Team-BHP - Maruti = 50,00,000 Cars!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti = 50,00,000 Cars!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5136-maruti-50-00-000-cars.html)

Quite a landmark, eh? Maruti is all set to roll out its 5 million'th car this month.

Source : Economic Times Article

GTO

yeah quie a landmark. it is true that most of us have owned a car from the maruti stable once upon a time or are current owners!!

This is all because of their reliablilty and Maruti sure does know how to sell cars. Take the case of any of their models.... around 10 years old but surviving today with some new tie and shoes!

it is nice to hear abt maruti rolling out its 5 millionth ar and proud to be a owner of a six year old m800. clocked 95000+ kms and still going strong :)

the stability which maruti 800 has cant be matched.

hail m800.

shubbhi

Maruti, the maker that introduced contemporary motoring in India and gave millions of Indians their first set of wheels. Cheap to run, very reliable and has service stations all over the place. All the other models from their stable notwithstanding, the M800 is so popular that the majority still refer to it as 'Maruti', and not by the model name. Good going!

This is quite an achievement! 5 millionth car!
They brought the term into Indian car industry, gave us the 800, which is one awesome car in its own respect! Had everything one would look for..... fuel efficiency, reliability, cheap to run and maintain, small and peppy. Perfect car to start off with.

It is quite an achievement indeed. But, you have to remember that Maruti thrived for its first 15 years with virtually no competetion because of the protectionist policies of the government. If Tata was allowed to seek a collaboration with Honda in '85, they would have shown Maruti a clean pair of heels. Maruti is like the guy who cheated on his exams and got the first rank. But now everything forgiven and forgotten.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
If Tata was allowed to seek a collaboration with Honda in '85, they would have shown Maruti a clean pair of heels.

Thank god that didn't happen!... or else Honda would have had a similar fate as fiat had with premier!.... or say Mitsubishi with HM

I think most of the maruti cars are worthy of what they have achieved!.. But look at the baleno, a wonderful car that just won't sell! just because people in india have an image of Maruti as a manufacturer that makes small cars as 800.

Notwithstanding maruti's poor sales promotion strategies... its still able to sell and most of all satisfy majority of the owners, what more could one ask for!!

Quote:

Thank god that didn't happen!... or else Honda would have had a similar fate as fiat had with premier!.... or say Mitsubishi with HM
Now, why would you say that? Both TATA and Honda are professionally managed companies and this would have been a match made in heaven. PAL and Fiat are 2 of the worst managed auto companies. FIAT is now bankrupt (so is Mitsu) and PAL went bellyup.The Doshis screwed up not only Fiat's but also Peugeot's future in India.

wow thats some news and no doubt that its no:1 in the country. i have had a maruti in my family before i was born i am talking the first 800 series. i had 3 of them then i still have 2 of them since 20 years now. current line up also includes a zen which is doing close to 99500 kms right now still strong and a esteem as well. no doubt they have reliable cars.

thats brilliant, all the best to Maruti, I find myself hoping the Swift will be a success!!! I want one :p !!!

I wish to see an M800 to be 50,00,000th one...

A wagonR will be that car according to TOI today....
con-incidence is this is happening on Wednesday when the Japanese PM arrives in India...

truly a great achievement by maruti !!

A great achievement, but lets not forget that they thrived in a protectionist market for over 10 years which included production quotas for other manufacturers, denial of new technology and collaboration deals for others, et al.

At the end of it all, the Govt goes and hands it over to Suzuki on a platter - talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul.

That said, they are the largest manufacturer in India even if later rivals have done better than them in meeting export commitments.

Everything points to an automobile policy gone horribly wrong, since no auto major other than Tata and to a much lesser extent Mahindra is truly Indian. Contrast this with the way the Chinese have gone about it - if I'm not mistaken they have a dozen home-grown manufacturere. So what if some of them make copies - they're selling at home and now they're selling abroad. That is what an auto policy should've done, but ours has gone absolutely the wrong way and sold our market to foreign manufactureres on a platter.

From Chidambaram's moves it looks like the Telecom sector would head the same way too - with foreign partners allowed to take 74% equity after the Indian entrepreneurs have done all the hardwork and created a market in a quagmire of biased regulations...now the firangs get to take pieces of well-established companies with none of the headaches.