Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 13:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Guys!

Read this!!

Very interesting thoughts from the US junta about the NANO!!
If that link reflects the mood of the US junta, then Nano would be a BIG hit there!
Old 28th February 2009, 15:21   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Guys!

Read this!!

Very interesting thoughts from the US junta about the NANO!!
Nice find. Read the whole thing and made a few posts about it myself especially to those who are against the car!
Old 1st March 2009, 14:04   #108
BHPian

Here are some pictures of Base version being tested on Pune-Bangalore highway.
(BTW these were not taken by me, credit goes to Ravi Dixit@nowpublic.com)

Old 1st March 2009, 16:56   #109
Senior - BHPian

Those wheels are tiny..this car must have a high centre of gravity.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:25   #110
BHPian

God! Please do something to delay Nano. I can't even imagine about life after Nano. Already 30 km drive from my home to office takes close to 1.5 Hours. After Nano I don't know what will happen to the Delhi roads.
Old 2nd March 2009, 00:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel.honey View Post
God! Please do something to delay Nano. I can't even imagine about life after Nano. Already 30 km drive from my home to office takes close to 1.5 Hours. After Nano I don't know what will happen to the Delhi roads.
My friend, get rid of your car first then tell the world not to buy car!
My US colleages were asking me the possibility of importing nano.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:09   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you could yourself take public transport, and also convince a lot of others to do the same, life would be a lot better! What can/cannot Nano do? It will just help a lot of people who take their whole families around in motorbikes.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:36   #113
Senior - BHPian

The entire UK is in square km area less than the square km area of Andhra Pradesh and there are approximately 32million vehicles on the road there at any given time. What is all the fuss about?. I say "Go Nano" and may it revolutionize travel in India.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:59   #114
BHPian

Diesel variant of Nano likely by next year

TATA Motors could follow up the launch of Nano’s petrol variant on March 23 with a diesel variant by the middle of next year. "We are
part-suppliers for the diesel part-suppliers for the diesel version and have been asked to start supplying to the Tatas in six months," a vendor told ET.

"If vendors start supplying by August-September, the company should be able to roll out the diesel version by the middle of next year after extensively testing the product."

Multiple auto industry sources indicated this version could come with a price tag of Rs 2 lakh, making it the cheapest diesel car. The Tata Indicab, priced at Rs 3.06-3.3 lakh ex-showroom, is currently the cheapest diesel car. Against this, the base variant (without AC) of the petrol Nano will be priced at Rs 1 lakh (ex-showroom) and deluxe variants could cost Rs 1.4-1.6 lakh.

In response to an email query about the launch of the diesel version, Tata Motors said, "We would make the announcement at an appropriate time."

However, a company source said Tata Motors is unlikely to manufacture diesel Nanos at its interim facility in Pantnagar. As the company has tested the gasoline engine, it will ramp up capacity of the petrol variant. Once the Sanand (Gujarat) facility comes up and a sufficient number of petrol Nanos are built, it could start with the diesel variant, the source added.

Currently, the company plans to produce petrol variants from its Pantnagar facility. Industrial experts said the demand for diesel versions could be high because of Tata Motors’ strength in the diesel vehicle segment. "Historically, Tata Motors has fared much better in all of their diesel versions compared with petrol versions," said
an analyst.

Ratan Tata chairman Tata Group, while unveiling the Nano at the Delhi Motor Show in January 2008, had said the petrol versions would be followed by diesel versions.

Other vendors, when asked about the launch of the Nano diesel, said they had been asked to develop products for diesel versions. "We are suppliers for petrol as well as diesel versions. We have developed products and would be able to supply to the Tatas at one month’s notice," said a vendor who supplies engine parts for Nano.

Vendors also told ET, for March and April, the company has asked them to supply components for 1,000-1,500 Nano units. Moreover, the company is believed to have manufactured 600 units in February. These 600 units would be sent to all dealers throughout India for display after March 23.

If industry sources are to be believed, the Nano diesel would be powered by a 624-cc engine as its petrol counterpart. The company is also looking at higher engine options like a 684cc two-cylinder DiCor diesel engine. The diesel Nano would be available in three versions — basic, deluxe and luxury.

Diesel variant of Nano likely by next year- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 4th March 2009, 12:06   #115
BHPian

Tata Motors has advanced the booking date of Nano, touted as the world's cheapest car, in India by three weeks to coincide with its commercial launch on March 23 in the home country.

"The bookings will start from March 23 and delivery will start from the first week of April,

source: IBNLIVE.

-MUKE

Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors

this has the details of model, standard and luxury..

-MUKE

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th March 2009 at 12:29. Reason: back to back posts
Old 4th March 2009, 12:09   #116
BHPian

Booking dates advanced to coincide with launch on March 23rd

Tatas are opening the bookings also on March 23rd along with launch and thus advancing it from April. Read report >
Tata Motors advances Nano booking date to March 23
Old 4th March 2009, 13:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

saw a news on the tv that the booking form will be availeble at the state bank of india for Rs 500/=

how can they charge 500/= for the booking form
Old 4th March 2009, 17:03   #118
BHPian

Quote:
For first time, I am feeling really bad over a thread in tbhp. Are we (most) against the idea of common people getting a chance to own a car? Are we under the mindset that roads are only meant for rich? Maybe that explains, why we don't give a damn for the pedestrians on road, isn't it?
Sorry, but many posters here are worried about Nano Launch when everybody should be proud over it.
Congrats Tata. Let the governments take care of the infrastructure issues, not you.
Note:- Is Nano exempted from road tax to worry this much?
Old 4th March 2009, 17:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
For first time, I am feeling really bad over a thread in tbhp. Are we (most) against the idea of common people getting a chance to own a car? Are we under the mindset that roads are only meant for rich? Maybe that explains, why we don't give a damn for the pedestrians on road, isn't it?
Sorry, but many posters here are worried about Nano Launch when everybody should be proud over it.
Congrats Tata. Let the governments take care of the infrastructure issues, not you.
Note:- Is Nano exempted from road tax to worry this much?
Very narrow minded thoughts, true. If a small government employee family can travel in a nano instead of a splendour, why not? Let the government expand the roads!
Anyway, for the next 2 years, Tata aint gonna produce enough to fill up the roads!
Old 4th March 2009, 17:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
For first time, I am feeling really bad over a thread in tbhp. Are we (most) against the idea of common people getting a chance to own a car? Are we under the mindset that roads are only meant for rich?

I completely agree with you. Maybe the tatas should give priorities to people who don't own any cars rather than to people who want it as a second car. I'm sure there will be a long waiting list and let the needy benefit first.

I know it will be difficult to identify car owners as people will lie on the booking forms. This is where the government can help by giving tata folks RTO support to see who is actually not a car owner at a particular address/name.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th March 2009 at 17:49.

Most Viewed