Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 18:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The badge sells, I accept. But how did it happen? Indians aren't born imprinted in their brain "A Honda won't let you down.". They got that reputation. They earned it.
As Russell Peters quoted once, you will see most of the Indians abroad driving either a Honda Civic or a Toyota Camry! That did leave an impact on our fellow Indian public.

The Hondas were famous in our family even before they could step into India and our family is bound to have a good respect & trust on Honda & Toyota even before owning one!

Whatever may be sales figuers, the ANHC doesnt deserve the 2009 COTY Award. May be the OHC Vtec would have won by a great margin if it was relaunched instead of the ANHC.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

I've test driven the new City and , though competent, it doesn't deserve COTY, in my opinion. And the price is a cool 9lacs plus on average. The SX4 should have got it. I blame Maruti-Suzuki for giving step-motherly treatment to the SX4 in favor of the ugly homegrown hunchback on wheels AKA Swift D'Zire. A little fine tuning of the SX4 would have made it a serious contender.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:54   #48
Team-BHP Support

SX4 was launched in 2007 nick.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:59   #49
BHPian

I think more than the badge, the FE and refined engine of NHC really helped it to fair well in India. If NHC returned just 8 kmpl, guess what would have been the numbers sold per month.

Rather than making a great car, Honda made a machine what most average Indian customers needed from an entry level sedan. They were petty sure Indian customers will embrace their cars if they returned great FE.
So they put all their effort and money into the engine refinement and improving FE, but had to compromise on other add-ons.

With this they could address the requirement of majority of the customers, but not all.

For me, I needed a car that obeys and excites me. Also with all safety measures.
So NHC was nowhere near my expectations.

Even the ANHC disappointed me. Good that I did not wait for this one.

Lets see if Linea can snatch some of the market shares from ANHC
Old 4th January 2009, 20:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
SX4 was launched in 2007 nick.
. They should have refreshed the SX4 and reintroduced it as a 2009 model. This is common practice in the West and Japan too.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

the A star and the i20 are contenders, along with the the vista IMO
Old 4th January 2009, 23:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

What do you say Diabloo ? ANHC should win the award ?
Old 5th January 2009, 09:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
ANHC won because of its superlative performance, safety, comfort, driving dynamics, fuel consumption and design. If Honda changes the grill and launches again this year, it will win again next year. Any doubts?
I only see a biased verdict here to support the ANHC win the COTY award.

I am not a SX4 fan (infact I hate every product of MSIL), the SX4 may not deserve it. The ANHC doesnt deserve it either for this year.

Fabia, Vista, Jetta, Altis & i20 all of them deserved to be there! The ANHC finally won it either by media perceptions or the media gave the award away only by looking at the best designed Brochures of these cars.

Probably you should take a TD of the ANHC and see whether it delivers all that it promises on the brochure.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
the media gave the award away only by looking at the best designed Brochures of these cars.
The media (that is the Indian auto media and not necessarily the general media) does not go by brochures but by more tangible stuff (moolah, ads in their mags, free long-termers, free petrol, junkets to Germany or any first world nation, etc). Car virtues are important but not essential. That being said, they would definitely avoid giving the award to a certified junk.

PS: After going through the Autocar's Nov/Dec 2008 supplement (on a specific car and its `descended from heaven' maker), who do you think will get its award?
Old 5th January 2009, 14:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

You would expect people to support their arguments with some substance. For people who think one should or should not win a award, why don't you provide the specifics and see if you can convince the others.
Someone wanted Honda to win, someone wanted a corolla to win and so on... You can pick what cars guys drive over here by what they say.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

This thread is interesting. Many think that ANHC should not win this award, but there is no consensus on who should win the award.

The final list was:Fabia, Vista, Jetta, Altis, i20, A-Star & ANHC

If the main argument against ANHC is that it is overpriced, then the same can be said about i20,Fabia,Jetta, and to an extent A-star. Vista & Altis are good competitors, and can be considered for the top 3 slots.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:59   #57
BHPian

Its time to start a poll if it is not started yet on TBHP to findout the car of the year award
Old 5th January 2009, 18:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

You know, that's not a half bad idea. A T-BHP Car of the Year Award seems very apt for a forum as large as ours.
Old 6th January 2009, 00:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You know, that's not a half bad idea. A T-BHP Car of the Year Award seems very apt for a forum as large as ours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
Its time to start a poll if it is not started yet on TBHP to findout the car of the year award
Guys, it was done in 2008. Have a look here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-2008-a.html

And the SX4 won here! By almost 60% votes!!!cheers: Says something about the car, doesn't it? Ok, Ok, lets not start a debate on that here .
Old 6th January 2009, 00:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

That poll doesnt even have the ANHC.... says something about the poll doesnt it???

This poll has all C segment cars listed, and SX4 is a distant 3rd.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ingh-king.html

Last edited by aseem : 6th January 2009 at 00:54.

Most Viewed