking a Nano would have ahad a car aldready, were talking about owning a new car here.
Then we are left with the stalwart M800. Its still priced at least 30% above the base Nano. Its older than most of us in this forum. It has its advantages but it is not as spacious, as fuel efficient. as safe, as good looking and finally not as cheap as the Nano.
As to demand and supply, Please forward your complaints to the following address
MamtaAunty.con
Old 9th April 2009, 13:50   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
I believe its because of the high tax rate in bangalore rather than increase in ex showroom of Nano.

@shortbread- Thats a funny address

Last edited by harry10 : 9th April 2009 at 13:52.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:10   #221
BHPian

any tbhpian booked a nano yet ?
Old 9th April 2009, 15:22   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
any tbhpian booked a nano yet ?
I tried booking my Nano LX online. However, i couldnt complete the last step i.e. making payment, coz i realised there is hardly any fund in my account !

I am thinking of UBI who is financing @ 9% for a whooping amount of RS.140000/-
Old 9th April 2009, 16:22   #223
BHPian

I did today early afternoon, the top end LX variant through Tata Finance. I had to submit a few documents and give a cheque for the booking amount. Was done in 10 minutes.
Old 9th April 2009, 23:50   #224
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Wasan Motors (Borivali) today. He told me he's sold 1000 forms in all across all of their showrooms. I personally saw a list of 150 odd names when my friend bought a form for himself.

VFM car. Very very spacious!
Old 10th April 2009, 15:06   #225
BANNED

I am eagerly awaiting how Tatas are going to ... finance their purchase of Jag^W^W^W^W^W ... fare in Nano bookings. ;-P

The Hindu Business Line : Nano booking counters bustle with activity on Day 1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks